What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Money

Dirty Hoe

Juniors
I was reading the Sunday paper and it was going on about money players earn...it said that in the some Qld Cup players can earn up to $30-50,000.

Is this true?

I'd say teams with direct links to NRL clubs, some of the players would get that. I know one Toowoomba guy was on 60K this season.
Young Guns pay the most for their players then Toowoomba, Norths.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
There is no salary cap in the Queensland Cup.

Realistically, it would be hard to administer with three of the teams being simply the Reserve Grade team for NRL clubs and others having player arrangements with NRL clubs.

Who would you include to measure a salary cap for Toowoomba, Norths or Young Guns ? In the extreme example, if Shane Webcke was returning from injury and had a run with Toowoomba, his "salary" would use most of the allowance for most Queensland Cup clubs.

On the positive side, the Queensland Cup has proven to be a very even competition in recent years without a salary cap. This year there was very little between the five semi-finalists and the three above-mentioned teams were not far behind.

Yes, there were teams struggling at the bottom but it is questionable whether a salary cap on the stronger clubs would help them. The likes of Wests and Souths-Logan don't have the wherewithall to improve their teams even if the standard at the top is reined in.

Redcliffe have to spend their piles of gold somehow and buying top players from other clubs seems a good way to do it. The scum do the same but still struggle to make a impression.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
The biggest and most successful are Redcliffe, Easts and Wynnum, probably in that order.

Norths would be surviving while Wests and Souths suffer from locations which aren't central to the local population.