What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mid season report. Add yours.

Rich102

Staff member
Warriors mid-season report card: Can they make the playoffs?
1) How would you rate the Warriors' season so far (in terms of the expectations you had at the start of the season)?

Michael Burgess: A pass mark but not too much more than that. The team has done well to get themselves back into playoff contention, after looking almost dead and buried at the beginning of June. The recent revivial has been timely but has also underlined how inconsistent the Warriors were in the first three months of the season. They dropped too many games they should have won (Penrith in Christchurch, Canberra in Taranaki, Tigers in round one and Manly at Mt Smart) and those defeats may yet prove costly in September. But they also deserve credit for turning the situation around, in a scenario that Warriors teams in past years haven't managed.

David Skipwith: Six out of 10. A disappointing start to their campaign was at odds with the tremendous hype that had long-suffering fans so excited over the summer months.

Despite the great expectations, it was always going to take time for hooker Issac Luke to find his feet alongside halves Shaun Johnson and Thomas Leuluai, who were both returning from season-ending leg injuries.

They were dealt a cruel blow when Roger Tuivasa-Sheck's year ended prematurely with his own ACL injury, just as he was warming into the fullback role, but have managed to overcome his absence through their traditional mid-season run.

Those factors considered, they are sitting roughly where they should be at this stage of the season, but the true gauge was always going to be how they fared through the closing two months of the competition.

Dale Budge: Probably failed to live up to expectations at the start of the season but have dug themselves out of a very big hole over the past six weeks. I had them in the back end of the playoffs but didn't see them as title contenders at the start of the season and it appears they'll go close at getting there if they close the season out in the manner they've played in recent times. I've been impressed by McFadden drawing a line in the sand and demanding players follow. There was serious scope for it all to fall over and turn into a train wreck after the loss to the Raiders in New Plymouth but they showed some character to turn it around.

2) Who has been the best player and who has disappointed?

Michael Burgess: No one individual stands out at this point but David Fusitua, Blake Ayshford, Simon Mannering and Albert Vete have all impressed for different reasons. Fusitua has been brilliant at either winger or fullback, delivering on all the potential he has shown over the last two seasons and possessing an added physical edge to his game. Ayshford has been one of the value buys across the NRL - considering the expectations when he was signed - and should show more attacking spark in the final third of the season. Mannering, with the burden of captaincy lifted has been a powerhouse and Vete has built well on his rookie season.

It's not as easy to isolate who has been poor - the Warriors have tended to suffer from a team wide malaise when they have played badly - but at various times Shaun Johnson, Ben Matulino, Issac Luke and Ryan Hoffman haven't played up to their renowned abilities. However that quartet, to their credit, have been much better over the last five rounds. Among others, Jeff Robson couldn't replicate his Sharks form and Johnathan Wright hasn't justified his numerous opportunities.

David Skipwith: Versatile fullback David Fusitu'a has been a stand-out performer in a side that battled for consistency and cohesion throughout the first half of the year. The 21-year-old missed the first six rounds with an ankle injury that kept him out of the Auckland Nines, but has returned to find his best form since debuting in 2014 as the Warriors made their climb into the top eight.

He was a try-scoring force on the wing for the Warriors, snaring a double against the Broncos and four more the week after at Newcastle, before form saw him overtake Tui Lolohea in the pecking order for the No1 jersey.

An injury-affected off-season contributed to marquee signing Issac Luke starting the season overweight and several early off-key outings hampered the Warriors early on and cost him his Kiwis test jersey.

But like the team's form his individual game has improved out of sight as the year progressed and coincided with the team's rise up the premiership ladder.

The much maligned Jonathan Wright and off-season recruit Jeff Robson are easy targets, but both produced costly error-strewn performances that belied their years and experience in the game.

Wright has committed critical mistakes in important matches, which together with his limited attacking arsenal, have dwarfed any positive contribution he is able to offer.

Now at Parramatta, Robson struggled as a newcomer at Mt Smart Stadium, but was not afforded the same kind of leeway granted to the likes of Luke and Tuivasa-Sheck. The veteran playmaker had trouble developing a rapport with halves partner Johnson, who was also below his best throughout the first three months of the season.

Dale Budge: It is hard to go past Simon Mannering as the team's best player this year but we basically have come to expect that over the years. David Fusitua has established himself as the first choice player in the back three so I'd probably give him the nod. The big body at fullback just seems to work better than Tui Lolohea and he looks set to stay in the role for the rest of the season. I also want to mention Thomas Leuluai here too. He might not be the kind of half that could lead the Warriors to a title but unlike Shaun Johnson or Issac Luke - Leuluai can adapt and play solid footy behind a team that is struggling. He has been very important for the Warriors this season and it will be interesting to see how the club plans to replace him next year.

In terms of disappointments - Ben Matulino was struggling early on. At his best he is one of the best front rowers in the game but he didn't play like that early on. He has started to hit his straps of late and it is no coincidence that the side is playing well off the back of it. Much was made of Issac Luke turning up overweight and he played poorly in the first month but he's been very good since then.

