What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Millward spills some important info.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Just finished listening to Millward's interview on the Fox Sports podcast today. I must say he spoke very well, he and the club seem to have a long term vision for the club and all the boxes have been ticked along the way so far.
A few interesting points from the interview..

- It was between 4 clubs to sign Hunt in the end. Hunt seemed very happy with our forward pack, one of the big contributors to him coming to the club. The Broncos offered him over 4 years at the end of negotiations.
- They see Ben Hunt as an "on the ball" type halfback. They will be playing him on both sides of the field and not just one side like the Broncos did last year and this year. They believe he was most potent when playing both sides (2014-2015).
- A big focus will be on junior development for the future, with several juniors expected to make their debuts this year and in 2018.
- Millward said that Mcinnes/Robson WILL BE our hooker combination in 2018. They seriously rate Robson.
- Garrick expected to replace Nightingale when he retires.
- The club absolutely want Dugan as a centre and ONLY a centre. They are after a BIG centre and they want to "pay him what the best centres of the game deserve".
- Millward said that Dufty will be playing NSW Cup this year and didn't seem overly excited about the idea of him playing fullback full-time this year, if at all for the Dragons.
- They see Jai Field as a Lockyer type player. They want to transition him into first grade starting at fullback then making the switch to 5/8.
- The club are interested in a ball playing "extension of a 6 or 7" style fullback.
- The club is interested in re-signing Gareth Widdop but didn't seem overly obvious about the idea. There was some dodging on this.
- Millward eluded to Widdop's experience at fullback which I found interesting..
- The club sees Jai or Widdop as the 5/8 in 2018, no other names were mentioned.
- Perhaps the most interesting thing I found from this interview was some talk about the coaching. Millward kept saying "a coach." For example, bringing a team to "a coach", he didn't say McGregor's name specifically. The most interesting thing I found was when Millward said "Regardless of whatever coach comes in, we want them to be aware that there will be a lot of good juniors there and the coach has to be aware when he comes to our club that he's going to have to coach them and improve them. We don't want to be a club where a coach comes in and wants/needs to change everything and bring in experienced players, there has to be a good mixture there". Perhaps referencing Hasler?
- Millward categorically denied chasing Jack Bird. He said "Jack will not be at the club in 2018".

emu62

Juniors
Just finished listening to Millward's interview on the Fox Sports podcast today. I must say he spoke very well, he and the club seem to have a long term vision for the club and all the boxes have been ticked along the way so far.

- It was between 4 clubs to sign Hunt in the end. Hunt seemed very happy with our forward pack, one of the big contributors to him coming to the club. The Broncos offered him over 4 years at the end of negotiations.
- They see Ben Hunt as an "on the ball" type halfback. They will be playing him on both sides of the field and not just one side like the Broncos did last year and this year. They believe he was most potent when playing both sides (2014-2015).
- A big focus will be on junior development for the future, with several juniors expected to make their debuts this year and in 2018.
- Millward said that Mcinnes/Robson WILL BE our hooker combination in 2018. They seriously rate Robson.
- The club absolutely want Dugan as a centre and ONLY a centre. They are after a BIG centre and they want to "pay him what the best centres of the game deserve".
- Millward said that Dufty will be playing NSW Cup this year and didn't seem overly excited about the idea of him playing fullback full-time this year, if at all for the Dragons.
- They see Jai Field as a Lockyer type player. They want to transition him into first grade starting at fullback then making the switch to 5/8.
- The club are interested in a ball playing "extension of a 6 or 7" style fullback.
- The club is interested in re-signing Gareth Widdop but didn't seem overly obvious about the idea. There was some dodging on this.
- Millward eluded to Widdop's experience at fullback which I found interesting..
- The club sees Jai or Widdop as the 5/8 in 2018, no other names were mentioned.
- Perhaps the most interesting thing I found from this interview was some talk about the coaching. Millward kept saying "a coach." For example, bringing a team to "a coach", he didn't say McGregor's name specifically. The most interesting thing I found was when Millward said "Regardless of whatever coach comes in, we want them to be aware that there will be a lot of good juniors there and the coach has to be aware when he comes to our club that he's going to have to coach them and improve them. We don't want to be a club where a coach comes in and wants/needs to change everything and bring in experienced players, there has to be a good mixture there". Perhaps referencing Hasler?
- Millward categorically denied chasing Jack Bird. He said "Jack will not be at the club in 2018".

