More irony and hypocrisy from Feminists/SJW's

Discussion in 'Four Corners' started by Collateral, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Pete Cash

Pete Cash Immortal

Priest forced to resign for telling it how it is

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...erm=275764&subid=6782835&CMP=GT_US_collection

A Silicon Valley pastor has resigned from his church after calling the city of Palo Alto an “elitist shit den of hate” and criticizing the hypocrisy of “social justice” activism in the region.

Gregory Stevens confirmed on Monday that he had stepped down from the First Baptist church of Palo Alto, an LGBT-inclusive congregation, after his personal tweets calling out the contradictions of wealthy liberals in northern California surfaced at a recent council hearing.

In emails to the Guardian, the 28-year-old minister detailed his “exasperation” with Palo Alto, a city in the heart of the technology industry, surrounded by severe income inequality and poverty.

“I believe Palo Alto is a ghetto of wealth, power, and elitist liberalism by proxy, meaning that many community members claim to want to fight for social justice issues, but that desire doesn’t translate into action,” Stevens wrote, lamenting that it was impossible for low-income people to live in the city. “The insane wealth inequality and the ignorance toward actual social justice is absolutely terrifying.”

He later added: “The tech industry is motivated by endless profit, elite status, rampant greed, and the myth that their technologies are somehow always improving the world.”

Local headlines about Stevens, who has faced intense backlash from residents and city leaders, labeled his tweets “nasty”, “vile”, “unsavory” and “unholy”, highlighting posts in which he called Palo Alto “disgusting” and said: “I hate ‘social justice’ in Palo Alto. What a f**king joke.”

“Jesus was a homeless Jew who said it was harder for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of Heaven than for a camel to get through the eye of a needle,” he wrote, adding: “It is very difficult to do Christian ministry, a ministry that calls us to fight with and for the poor and marginalized among us, in the midst of an enclave of wealth and power.”

He argued that the church’s rich neighbors could afford to “feed and house” all the homeless people in Palo Alto and surrounding cities, but instead focused on passing laws that further criminalized this population, encouraging police to harass those sleeping outside or in cars. The city had also made it hard for the church to provide meals for the homeless by requiring costly permits, he said.

In his email to the Guardian, Stevens was also outspoken about the harms of the tech sector, accusing Facebook of “completely destroying (through rapid gentrification) the historical black and brown East Palo Alto neighborhood”, which is adjacent to the tech company’s Menlo Park headquarters and not far from his church.

“The working class does not benefit from these ‘advances’, but cook, clean, and baby sit rich babies before heading off to home on long hours of public transit.”

Stevens said he was originally drawn to the church because of its “progressive Baptist theology”, noting historical Baptist figures such as Nat Turner, who led a slave revolt, and Martin Luther King Jr. He said he was also inspired by the local pastor, a gay man who had fought for years to be ordained.

But Palo Alto, he said, “wanted nothing to do with actual justice and was more interested in guarding their enclave of power and wealth”, adding: “If the wealth inequalities are not addressed, any talk about climate change, homelessness, and migrant rights is in vain.”

2. Pete Cash

Pete Cash Immortal

So these rich merkins like the morons at google who sing a story of social justice chuck the shits when called out for their gross hypocrisy. Liberalism at its absolute worst

gUt, LESStar58, Danish and 4 others like this.
  3. t-ba

t-ba Coach

Ahhh, California. Hollyweird in the South, Silicon Valley in the North.

4. gUt

gUt Coach

Tommy Smith likes this.
  5. Danish

Danish Referee

I’ve just moved to the Bay Area, and the homelessness is truly confronting even compared to New York.

I’ve had the “pleasure” of driving around Silicon Valley attending a few job interviews, and it makes you feel terrible to see makeshift shan’t towns erected amongst massive tech HQs and business parks.

The solution is absolutely NOT just building housing or throwing money at these people. It’s so obviously clear that mental health and drug addiction play the biggest part in driving homeless numbers. Funding centres where these people can be temporarily housed and treated - be it rehab or therapy - until ready to re-enter society is the key IMO. Doing that will require laws to be passed giving the government power to detain someone for living on the street, and then should they be found to be an addict or mentally ill commiting them for treatment.

