What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mitchell Pearce

Big Pete

Referee
When it comes to bagging out the Blues the 'in' thing to do is criticise their choice of halfback. At 22 Pearce has already played over 100 games for his beloved Sydney Roosters and is considered one of the best halves in the game yet he's under constant criticism because he doesn't stack up to the Maroons halves - both of whom didn't make an impact until they were 22 (JT) and 23 (Cronk) respectively.

I just have one question. Who is better than Pearce for NSW?

Come at me LU.

Mr Fourex

Bench
I think he's been let down in the past by his 5/8........i.e Soward.

The kid is scrappy (Pearce)

next best........Maloney

he's a kiwi

...isn't he?

adamkungl

Immortal
Is easily the best halfback in NSW. And will one day be the Australian 7.

:lol: @ Mullen.

Vic Mackey

Referee
i dont get the pearce hate, he's not the kind of half who will have 3 or 4 try assists a game but he is a good organiser and tough as nails.

problem is he needs a creative half (or fullback or hooker) with him.

a spine of dugan/minichello
soward
pearce
ennis

is ridiculous. you need either a hayne, carney, campese, mullen, farah in one of those spots.

instead of barrett/anasta (runners) and or soward (kicker) outside him not setting up anything either.

Big Pete

Referee
Nah, Maloney is from Orange - he's a Blue.

Worthy of consideration and he's been unlucky not to have played City/Country. Unfortunately, he's a victim of Country's superior depth in the halves. On one end you have a premiership winning five eigth on the other a NSW Cup scrapper.

It'll be interesting to see how Maloney progresses this season. I kind of get the feeling he'll have a Scott Prince 2006 season.

Mr Saab

Referee
NSW have nothing nothing in the halves that really scare QLD. Esp with Ennis as hooker!

sputneek

Juniors
Qld's second string spine of Bowen, Sandow, Prince and Ballin is still easily better than anything NSW can offer.

adamkungl

Immortal
Qld's second string spine of Bowen, Sandow, Prince and Ballin is still easily better than anything NSW can offer.

nfi.

Bowen's past it, Prince has been past it for years, Sandow is a nuffie and Ballin while an above average hooker is no Smith.

Hayne/Dugan, Soward/Carney, Pearce, Farah shits all over them. f**k off Ennis please.

He's the best NSW have got. Yeah, he isn't a brilliant half, so imo he'll need to be partnered with Carney or Campese for added attacking impetus. Preferably Campese, as he's a much better defender and not as likely to going missing in games like piss head.

timka4

Bench
when it comes to bagging out the blues the 'in' thing to do is criticise their choice of halfback. At 22 pearce has already played over 100 games for his beloved sydney roosters and is considered one of the best halves in the game yet he's under constant criticism because he doesn't stack up to the maroons halves - both of whom didn't make an impact until they were 22 (jt) and 23 (cronk) respectively.

I just have one question. Who is better than pearce for nsw?

Come at me lu.
this is the year

Jono078

Referee
NSW needs the Terry Campese of 09 or 10 where he dominated every single game for the second half of the season.

Big Pete

Referee
As much as I think Campese is overrated the way he was treated in 2009 was a joke. Dropping him for an over-the-hill Barrett (who wasn't bad...but was never going to deliver you an Origin series) ranks up there as one of the dumbest decisions in Origin history. He still has a lot to prove before we consider dumping Soward for him. Who knows if he'll even be the same player he was?

I think the NSW spine will be better this year for the simple fact Minichiello won't be there. His Origin 3 performance was worse than anything Kidley ever dished up.

Warrior@Heart

Juniors
Pearce definitely is not deserving of the scrutiny he constantly gets especially at his age, but he does try a little too hard at times which isn't entirely his fault considering the halves pairings he's had. I'm not sure who the answer is at 6 but whoever he is he needs to be a playmaker who will also trouble the queensland defence, Todd Carney or Terry Campese but whether or not either will regain form is another thing. Another player worth considering would be Jarryd Hayne, good long range kicking, aerial kicking, passing game, running game amd his defence although questionable at times is still alot better than Jamie Soward's. Farah should be hooker too, would add alot more creativity on attack.

When you have a creative genius like Campese at 5/8 you can get away with an average halfback like Pearce. You don't have that luxury with Soward.

adamkungl

Immortal
I think the NSW spine will be better this year for the simple fact Minichiello won't be there. His Origin 3 performance was worse than anything Kidley ever dished up.

Yep. Woeful. But tbh everyone was pretty bad in Origin 3.

Anyway, Dugan or Hayne are both much younger and have a lot mroe spark than Mini has had since 2006

Hutty1986

Immortal
lol, Campese has a long long way to go before he's a chance of grabbing the NSW #6. Might want to play more than 7 minutes for a start

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Is easily the best halfback in NSW. And will one day be the Australian 7.

:lol: @ Mullen.

:lol:

That's made my morning. Cronk will have a long stint there and if his course continues like it started, Cherry-Evans will assume the role.

Pearce most definitely is the best option for NSW at present, and he filled the role admirably enough last year. He has a sound kicking game and good defense, and does take some good options at times.

The problem for him though is he lacks a true football instincts, and seems to approach his like in a mechanical fashion. It never feels like he is in rhythm with his teammates and they often look stunned when the ball comes their way. His inside passing borders on absurd at times. Put simply, I don't think he puts defenses in two minds as to what he's up to. This puts him in a class well below the likes of Thurston, and Cherry-Evans to a lesser degree.

But no doubt he'll continue to serve his club and state for some time to come.

adamkungl

Immortal
Cherry Evans has had 1 season, lets not blow our loads yet... Pearce has had 2 seasons topping halfback statistics (or thereabouts :p ) , 08 and 10. He's only 22. Tbh and this applies to my own statement about the Aus 7 as well, a long way to go before we can say either Pearce or DCE has what it takes.

Joker's Wild

Coach
lol @ Qlduhs alwayz talkin bout NSW n stuff

Seriously though, Pearse is the best we have as far as halfbacks go. As much as Knights fans wanted him to be the successor to Joey, Mullen is a 5/8, as is Carney. The only other real option is Maloney and from memory he has only really played 5/8 in FG too.

After that is the likes of Wallace, Gidley and Walsh. It is NSW weakness and doesnt look to be fixed anytime soon

Last edited:

Latest posts