3. Will they make the playoffs and what do they need to do to get there?

Michael Burgess: Yes, but they need to aim higher than that. Sure, it is imperative that the Warriors taste finals football after such a long drought. But the focus should be on a top six position - and a home final - instead of scraping into the final playoff spot. Finishing eighth means an away game against the fifth placed team, which will be a tall order.

In terms of making the playoffs, the home games against the Rabbitohs, Eels and Tigers are absolute non-negotiables and they should also back themselves to beat the Panthers in round 21 at Mt Smart, though it looks the toughest of their four games left on this side of the Tasman.

Aside from that, the Warriors will need to win at least one - and preferably two - of their remaining four matches in Australia against the Sea Eagles (in Perth), Raiders, Titans and Cowboys to finish comfortably inside the top eight.

David Skipwith: Yes, but they have some work to do. Returning from this week's bye they face a difficult test with back-to-back away games in Perth (against Manly) and Canberra but enjoy four home matches throughout the last six rounds.

The Cowboys in Townsville may prove a bridge too far but if they can claim at least one away victory against either the Titans or Sea Eagles, and manage to secure all four home results, they will be sitting pretty with 30 points.

Dale Budge:I think the Warriors will squeak into the playoffs but I don't see them going very far beyond that. Overall the club and fans expected a top six finish and for them to contend this season so most will be disappointed. If they do make the top eight I would argue they've done OK given the loss of their biggest off-season signing Roger Tuivasa-Sheck and the horrible situation they found themselves in after a couple of months of the season.

Standings — National Rugby League
Pos. Team P W D L -/+ Pts
1 Storm 16 13 0 3 216 30
2 Sharks 15 13 0 2 147 30
3 Cowboys 16 11 0 5 187 24
4 Eels 16 10 0 6 55 24
5 Bulldogs 16 10 0 6 99 22
6 Broncos 16 9 0 7 79 22
7 Raiders 16 9 1 6 68 21
8 Warriors 16 8 0 8 -16 20
9 Dragons 16 8 0 8 -125 20
10 Panthers 15 7 0 8 -20 18
11 Titans 16 7 0 9 -23 18
12 Wests Tigers 16 7 0 9 -77 16
13 Rabbitohs 16 5 0 11 -62 14
14 Sea Eagles 16 5 0 11 -69 14
15 Roosters 16 3 0 13 -114 10
16 Knights 16 1 1 14 -345 7

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11670837

- NZ Herald

Meth

Staff member
I would rate the season thus far at a 4 out of 10. Obviously, a lot of expectation and subsequent disappointment. RTS's injury is particularly disappointing, as well as the off-field drama.

Our best players have been Fusitua, Kata and Ayshford- which is somewhat surprising (to me, anyway). Our most disappointing, Hoffman for mine. Not the worst player, but the most disappointing.

Will they make the playoffs? Maybe. But I doubt they will threaten.

ozbash

Referee
1) How would you rate the Warriors' season so far (in terms of the expectations you had at the start of the season)?
5/10 and hopefully climbing. Disappointed with all the pre season hype re RTS and Luke.
Disappointed with the attitude crap that came out around energy drink time.

Cant split Vete and Ayshford. Mannering has been great without the captaincy responsibility.

Disappointed ? , probably Manu and TL.

Yep, we'll make the finals,, how far we go will depend on SJ, Tui and David Fus.
Team attitude has to keep improving and someone has to tell Cappy how to use the bench.

Recon we are capable of a final tbh...

vvvrulz

Coach
Dale Budge: I also want to mention Thomas Leuluai here too. He might not be the kind of half that could lead the Warriors to a title but unlike Shaun Johnson or Issac Luke - Leuluai can adapt and play solid footy behind a team that is struggling. He has been very important for the Warriors this season and it will be interesting to see how the club plans to replace him next year.

Hah, there's always someone, Lowe called him our most valuable player. I'm really curious around the 'really important stuff' Leuluai does for us, other than being 'solid' and such a good guy.

Incidentally I caught some of the Eels game last night, Jeff Robson turned in a pretty decent performance.

Anyway:

5/10. It's been poor given the roster we boast. With our attacking ability we should be piling on points, but most of the time we're just doing our usual scraping. Defence is moody as usual. Can go uphill from here, but can also go miserably downhill. Typical Warriors season.

Ayshford, Lillyman, Mannering, Matulino (in parts) and Thompson have all been very solid for us without breaking the world apart. Johnson seems to be getting a bit more consistent. Tevaga, Kata and Fus have grown leaps and bounds.

Goes without saying that Leuluai has been a massive let down, but it has to be said that RTS and Luke (who is just coming right now) didn't bring what was expected of them, and that was a huge reason why we struggled badly early on. Hoffman as someone mentioned isn't at his expected level either.

We'll get there, but it's a red herring. A great draw and the Eels problems means we'll be in even though we're really no better than our previous seasons.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
6/10 sounds about right. Bottom line is if you told me at the start of the year that we'd be 7th now, I'd have been reasonably happy with it. Still 2 or 3 spots lower than we probably should be though, I'd have been hoping for 4th-5th.

