What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Michael McGuire - Kiwis coach

MKEB...

Staff member
To me it boils down to... are you a kiwi or not? Dont friggin pick and choose because you dont like the coach/structure. This is internationals not club.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
To me it boils down to... are you a kiwi or not? Dont friggin pick and choose because you dont like the coach/structure. This is internationals not club.
That all changed when Fien and Brent Webb all of a sudden became kiwis. Lets not forget Tonie Carroll.

You're right but Im just giving a reason based on what we've heard as to WHY these players left. And thats Kidwell...

MKEB...

Staff member
Webb and Fien only played for the kiwis. Tonie Carroll was a F*** up from the RLIF. That was a disgusting decision from them...and a dickhead act from Carroll himself. First tier to second tier was one thing....but first tier to first tier.

WellsNZ

Juniors
Kidwell is no excuse. If your heart is with the Kiwis you don't bail to play for another country, you stay and do whatever you can to best help the cause.

Plenty of other guys turned out for better or worse. Don't come knocking now because it's convenient and you want that money.

We can't use shit decisions like Carroll to justify decisions in 2018.

Article in The Australian states that McGuire wants JT2 and Ponga to play for New Zealand.

Why would Ponga play for us?
Born in WA, Dad is Kiwi, lived in NZ for a 5 years, back to QLD 2011.

Hard to pass up the Origin money.
Plus if he wants fullback he has RTS in front.
Want it to happen but don't see it happening.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Well coach McGuire realises our LACK of depth and he's going after all the players that left Kidwells team. McGuire has opened the door for Taumalolo and co to come back now that Kidwells gone. Those guys could be playing for the Kiwis very soon and Im all for whatever helps us to win. Thats the realisation some of us need to come to grips with.

WellsNZ

Juniors
I'd rather win by building a strong team culture than pander to guys who use the jersey when it suits them and come next world cup may decide it doesn't suit them again.

Need to set the message now, if you're a Kiwi you're a Kiwi, if you're not you're not and we'll build something with those who are.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
My current kiwis based on form in the NRL so far

1. RTS
2. Fusitua
3. Kata
4. Takairangi
5. Rapana
6. Marshall
7. Johnson
8. Taupau
9. Luke
10. Bromwich
11. Mau
12. Harris
13. Taumalolo

14. Smith
15. Mannering
16. Tapine
17. Asofa-Solomona

Burns

First Grade
Is there no other centre then Takairangi? He didn’t impress during the World Cup.

Also, there’s 3 or 4 players there who would probably play for Tonga instead (Kata, Fus, Mau, Taumalolo)

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Is there no other centre then Takairangi? He didn’t impress during the World Cup.

Also, there’s 3 or 4 players there who would probably play for Tonga instead (Kata, Fus, Mau, Taumalolo)
I use to like Takairangi but over the last year he's performed under my expectations. He tried hard in last years RLWC but last night I thought he had a solid showing and he defends better than Hiku and thats why I picked him over Hiku. Whare and Beale are out so thats why they are not selected.

I like how you mentioned the word 'probably' in regards to who Tongan boys will play for. Look, we don't know what those guys would do, but we do know the door is now open for them to come back and try get into our higher paying team should they want to. Like McGuire - I'm hoping the former kiwis can put their hands up for selection.

At this stage, just look at that Kiwis line up now! With those names from the Tongan team added, Ive already built a killer Kiwis team. THATS what McGuire will be chasing or something similar.

Last edited:

Burns

First Grade
Oh completely agree. I guess we’ll find out in a month what the NZ squad will be for the next few years? If Tongans commit to Tonga, then that would be it surely?

Interesting times ahead.

JJ

Immortal
For international league to have proper credibility, players can't swap nations at a whim.

I had thought the Tongan players would follow Fifita and stay with Tonga, hope that's the case too TBH

sup42

Juniors
I am trying to imagine a scenario where a bunch of All blacks go off and play for England because their Heritage allows this,

A new All Black coach is appointed and he wants to woo those players back.

No one would support their return.

These teams are about pride and patriotism. Honoring your country as a sovereign nation in the world.

Blair

Coach
The Island nations rocking last year's RLWC was the shot in the arm the international game needed. Heck, even I noticed how good it was.

Why mess with that by going back to the status quo, where Aus/NZ take all the best players?

Reactions: JJ

Blair

Coach
Why would Ponga play for us?
Born in WA, Dad is Kiwi, lived in NZ for a 5 years, back to QLD 2011.

Phil, I believe anyone with NZ Maori background can choose NZ as their team, and stick with it, with no questions asked.

It's different for everyone else.

Last edited:

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
I am trying to imagine a scenario where a bunch of All blacks go off and play for England because their Heritage allows this,

A new All Black coach is appointed and he wants to woo those players back.

No one would support their return.

These teams are about pride and patriotism. Honoring your country as a sovereign nation in the world.
The All Black jersey is far different from the Kiwis jersey. The Kiwis jersey has a history of losing to the Kangaroos. Thats the history and its time for the future.

We dont have the depth which is a no brainer. Theres more English league players than NZ league players. All Blacks have depth. We cant compete let alone compare.

The Roos by picking Semi Radradra made their international team like a club to an extent. The Roos even picked Jason Tamou. My point is - the future is that international league teams will operate like clubs almost in regards to who players represent. Its kind of happening now with the Australians being the trailblazers and who do we always look to when it comes to league solutions? Australians.

Yeah yeah its great to be patriotic but its time to stop living in the past and wake up to our situation. Im sure if McGuire does manage to get some or all of those guys back there will be no noise from anyone.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Those players left because of Kidwell.

I remember when David Fusitua started out playing for the Warrior, I instantly saw the potential in him. I was gutted when Cappy dropped him and I remember saying on our forum that he would be a top winger one day and one of our NZ posters (not sure of whom it was) said "oh he's not that great". Now look.

Anyway, Kidwell always favoured Watene-Zelezniak over Fusitua and that use to piss me off. Kidwell picked an almost all Maori side instead of a KIWIS side. As a result of this and other scenarios, came the divide and the Tongans made sure that justice was served in the RLWC with Fusitua picking up a double.

If you know the driver of the car is blind, you get out of the car, you don't buckle up.

f**k Kidwell.

No.

Shame on you for this gutless post man.

I have no time for any born and raised Kiwi who decides he’s really Tongan because he doesn’t like the coach.

I will always support Fus for the Warriors but in my heart of hearts, f**k him

WellsNZ

Juniors
Curious to know if the people who don't want those who went to Tonga back feel the same way about Issac Luke?

He didn't choose anyone over the Kiwis, he wasn't given the choice. Not the same thing.

The others had a choice, they didn't choose New Zealand, so they can f**k off.

Latest posts