Problem is, the social justice idiots seem absolutely fine with people living on the streets. The ACLU actually took the government to court to make erecting a tent on public property legal. There is now a push to refer to them as “urban campers” instead of homeless..... really focusing on the important stuff, those SJWs

6. veggiepatch1959

veggiepatch1959 First Grade

This thread contains over 3000 posts that fit your description.

7. Smack

Smack First Grade

8. myrrh ken

myrrh ken Bench

Is it really surprising that nerds are actually conservative misogynists?

Mr Spock! and t-ba like this.
  9. LESStar58

LESStar58 Referee

Hopefully the joint ends up in the water at some point

10. bileduct

bileduct Coach

11. Mr Spock!

Mr Spock! Coach

Some more on that....

MEET THE PALO ALTO PASTOR WHO RESIGNED AFTER HIS 'DISGRUNTLED, BEER-BURPING' TWEETS CAUSED COMMUNITY OUTRAGE

As you've said, you were communicating with a specific Twitter community when you tweeted things like calling Palo Alto "an elitist shit den of hate," and "disgusting." Underneath the eye-catching language, there's a substantive critique baked in there. Can you spell it out for me?

When I first moved here from Los Angeles, I had this year of research: get to know the community, get to know Palo Alto. So I joined a couple of activist community boards. Climate change is a big issue in Palo Alto, so I joined the one popular, left-leaning climate justice group. But everyone there is talking about how their church is hosting a Tesla showing; you can try out and drive these $100,000 cars so you can participate in "saving the world." There's no questioning the idea that we can't just buy our way out of the problem, and that more consumption on a finite planet isn't going to take us anywhere. It's just going to make it all worse.

We have bike paths here, and we would have hour-long conversations about how wonderful they are, and I would raise my hand and say: "Right, but our friends of color can't use them, because they can't even come close to affording to live here. How is that in any way 'justice'?" It seems that we would need to work on economic inequality, before we can ever think that we can be green, because otherwise it's just the rich people who get to be green. My critique developed from the ground-level activism that we were doing here.

The frustrations really start[ed] to well up. I would have experiences like this daily in Palo Alto, so, after three years of this, "shit den of hate" is kind of the only words I've got.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/psm...ned-after-his-tweets-caused-community-outrage

Pete Cash likes this.
  12. Pete Cash

Pete Cash Immortal

saving the planet by buying a telsa

just lol

Mr Spock! likes this.
  13. Smack

Smack First Grade

It's high grade. I thought you were on six figures? lol tight merkin

14. veggiepatch1959

veggiepatch1959 First Grade

$1000.00.

That's six figures.

Smack likes this.
  15. Danish

Danish Referee

And don’t forget bike sharing. Tech bro lefties love them some goddamned bike sharing. It even tells you in the app how much CO2 you just heroically saved on your ride.

The newest trend now is electric scooter sharing. So you can get your green on without all that pesky exercise

16. Surely

Surely Moderator Staff Member

It’s good to see that you dudes have finally come around to realising just what a massive hypocrite al gore is

veggiepatch1959 likes this.
  17. Pete Cash

Pete Cash Immortal

We are all hypocrites to some extent. Nobody is morally perfect. Gore and these rich silicon Valley types just dont want to accept that they are part of the problem. Gores policies as a neoliberal politician would contribute to the very issues he flies around the world offering feel good solutions for.

Say the 2000 election hadnt been literally stolen by the supreme court and the recount showed Gore had won Florida as its likely it would have. I very much doubt anything would have changed from an environmental perspective

Danish and LESStar58 like this.
  18. Mr Spock!

Mr Spock! Coach

Poor Rosanne....

Damn you lefties...

Cant even call n#ggers apes anymore.

19. to_ddeath

to_ddeath First Grade

Who's the culture warrior now genius??

20. bileduct

bileduct Coach

I get high grade here for $280 AU an ounce.