What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mitch Rein

since77

Juniors
I wish someone other than Rein had said this. There's no doubt we have the worst coach in the NRL at the moment, and that what the team dished up in attack this year was horribly insipid, but if Rein thinks Mc Gregor is to blame for his own terrible form, then he's kidding himself.
Its likely that 2 of our 2016 spine, Marshall & Rein will start 2017 in reserve grade - yet both of those players were Mc Gregor's top choice for their respective positions here.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
I agree since 77. Both of these guys and Widdop had poor years. No one wanted Rein
and I am glad that we punted him and he got more than what he was worth $100,000. Marshall was running on one leg. Surely Hutchison was a better selection? Three great? weekly selections for us to look forward to from Mc Gregor who is like an ostrich with his head in the sand. Maybe he could be a star attraction at an Australiana zoo out of the Gong?

franklin2323

Immortal
a lot of that loss is the under writing of the new academy .Penrith also run the largest junior league in the NRL .Panthers is one organization that run at a profit. But I do agree on the point of players leaving a club and bagging the old club .Hate seeing it

Better then a robot answer. He answered the questions put to him didn't just come and say it.

betcats

Referee
The only thing I think that he said that maybe he shouldn't have is where he mentions the other frustrated players or whatever. Let them speak for themselves there is no need for Rein to be bringing that up. The rest of it was stating the obvious and talking up his new club which is fine imo, can understand why dragons fans might not be happy bout it tho.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
What Reins said is what everyone already could see. No surprises there. Hope the club take not but they won't as usual.

Hope Mary learns from this in that no matter how crap a player is performing drop the player because if you stay loyal their is a chance they will not be loyal in return. Mary gave him favourable treatment and could have dropped him ages ago yet persisted with him and that is how he got rewarded for it. If anything Rein should be praising Mary because he gave him all that game time and potentially added a few 1000's to his value. If he dropped him like he should have he would be lucky to be playing for another club in the NRL and not in the Country league comp where he belongs. He may be on 100k or so but really he should be on less judging by his form in 2016. Good riddance.

One positive for 2017 is not seeing him in the No.9 for the red v. Probably the only positive.

Gareth67

First Grade
Im actually glad he said what he did. This will put pressure on mary to change whats being coached at training.
This also puts alot more pressure on mary.
The difference between Reins comments and Merrins is that Rein stated facts about marys coaching...
Where Merrin only took pot shots at the club for not paying players the salaries they wanted.
Good on Rein for saying the obvious out loud. All eyes will be on mary now!!!
And p.s... yes mary cant coach, but sorry mitch, ur development wasnt hampered at all... you cant pass, you cant kick, and you cant play 80 minutes.

Must agree Doc , IMO his comments were no worst than those of Mike Cooper , at first we are all infuriated with him for making such remarks , " the bluudy hide of him ! "
However he has zeroed-in on the main cause of the Dragons attacking problems that being Mr. McGregor . The only comment that I found to be insulting was the protracted contract negotiations , he was not performing on the field so negotiations stalled , what did he expect ?

As was mentioned earlier , the Board has once again been made aware of the dissatisfaction between the players and Mary's inept coaching ability .
How many straws does it take to break the camels back ? Should the total be of an infinite number , then the Boards back will also be broken , hopefully sooner than later .

Last edited:

Dragsters

First Grade
He said what he wanted to say all last season and what most of us, any decent rugby league viewer and blind freddo could see was happening.

Nothing new here.

TheFrog

Coach
Rein wasn't happy at the Dragons and his form suffered accordingly. The Dragons weren't happy with him because his form wasn't good. An offer came from another club. Rein took it. That seems to be the long and short of it.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
What sucks is that Mary is obviously clueless and the only coach that we had that did have some idea they let go in JD. He was our only hope really of improving the attack. It's not as if Hornby and Young will add anything. Matt Head is pretty good but you really have rookies and Mr Clueless. Extremely bad decision by the board and one that if it fails have themselves to blame and should be held accountable more than Mary is for keeping him on.

The Doc

Juniors
Looking at it from another angel...
Why insult marys coaching... and in the same story complain about ur contract situation?
Why would u want to sign a contract under a coach that has apparently "stalled" ur progress and development?

Uplifting

Juniors
Personally I would guess Mitch understated the comment acknowledging that the Dragons attack was boring.

It was the journo's decision to make it the headline for the article.

Red V for life

Juniors
Wait, are you blaming the players for the coaching/development deficiencies?
Not at all.

I remember a story about Bellamy in his early days with the Storm and a few senior players going to him and telling him he needed to ease up (to which he replied he would when they did as he asked).

The point I was trying to make is that I would have preferred to read about the players having done something like that. That's all.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Looking at it from another angel...
Why insult marys coaching... and in the same story complain about ur contract situation?
Why would u want to sign a contract under a coach that has apparently "stalled" ur progress and development?

Agree doc.
Mitch isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.
But most of what he says is correct imhp.

TruSaint

Referee
Agree doc.
Mitch isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.
But most of what he says is correct imhp.

Not disputting that Samy.. Everyone knows our attacking woes. Mary must take responsibility for our lack of points.. Buck stops with him mate. If we are to believe the press , he has 6-8 weeks to " get it together" ..

What does resonate with The Docs post, is that Mitch was in negotiations with us deep into the season setting an unrealistic figure based on his form. I stayed away from bagging Reins form for along time, believing he would come good. He didnt and had ample years.

Im sure his words were "led" by the publication, but Mitch didnt help his cause by slagging the club that gave him a chance. BTW, he will be playing second fiddle to a proper 9, and will see little 1st grade minutes IMHO, unless he improves his basic skills dramatically.

Kilkenny

Coach
I think Mitch Rein will be a great signing for the Panthers and despite the great form of Peter Wallace in 2016 I wouldn't be at all surprised if Rein is our first choice hooker in 2017.

Drakon

Juniors
You know what? He was asked the questions and was reasonably circumspect in his answers. He spoke the truth. No one can deny he tried hard for the Dragons.He's a likeable guy and I hope he does well.

FlameThrower

Bench
You know what? He was asked the questions and was reasonably circumspect in his answers. He spoke the truth. No one can deny he tried hard for the Dragons.He's a likeable guy and I hope he does well.
Not the first or last to take pot shots at former Club...stated what most of us have been saying anyway...

Slippery Morris

First Grade
The attack was not that great in 2015 so the issues were from then not just 2016. In the 2015/16 off season Mary mentioned that their focus was going to be on improving their attack for 2016. We all saw that in 2016 it got worse. What makes you think it will get better when it didn't last pre-season? Obviously he did nothing then and will probably do nothing these next few months. Let's wait and see we could get some surprises but having a committee with Mark Coyne as the only change does not inspire me with any moves made by Saints to improve their attack. Hornby/Young very attack minded players in their day (yeah right). I am sure they will have plenty of ideas to improve the attack.

VodkaSaint

Juniors
anyone watched his interview, he was def chocked when asked about playing again at Kogorah.
I really felt for him, his go no one to blame but himself