What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More ignorance of the laws

roughyedspud

Coach
http://commentaryboxsports.com/australian/nrl/vunivalu-hints-desire-play-kiwis.html

EXCLUSIVE: After starting the 2017 NRL season in red-hot form, Melbourne winger Suliasi Vunivalu has hinted at a desire to represent the Kiwis at the end-of-year Rugby League World Cup.

The 192cm winger, who has scored a try in each of his two games this season and is averaging 193 metres gained, played rugby union for St Kentigern College in Auckland for two years before heading to Melbourne to play league in the National Youth Competition.

As a result, he is eligible for New Zealand and Australia, in addition to his country of birth, Fiji.

NO HE ISN'T

He's not eligible for NZ cos you have to live in NZ for 5 years upto being selected..

He's not eligible for Australia for the same reason,he has another year or two to wait to qualify via residency..

Which leave only Fiji that he's currently eligible for

jim_57

Staff member

hutch

First Grade
Exactly right spud, couldn't believe this story when I read it. What is it with Fijian players not wanting to play for their country? It has to be more than money, these guys are well paid club footballers.

roughyedspud

Coach
“I haven’t made any decision yet, so I will focus on the club and we will see later on,” Vunivalu told Commentary Box Sports.

“Hopefully the Kiwis, but like I said if either of them comes forward I will put my hands up. At the moment I am focussing on the Melbourne Storm and hopefully one will come knocking.

“No-one has rung yet…hopefully I have three options, but I am doing the little things and not looking too far ahead.”

No one has rang cos you ain't eligible pal..

roughyedspud

Coach
Exactly right spud, couldn't believe this story when I read it. What is it with Fijian players not wanting to play for their country? It has to be more than money, these guys are well paid club footballers.

We've got six months of this shit pal...lol

roughyedspud

Coach
The sad thing is the eligibility laws aren't complicated,the could be printed on a A4 piece of paper,in large font,and stuck to every locker door in every clubhouse..

Birth - born in chosen nation
Heritage - parent or grandparent born in chosen nation
Residency - lived,continously,for 5 years,upto selection for chosen country..

There...how the f**k can anyone get that wrong?? Its f**king beyond me,it really is lol

roughyedspud

Coach
Jesus.. so chalk him up for a Kangroos jersey next year.. wait, they're not playing :rolleyes:
When/if he does his 5 years and is eligible for Australia without playing for Fiji in the meantime then fair enough...

But today he's shipped himself around for two nations he's not eligible for....he's a tit

jim_57

Staff member
When/if he does his 5 years and is eligible for Australia without playing for Fiji in the meantime then fair enough...

But today he's shipped himself around for two nations he's not eligible for....he's a tit

Yehp, but as soon as he is eligible he will be gone, if he doesn't go to Union first.

jim_57

Staff member
The sad thing is the eligibility laws aren't complicated,the could be printed on a A4 piece of paper,in large font,and stuck to every locker door in every clubhouse..

Birth - born in chosen nation
Heritage - parent or grandparent born in chosen nation
Residency - lived,continously,for 5 years,upto selection for chosen country..

There...how the f**k can anyone get that wrong?? Its f**king beyond me,it really is lol

I'd almost guarantee the journo who asked the question would have asked whether he'll play for Australia or NZ like they're the only options.. even though neither are an option.

roughyedspud

Coach
Someone on triplem at the weekend mentioned he'd stuck his hand up for oz or nz...

So I don't think its the journo that's led him down a alley

adamkungl

Immortal
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
They typically claim to be supporting a big family (or church) back home.

I wouldn't get too attached, likely he'll be off to Rugby at some point to be replaced by another very large, freakishly quick Fijian winger.

Get used to it, there's a clear cultural difference. The notion of being professionally loyal to a sport does not seem to apply (seems kinda silly in some ways really when you think about it).

As for eligiblity, lol. Get in line champ, it's Fiji or nothing for now.

deluded pom?

Coach

Does playing for Fiji stop him from being eligible for Australia after five years 'spud?

deluded pom?

Coach
It should do...but probably won't
You're right it should do but I was under the impression you can now name a "tier 1" and a "tier 2" nation if you are eligible. If you miss out on selection for the "tier 1" team you can then play for your "tier 2" team if selected. So Vunivalu could nominate Australia and Fiji and it wouldn't matter when he last played for Fiji.

hutch

First Grade
He could swap between the two every year, multiple times a year under the new rules. Just not in the same tournament.

He's not eligible u clown

Under the current rules he's not eligible. But he's never lived in Fiji as an adult, he should b allowed to play for NZ, as he was there for a couple of yrs. If he moved there at 17 I would say he should play for Fiji at this yrs WC. He's probably never gonna live in Fiji again and he will play RU for NZ.

deluded pom?

Coach
Under the current rules he's not eligible. But he's never lived in Fiji as an adult, he should b allowed to play for NZ, as he was there for a couple of yrs.
What a load of rubbish. You just can't let someone play for a country simply because they once lived there for a couple of years. For a start he hasn't lived in NZ for the stipulated time period and he doesn't currently live in NZ.