What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More Whispers: Saint's Chase Rangi (Part II)

BennyV

Referee
Brad Fittler aged 17 (1989) Penrith, Laurie Daley aged 18 (1987)Canberra, Trent Barrett aged 18 at time of first grade debut (1996)Illawarra. All three exceptional talents brought into first grade early. If Jackson Hastings is that good we should bring him into first grade (2014 or 2015), he would be of a similar age to the above mentioned players.

That was more than 15 years ago, the game is different. Not to say he couldnt come into first grade at a young age, but you can't compare it to guys from the 80s and 90s...

Mr Red

First Grade
add to that Fittler, Daley and Barrett were a lot more developed physically at a young age compared to Hastings..
Fittler was already around 91kg when he made his debut at 17.

FFS no on Hastings for first grade. You're an outstanding crew of thoughtful and knowledgeable posters. Really. That's my opinion of this forum. But the answer for 2014 and 2015 isn't Hastings and it isn't Stanley. There's a good chance that there is no answer at all and that's depressing. But we'll get a lot closer by F***ING BUYING SOMEONE. Of whom Chase and Williams are the best available options (assuming based on history that we won't go out and tap up Reynolds, which is, of course, what we should be doing).

I'm sorry for shouting and sounding intemperate. But halfback succession planning and recruitment has been and continues to be a f***ing debacle.

Father Ted

First Grade
FFS no on Hastings for first grade. You're an outstanding crew of thoughtful and knowledgeable posters. Really. That's my opinion of this forum. But the answer for 2014 and 2015 isn't Hastings and it isn't Stanley. There's a good chance that there is no answer at all and that's depressing. But we'll get a lot closer by F***ING BUYING SOMEONE. Of whom Chase and Williams are the best available options (assuming based on history that we won't go out and tap up Reynolds, which is, of course, what we should be doing).

I'm sorry for shouting and sounding intemperate. But halfback succession planning and recruitment has been and continues to be a f***ing debacle.

My old friend it's always an Emotional rollar coaster being in love with this club, we all share the pain . Look Dr F, midway through 2011 we did'nt go down a small hill we fell off a cliff . This you already know . But what we must not do under any circumstance is let players Like Bird , Runciman ' Garvey, Hutchinson and Hastings go otherwise the bad years will last longer. That said we share a view about our front office that is'nt good and we probably will lose some or all of the above. Rangi Chase is not coming and from all accounts Williams is " Next year". Siejka is for the this year only at this stage. