What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Missed a chance

roughyedspud

Coach
Its a shame nsw didn't stump up some money.

Imagine if we could have held all the 1/4s in sydney..two double headers at the sfs on the sat&sun could have been special...got all the fans together in one place,create a festival atmosphere..

Stupid nsw

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yep very arrogant of them, reckon they thought they would just be given a qf and semi. Feel for Newcastle fans who have supported international games well in the past. Shame rugby league fans in Sydney are so apathetic, they will barely mention it and the Sydney media will now just run the cup down you watch.

flamin

Juniors
At least we've got the best chance to have sell out games throughout Australia, NZ and PNG which will shut up a lot of would-be critics.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Shame rugby league fans in Sydney are so apathetic, they will barely mention it and the Sydney media will now just run the cup down you watch.

That was going to happen regardless. The scheduling has just given them an easy angle.

But this could all change if Sydney Rugby League fans actually attended international games, selling out stadiums and forcing the media to take notice. But they don't so we are left with a pretty unfortunate, circular situation now.

adamkungl

Immortal
That was going to happen regardless. The scheduling has just given them an easy angle.

But this could all change if Sydney Rugby League fans actually attended international games, selling out stadiums and forcing the media to take notice. But they don't so we are left with a pretty unfortunate, circular situation now.

Sydney has had 2 Kangaroos games in 8 years, and only 1 against decent opposition. Every meaningful match has gone to Brisbane or NZ.
A generation of fans being ignored isn't going to magically build crowds.
And surprise, when Sydney doesn't sell out a lopsided game against Lebanon we'll get bagged again.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
I would probably pinpoint the 06 Tri-Nations Final as the moment when trust was broken between Sydney and International football. This had all the makings of a classic and it was near on abandoned by the city.

From that moment on organisers were reticent to schedule large internationals, and with good reason it is fair to say.

Let's not forget Sydney will get a Kangaroos match in this tournament. It is up to the denizens to prove the organisers wrong and get there in large numbers, or will they sulk away again?

adamkungl

Immortal
I would probably pinpoint the 06 Tri-Nations Final as the moment when trust was broken between Sydney and International football. This had all the makings of a classic and it was near on abandoned by the city.

From that moment on organisers were reticent to schedule large internationals, and with good reason it is fair to say.

Let's not forget Sydney will get a Kangaroos match in this tournament. It is up to the denizens to prove the organisers wrong and get there in large numbers, or will they sulk away again?

Again, it's an obvious one sided match-up. While Brisbane rides their high horse on the back of yet another Final Semi-final.
Sadly I expect Sydney to treat the WC with the same attention the WC is giving Sydney - not much - and the cycle will continue.

Personally I don't believe using crowds from 10 years ago (with little to nothing since) is a fair indicator. But hey, the wonderful NSW government could have shown some enthusiasm for the state's main sport and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Pommy

Coach
England vs Kangaroos at the SFS would have got a decent crowd of both home and away fans.
But it's in Melbourne in a ground smaller than the SFS. Cretins.

Emu01

Juniors
I agree, Sydney would defiantly sell out the SFS for Australia v England.

We got 25k a few years ago there for test match against New Zealand but I'm pretty sure you will find the last couple of occasions Aus v Eng tests at the SFS was a sell out.

Looks like I will be heading to Melbourne instead.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'll be heading to Melbourne as well. Hence why the Vic govt has stumped up big $'s for the game. A bird in the hand and all that. Time Sydney and nsw govt stopped taking the game for granted.

adamkungl

Immortal
I'll be heading to Melbourne as well. Hence why the Vic govt has stumped up big $'s for the game. A bird in the hand and all that. Time Sydney and nsw govt stopped taking the game for granted.

Yep. I'm working on a plan to get to Melbourne, Townsville, Cairns, Perth, Christchurch, and Auckland.
I doubt many are going out of their way for the Sydney games.

Also how much publicity have prior international rugby league matches in Sydney had? Virtually none. Other than an odd mention on radio or a TV report, no TV advertising, no radio advertising, let alone print media advertising. RL administrators in general just seem to think that if you hold it in Sydney you don't need any publicity or advertising, as people should just show up.

Sorry but those days are long gone.

Add in why should I (let alone any other Sydney sider) pay top dollar to watch a lopsided match which I know won't be anywhere near an even contest? Add in the usually abysmal atmosphere it does not feel like an event so why would the average Sydney sider want to go?

RL administrators created this problem for themselves by taking Sydney for granted that we'll watch any old crap. Sorry, many people just don't roll that way, especially when you can watch it for nix on TV. You want bums on seats, give us something worthwhile which makes you want to get to the ground, otherwise cya later. Australia v Lebanon won't. In fact when people start hearing about the "top class venues" being used for many of the game, many people will deride the competition as a Mickey Mouse one.

Pommy

Coach
I agree, Sydney would defiantly sell out the SFS for Australia v England.

We got 25k a few years ago there for test match against New Zealand but I'm pretty sure you will find the last couple of occasions Aus v Eng tests at the SFS was a sell out.

Looks like I will be heading to Melbourne instead.

I'm planning on going down just hope it's possible to get tickets seen as they will be such limited supply.

adamkungl

Immortal
It's absolutely possible to sell a lot of tickets to a probably lopsided event, the RWC does it constantly.

Unfortunately, "Members Pre-sale, $35 Bronze seats" isn't gonna cut it.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Also how much publicity have prior international rugby league matches in Sydney had? Virtually none. Other than an odd mention on radio or a TV report, no TV advertising, no radio advertising, let alone print media advertising. RL administrators in general just seem to think that if you hold it in Sydney you don't need any publicity or advertising, as people should just show up.

Sorry but those days are long gone.

Add in why should I (let alone any other Sydney sider) pay top dollar to watch a lopsided match which I know won't be anywhere near an even contest? Add in the usually abysmal atmosphere it does not feel like an event so why would the average Sydney sider want to go?

RL administrators created this problem for themselves by taking Sydney for granted that we'll watch any old crap. Sorry, many people just don't roll that way, especially when you can watch it for nix on TV. You want bums on seats, give us something worthwhile which makes you want to get to the ground, otherwise cya later. Australia v Lebanon won't. In fact when people start hearing about the "top class venues" being used for many of the game, many people will deride the competition as a Mickey Mouse one.

It is always someone else's fault.

adamkungl

Immortal
The days of expecting people to turn up to an event by "word of mouth" are long gone. Rugby league needs to get with what all other sports were doing by the end of the 20th Century, namely advertise.

Get with the program. Brisbane is the best coz they pack out a medium sized stadium every year for a tournament final while Sydney shames itself annually when 0 people show up to an event that doesn't exist.