Thanks Tom Interesting points. I remember Millward raving about Masters before & saying something along the lines of " if the fans are looking for our next fullback to replace Dugan this guy is it". He seems to not rate Dufty at all, i wonder why?
I know I am in the minority here but i believe Dugan is far better value to us as a fullback than as a
centre
Re -Hunt, sounds like they have really done their homework on him, which is good to hear

possm

Coach

WOW! So in 2018 we could end up with a backline of:
Widdop
Dufty
Dugan
Aitken/Milne
Macdonald
Field
Hunt

Coach: Hasler

Where has the implementation of this purported common sense and sound management been the last 5 years?

Yet another indictment on the club. Can't even do the basics.

Straight Shooter

GC Dragon

Juniors
After listening to that interview I have no doubt that Field will be the fullback next year and Garrick on the wing with McDonald . If Dugan stays he and Aitken will be the Centres . If Widdop stays he will be the 5/8 .

With talk up here that Mann is about to go to the Titans I think him and Milne won't be around next year .

possm

Coach
After listening to that interview I have no doubt that Field will be the fullback next year and Garrick on the wing with McDonald . If Dugan stays he and Aitken will be the Centres . If Widdop stays he will be the 5/8 .

With talk up here that Mann is about to go to the Titans I think him and Milne won't be around next year .
That would explain why Mann is on the outer with Mary.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Haven't heard any talk about Mann to the Titans?
Perhaps they're interested in him playing centre after missing out on Simona.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade

Cheers TRVR,
Good to hear they have 'real' plans for the club and are not just chancing it week by week.
Very good to hear about genuinely blooding the younger players coming thru.

Also good to hear there will be no fire sale when a new coach comes in. This whole approach makes me think that Cleary will be our man, not Hasler.

Hasler is like Bennett ............. get in all the big guns to try and get immediate success.
Problem is, that approach doesn't always work, as they both know ( Canterbury / Newcastle )

Credit to Millward.

Alec's-saints

Juniors
Cheers TRVR,
Good to hear they have 'real' plans for the club and are not just chancing it week by week.
Very good to hear about genuinely blooding the younger players coming thru.

Also good to hear there will be no fire sale when a new coach comes in. This whole approach makes me think that Cleary will be our man, not Hasler.

Hasler is like Bennett ............. get in all the big guns to try and get immediate success.
Problem is, that approach doesn't always work, as they both know ( Canterbury / Newcastle )

Credit to Millward.
how certain are you a new coach is coming?

mickeylane

Bench
Gr

Great review - I really cant believe the Jack Bird stance - I have excellent information that Bird is waiting to receive 2 offers before he decides where to go the Dragons and one more club (Newcastle I'm thinking)... and obviously Cronulla are the obvious favorites....He's very very close to Dugan and Aitken as mates

Damn the clubs past mistakes , let's look at the present and the future , as it would appear that the club has finally decided to do !

Mate, there can be no genuine change under an inept board and coach. Unless there are changes to key personnel, any improvement will only be superficial. There's not even a semblance of competency to draw upon in the current organisation.

Straight Shooter

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member

Really good summary mate.. thank you..

(Or, dreamy good summary, if I let autocorrect have its way..)

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Gr

Great review - I really cant believe the Jack Bird stance - I have excellent information that Bird is waiting to receive 2 offers before he decides where to go the Dragons and one more club (Newcastle I'm thinking)... and obviously Cronulla are the obvious favorites....He's very very close to Dugan and Aitken as mates

He may also be keeping quite about it if and only if they are in the middle of trying to seal the deal.

GC Dragon

Juniors
Haven't heard any talk about Mann to the Titans?
Perhaps they're interested in him playing centre after missing out on Simona.
Well if the talk is true . It was reported he has been given permission to talk to other clubs . The Titans have said they are interested in taking him now .

Gareth67

First Grade
Mate, there can be no genuine change under an inept board and coach. Unless there are changes to key personnel, any improvement will only be superficial. There's not even a semblance of competency to draw upon in the current organisation.

Straight Shooter

I do agree with you O.V. , however if they , the board and coach are able to turn our team fortunes around in 2017 , then that in itself will be cause for celebration .

But as we all realise there is a long way to go for this to occur . As you say , a more permanent solution to the Joint Ventures internal issues is required , before we can truly be satisfied .

Last edited:
Reactions: Qdf

Crush

Coach

Straight Shooter
Wow! That's the most positive post I have ever seen you make! You actually addressed another person as "mate"!
Love your vocabulary btw. You are soooo smart!

Latest posts