What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mid Year Signings

rednwhites

Juniors
Am I correct in thinking the option to make a mid year acquisition and a bit of money is there if the fit is right? I've heard Mary refer to having a space available in the squad numerous times. Injury hasn't tested our depth yet, and I am aware of having a few exciting young prospects, but if a strong, fast winger/centre, or perhaps one more big bopper upfront becomes available I think we need to make a move and pounce on him.

My mind goes back to 2010 and Mark Gasnier though I wouldn't expect them to be of such calibre. With some unsettled players at clubs elsewhere and, as much as I hate to say it, the need for a bit more x-factor on our left wing, this might be a necessity to strengthen further into contention for the 2018 trophy. Am I off the mark?

Dragonslayer

First Grade
We have one spot available, unless we are thinking of trading off someone.
There is absolutely no-one that springs to mind (unless you want Jackson Hastings) that clubs are wanting to let go, even Manly need to maintain their 30 player numbers. ESL are not finished with their season either.
I'm guessing our 30th player (unless we have a dig at Folou if he decides to quit rugby) will be promoted from either our current development squad, Jackson Ford comes to mind, or from ISP wether from our club or another.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Am I correct in thinking the option to make a mid year acquisition and a bit of money is there if the fit is right? I've heard Mary refer to having a space available in the squad numerous times. Injury hasn't tested our depth yet, and I am aware of having a few exciting young prospects, but if a strong, fast winger/centre, or perhaps one more big bopper upfront becomes available I think we need to make a move and pounce on him.

My mind goes back to 2010 and Mark Gasnier though I wouldn't expect them to be of such calibre. With some unsettled players at clubs elsewhere and, as much as I hate to say it, the need for a bit more x-factor on our left wing, this might be a necessity to strengthen further into contention for the 2018 trophy. Am I off the mark?
No, I don't think you are off the mark. I am pretty sure that we still have one spot available in our 30 man roster. I am also pretty sure that we still have quite a bit of salary cap space for this year. I agree that another good quality prop would be perfect for our roster if one was available, but I don't know of any. Easts are probably in the same boat, if they haven't already filled their 30 man roster.

I don't know about us buying an outside back this year. We have Lomax and Mann who should already be in our side ahead of Nightingale, but Mary doesn't look like he is going to replace Nightingale. If we did buy another quality player mid season, it would most likely be for next season too. Unless it was Folau or Koroibete, I don't think we could use them. I don't think we will be buying Folau or Koroibete. Easts could probably fit Folau into their salary cap for this year.

PS While I was writing my response, others posted their's. It looks like we are all on the same page regarding Folau.

Brutalitops

Juniors
I mean, I certainly wouldn't turn Folau down, but why would he come to us just to play probably wing? Unless we are looking to offload Lafai, I don't think we have anywhere else in the team for him

No for Folau as he would cost to much. Another good forward would be beneficial, someone that can play front row and on the edges.
Remember we might have to pay bonuses for state origen players if selected.

Not until next year though, the bonuses are added to next years cap.
In reality, at the moment it’s only Frizell and maybe JDB, Hunt for Qld, maybe.

I think Vaughn has gone off the boil.

ViceVersa

Juniors
There is a rumour that we are trying to get Joey Leilua before June 30, released.

I know, I know, just take it with a grain of salt...

TomRedVRiver

Bench
There is a rumour that we are trying to get Joey Leilua before June 30, released.

Haven't heard this one? And after both Aitken/Lafai were re-signed, where would he play?
I mean don't get me wrong, I'd have Leilua ahead of Laf, but I don't think Mary will see it that way.

ViceVersa

Juniors
Haven't heard this one? And after both Aitken/Lafai were re-signed, where would he play?
I mean don't get me wrong, I'd have Leilua ahead of Laf, but I don't think Mary will see it that way.

One of those facebook rumour pages... I can't see it happening anyway especially how he's already signed to the end of 2020.

kit66

Bench

I'd prefer one of his team mates if we could get him up here mid year this year. They're not traveling well so maybe we could make a play. Papali, Boyd or even Whitehead, all of whom are good players just in a bad ( poorly coached ) team, a change of scenery could see them fire up again. Tapine also needs a change but I'm not sure we're the team for him.