What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More locals

coldhardbitch

Juniors
I know we all need Carty and Searle booted from the joint, but we also need to bring more locals into the club, or at least more Queenslanders.

I think we really struggle to attract fans and sponsors from SE Qld because we're seen as a bit of a Clayton's Qld club. Our coach is a rusted-on Blue and our squad has far more NSW-men than Qld'ers. We seem to be a dumping ground for 2nd rate players that couldn't hack it/ were booted from Sydney clubs. Guys like Roberts, Mortimer, Sezer, Kelly, Carter, Tighe and Takairangi shouldn't be recruited to the club at the expense of recruiting local players.

I guess one of the barriers to this is our under 20's team is awful and has been since day 1. But the club needs to fix that situation, and become more of a local SE Qld club. Then our fortunes will improve.

Titanic

First Grade
Totally correct and we could get rid f the strength and conditioning team too because that is an oxymoron in itself when talking about those blokes. Every Coast franchise has been a NSW dumping ground and that has to stop.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
This thread caught my eye. How come the under 20 side has been so consistently poor? Do they recruit to the nyc squad mainly locally or throughout the state?

Son of Minto

Bench
They recruit from the Coast/Northern Rivers. The U20s side arent great, but the talent is there. Just seems like the club would rather bring in outsides than promote juniors.

Not to mention the best juniors from the Gold Coast seem to be at other clubs.

Lloyd Perrett is at the Dogs, Brendan Elliot is at the Roosters, Nene Macdonald is from North Qld, but was contracted to the Titans at one point. Jaelen Feeney is playing great in the U20s and he's at Newcaste, the Dogs before that. Jai Arrow is with the Broncos. The best non-NYC teenage prop in Qld, possibly Australia, Keegan Hipgrave is from the Coast, attends PBC and is contracted to Brisbane. The best schoolboy player in Australia last year, Marion Seve, was on a scholarship with the Titans at one stage, now he's at the Tigers. They let Hymel Hunt walk last year and they had Luke Keary playing for Burleigh in 2011 and didn't sign him.

As a Knights fan I can hear you. We need to go back to our roots which was local kids wearing red and blue. We had a massive drop off in our talent for a while and we recruited outside the club and it made the fans stay away in droves. Now we also understand you have to balance out the local juniors with top class players like Tariq Sims and beau Scott. I firmly believe that the next generation of Knights juniors will be the strongest side we have ever fielded once they reacha genuine FG standard. It will five years or more. Patience is the key. They are exceptional talents. Wait till you see Jack Cogger and Brock Lamb our 17 years old Australian Schoolboy halves in years to follow. When they turn 18 Mullen and Roberts better start looking over their shoulders.

Packy

Bench
They recruit from the Coast/Northern Rivers. The U20s side arent great, but the talent is there. Just seems like the club would rather bring in outsides than promote juniors.

Not to mention the best juniors from the Gold Coast seem to be at other clubs.

Lloyd Perrett is at the Dogs, Brendan Elliot is at the Roosters, Nene Macdonald is from North Qld, but was contracted to the Titans at one point. Jaelen Feeney is playing great in the U20s and he's at Newcaste, the Dogs before that. Jai Arrow is with the Broncos. The best non-NYC teenage prop in Qld, possibly Australia, Keegan Hipgrave is from the Coast, attends PBC and is contracted to Brisbane. The best schoolboy player in Australia last year, Marion Seve, was on a scholarship with the Titans at one stage, now he's at the Tigers. They let Hymel Hunt walk last year and they had Luke Keary playing for Burleigh in 2011 and didn't sign him.

Nailed it. Seems every year I am scratching my head as Titans let another prospect leave.

Big_nick

Juniors
Shit that is one of the most narrow minded bogan posts, "we need more qlders" seriously? you think people dont support the tits because they have too many NSWelshmen?

This is professional sport. It is not a local footy team where you play for your post code and thats it.

Yes local juniors slip through the system, but this happens everywhere. Clubs have scouts everywhere and perhaps the tits are not very good at identifying this and keeping them in their system.

People will support the titans when they play some football worth supporting.

Son of Minto

Bench
Shit that is one of the most narrow minded bogan posts, "we need more qlders" seriously? you think people dont support the tits because they have too many NSWelshmen?

Players from Tweed and the Tweed Coast are local for the Titans, and thats fine. Thats not an issue. Its repeatedly signing rejects from Sydney clubs that pisses fans off. It feels like the Titans have little to know connection to the Coast. Theyre a club for ring ins. Im not a Titans fan, but Im a local and thats how I and many others feel.

If you dont think developing more locals, and yes the majority would be Qlders, would benefit the club then I don't know what to tell you.

The best Gold Coast juniors dont stay on the Gold Coast. Its a problem and it needs to be fixed.

Skinner

Coach

This is professional sport. It is not a local footy team where you play for your post code and thats it.

Yes local juniors slip through the system, but this happens everywhere. Clubs have scouts everywhere and perhaps the tits are not very good at identifying this and keeping them in their system.

People will support the titans when they play some football worth supporting.

Dead right mate

Titanic

First Grade
Every version of a professional rugby league side on the Coast has been stacked with mediocre Sydney players and pensioners ... the failure to use those franchises as a platform to harness and develop local talent has always been alarming and the current mob are no better.

Of course we will have NSWailers in the club but there needs to be a lot better protection and identification of our youth. The Tigers have stolen the march on Keebra and we should reclaim them for a start.

Latest posts