What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Michael McGuire - Kiwis coach

Dav0c

Juniors
When did I say it was ok for Kiwis to turn their back on the Kiwis?

What exactly is your point?

Well unless I am completely misreading your post, you are saying it's okay for Luke to play for Ireland even though he is from NZ and has never lived in Ireland, yet you are not okay with the "Island boys" playing for the Islands as they are from NZ and have never lived in the Islands. Can you not see the contradiction?

My point is that it's hypocritical to be fine with one but not the other.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Look you seem to think that everything the NZRFL does is right. Look at the turmoil NZRFL is in at the moment. We dont do everything right. We have people that keep making excuses saying "ohh but but but they cant play for them...ohh but but they can play for us thats because we blah blah" sick of these excuses.

Were both for the kiwis but I dont make excuses for us to make us feel better.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Well unless I am completely misreading your post, you are saying it's okay for Luke to play for Ireland even though he is from NZ and has never lived in Ireland, yet you are not okay with the "Island boys" playing for the Islands as they are from NZ and have never lived in the Islands. Can you not see the contradiction?

Nice.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach

No I would not be ok with Luke playing for Ireland if he was wanted by NZ

I already said that if a ‘secondary’ country wants you and if it doesn’t ruin your prospects of playing for your home country, it makes sense to play for that secondary country

This doesn’t apply to the Kiwis who played for Tonga despite being wanted by the Kiwis

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
We took Kata. You talked about players of Tongan ethnicity being NZers because they were born here and never been to Tonga. Well Kata was born in Tonga and by your logic he shouldve played for Tonga but he played for us and Im happy about that.

If I was Tongan, theoretically I would be pissed about Kata playing for NZ.

However, realistically if I was Tongan I would probably recognise we don’t even have enough players to form a team. I also probably wouldn’t be a rugby league fan.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
This whole debate is such a nonsense because there simply aren’t Tongan or Samoan players. We are just shuffling Kiwis and Aussies.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
No I would not be ok with Luke playing for Ireland if he was wanted by NZ

I already said that if a ‘secondary’ country wants you and if it doesn’t ruin your prospects of playing for your home country, it makes sense to play for that secondary country

This doesn’t apply to the Kiwis who played for Tonga despite being wanted by the Kiwis
The Tongans chose to play for Tonga.​

Luke chose to play for Ireland. Regardless whether he got dropped or not he still what? What did he do? Oh he did EXACTLY THE SAME as the Tongans and then CHOSE to play for his irish heritage.

Luke didnt get pick was his reason. Ok reason is now a thing right. Well check this out - Taumalolo and co had a REASON too, they didnt like the coach.

If your kiwis coach tells you to go and play a brand of footy that will lose games, do you still play? Hell no. You tell the coach to get f**ked. f**k Kudwell.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Yes, ‘not getting picked’ is a reason. Why are you trying to make out like it isn’t? If you don’t get picked, you don’t have a choice.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
If I was Tongan, theoretically I would be pissed about Kata playing for NZ.

However, realistically if I was Tongan I would probably recognise we don’t even have enough players to form a team. I also probably wouldn’t be a rugby league fan.
OMG you have every excuse to make us kiwis feel better. Us kiwis just never do anything wrong do we as far as youre concerned lol.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I have no problem with Vatuvei playing for Tonga, for example, because he had been ditched by the Kiwis (not to mention his 10 years of service to the country of his nationality)

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Yes, ‘not getting picked’ is a reason. Why are you trying to make out like it isn’t? If you don’t get picked, you don’t have a choice.
The Tongans had a reason too. Only there one was clear before they broke apart. I posted about a divide in the camp and then weeks or months later, the Tongans defected. I know league.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
- play for the country you are from

- if they won’t have you, you can play for some other ‘heritage’ nation if you qualify

This is so f**king simple and you are somehow trying to flip it some weird way

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
You know on this note...I actually noticed a few years ago that Kearney seemed to be trying to bring in Maori players over PI boys...Kidwell carried it on

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
You know on this note...I actually noticed a few years ago that Kearney seemed to be trying to bring in Maori players over PI boys...Kidwell carried it on
Kearney did not start that. Thats Kidwells doing. He even got them sleeping in maraes. Lucky the Tongans left.