Players who've impressed: Fusitua, Kata, Ayshford, Vete, Thompson

Dissapointments: nobody with real expectations been consistently poor but SJ, Mutts and Luke took a while to get going and RTS and Vatuvei have had injury crueller years.
Robson was a failed gamble.

Last edited:

Rich102

Staff member
4/10. Cappy into his third season, 50 games under his belt. Two marquee signings plus some backup. And then we get the Whangarei trial when we get a second string side fielded. This squad needed all the match time they could get and the first games of the season showed it.
Poor coaching and some of the players didn't look serious.

Fusitua; huge difference from last year. Vete , Thompson, Mannering and Ayshford not far behind.

Disappointed: SJ. Maybe injured, maybe not. Totally disinterested at start of season. For a guy so talented still playing well below his abilities. Areas of his game such as reading of the game (ie where the holes in the opposition are and running the plays there.), field kicking and last tackle options poor.
What the team needs is SJ directing play and running straight, anything less is a fail.
Maybe a bit harsh but he is now an experienced NRL half. At this rate he wil be remembered for what he could have been.

They should. Doesn't say much about the standard this year if they do.
But then what?

Excuse time is over.

jaseg

Juniors
4/10. We have looked like this at this point for the last 4 years. That's despite Issac Luke and RTS (he played 6 and a bit games), the extra mileage into the young guys and the Ayshford surprise. Typical Origin run, the only way this rating is going up is if we sustain it... which is less than likely. I've yet to see much different from other recent years.

Best is Ayshford. From a maligned signing to the best signing, outdoing both Luke & RTS in terms of performances and consistency. Fusitua isn't far behind - only highlights how he should have been used more last year.

Cappy has disappointed. Poor selections, constant tinkering (the renowned tinkerman Claudio Ranieri in football just won his first major title - Premier League - after managing for 30 years... and guess what? he did it by finding his best lineup sticking consistently to it), questionable use of bench - really the only good parts are that a) the players still seem to like him and b) his stance over the energy drinks/pills episode (which may not have entirely been his, but I'll give him credit for it). As for players... I guess Manu. Missed most of the season, some through injury but others through his own actions (and issues, apparently). He's a senior guy and we could definitely use him on that edge.

60/40 leaning towards no. Haven't seen enough to convince me this is anything other than a general repeat of the last 4 seasons. What do they need to do? Not fall apart in the back third of the season. Keep playing good footy.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I don't see how it's anything other than 5/10. 50% is how many games we've won, and that's therefore the right indication of where we're at in my opinion. We get such a great advantage through the Origin period, and should be on 1-2 more wins but for a piss poor start to the year. We've seen nothing yet to say this isn't 2012-15 reincarnated - no matter what anyone in the environment or outside it says.

Best players, definitely both the centres. Ayshford has been the massive surprise to me, he's been absolutely outstanding. Kata has also come on in leaps and bounds from where he was in 2015. Fusi is going a long way to delivering on the promise we all knew he had, and people have stepped up over the last few weeks - but I'm not interested unless they continue to do so in the run home. Most disappointing? Shaun in the main, in the few times he's taken on the line he's come up trumps for us but continues to not want to do so. If you're on an NRL field, you're fit. No excuses. Luke's attitude looked like it stunk early, although we have to consider his family situation. Matulino needs to prove he's a senior elite player over a longer period of time. Hoffman has been very average, even when you consider the burden of the captaincy. A lot of senior players need to do better, more consistently.

Will they make the playoffs? Yep. If they don't, it will be the most monumental f**k up of all time given it is basically a top 9, we've played 14 games in NZ, easy Origin run aided by who we played at the right time, relatively easy run home etc. But if they finish 7th or 8th then bow out, this year is still a failure. We have to finish 5th or 6th. I believe we can do it.

TheDMC

Bench
1. I would rate as Meh, with more likelihood of going to Custard than Awesomeness (though all options still open).
2. Kata then Futs, then Ayshford. The first two due to massive improvement, Ayshford for being way better than anyone expected. Disappointments - Manu and probably Matulino for me. Based on what they can do and what they have actually done. Luke redeeming himself, but considering I picked him as the number 1 NRL player I wanted for the warriors a few years back, hasn't got us going like I thought he would.
3. Probably. But considering over half the competition this year is mud, that is no great achievement.

Meth

Staff member
Did you know that Ayshford is only 28? If he keeps his form up, he could have his contract extended and be more than just a stop gap measure.

Blair

Coach
Did you know that Ayshford is only 28? If he keeps his form up, he could have his contract extended and be more than just a stop gap measure.

Although Brent Tate arrived as a very rated player I see him being a good measure on what we'll get from Ayshford. A outstanding centre who will be with the club, and performing well, into his thirties.

Kudos to Cappy, he got this one right. Ayshford to start in rd 1, 2016. It was a headscratcher at first.

Last edited: