What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moderators

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
You pay nothing to post here so stop whinging, everyone has it good here.
Like I say you must never complain about the free service CH9 give. Bet you do hypocrite.

I am not whinging anyway, blow in, read the thread.

Mong

Post Whore
Sure.

I am no fan of 4C, why shouldn't they suffer like the TFC regs...

Yeah, I do know that replying to a post of yours means that I'm upset.... LOL

Yes, and "Rugby League is wrongly called Football".

:lol:

You did nothing of the sort my boy.

You seem to be worried that your 4C rep might be sullied if you get into a blue with me here.

hahahahahahahha

Made myself laugh again.

Your rep.... :lol:

No rep..

It's just not a 4C's thing..

Go back to TFC. See you there.

Syko

Juniors
Syko - the whole point of forums is for people to discuss, debate and argue yet here you are whinging about the fact that people have discussed, debated and argued.

you started the thread with a big sook post, not a discussion or debate.

Like I say you must never complain about the free service CH9 give. Bet you do hypocrite.

I am not whinging anyway, blow in, read the thread.

stop whinging

HevyDevy

Coach
Just occasionally, a member comes along with absolutely nothing to offer.

I hope post #454 improves on the crap you've served up so far.

Syko

Juniors
Just occasionally, a member comes along with absolutely nothing to offer.

I hope post #454 improves on the crap you've served up so far.

stop_complaining.jpg

Meth

Staff member
I've done a bit of forum moderation in my time- thankless task- it can suck the fun out of being on a forum, really.

The less moderation the better. The moderators here do a pretty good job- obviously because so many moderators are required, there are a few duds- but overall, I have no issue with them.

HevyDevy

Coach
Hevy,

You need to post a link to source material you post man, it's in the rules.

Yeah I know mate and I have stated numerous times in this thread that have no plans to do any different.

I was just pointing out a quirk in the rules.

skeepe

Immortal
:lol:

Great thread! Can't believe I haven't come across it until now.

Interesting story on how LU got started in its present guise... I remember that I started reading threads here in about April 2003, but for some reason never actually signed up until the great RLeague shutdown later that year, when Ray Hadley threatened to sue them or some such nonsense (can't remember exactly what happened). Never looked back, and my how it's grown since then.

As for the issue at hand, I'm a moderator at another forum and to be honest, certain people have a shorter leash than others - particularly if it's two posters who have a history of derailing threads. I honestly can't find fault with what millers has done... maybe an overreaction if it was an isolated incident, but taken in context I would have done the exact same thing in that situation.

Although that's the great thing about moderating... most of the time a few well-chosen words are all that's required. I know it's not about power for me (because I rarely use it), and I'm sure the LU mods are the same for the most part... it's about helping make a place that you enjoy visiting somewhere that you and your fellow posters will want to return to. IMHO of course.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
So in conclusion.

Millers is evil.
Hevy had a complaint.
Willow and Evilmilly have addressed it.
Sal and blade don't post enough
EA and roopy won't be doing xmas cards to each other
Other mods, like shorty, madunit, meth and skeepe appreciate what moding is like and what a thankless job it is, roopy and EA actually agree there.
You could not pay me and EA to mod
Moffo is oneye
Mong exists only for evilmilly and EA
syko is uber lame, does not complain about CH9 and clearly out of its depth
Willow runs a damn good site

And if you missed millersnose is an evil man.

Syko

Juniors
mr angry you missed..

sharks are scum and the shire is a sh*thole and you will be in tears on sunday

Syko

Juniors
Ahahahahahahhahahaahahahahhahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Barrett

Hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahhaahha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
the great RLeague shutdown later that year, when Ray Hadley threatened to sue them or some such nonsense (can't remember exactly what happened)
It is mostly a myth.

The fable makers blamed testy Easts supporters for ringing up Hadley, but they were ringing about a news article on the main page of rleague, not the forums. The offending article was a tongue-in-cheek piece about Roosters and the salary cap - badly written, but still satire.

In basic terms, the rleague forums, run by matto, were shut down because they had had enough.

They had some dodgy anti-Roosters posts and anti-Gallop posts, but nothing that couldn't be moderated. It was this lack of moderation that was perhaps the real problem. I imagine it became unmanageable in the end, and pulling the plug seemed like the easy option.

The response from Canterbury supporter matto was to shut down the entire rleague forums (not the main news site) and delete ALL the posts.

It is perhaps a coincidence that all this was going on in the wake of Bulldogs being stripped of their 37 points after they were found guilty of cheating the cap. Emotions were riding high.

But it wasn't just rleague. It's often forgotten that quite a few club forums shut down around the same time.

People kept pointing to possible legal action being the reason, but I kept hearing that it was more of an excuse for websites to rid themselves of these high maintenance forums. At the time of the shutdowns, in 2003, I thought it was just a case of forums being on the nose.

And they can be hard work. From a website's owner point of view, it easy to see how people might conclude that any returns from forums are far outweighed by the costs involved.

LU has also received a few legal threats.

Not long afterwards, a few Easts supporters on the fringe, thinking they'd brought down rleague, were in high enough spirits to try the same on LeagueUnlimited.

As you can see, LeagueUnlimited never shut down.

We still do get the occasional legal threat - ironically, a representative from rleague has made a couple of silly legal threats against LU - but all have been easily sorted out.

I have no doubt that some forums felt under threat in 2003. But given the overeactions, it does seem that the main players just needed to step back, and at least one forum owner just needed a holiday.

And millers is evil.

millersnose

Post Whore
its actully quite an amazing little period in our little world of rugby league forums

very apt for a politics forum to anylise in retrospect

a bit like the flight of the masons and other melodramas

interesting stuff

oh and i am evil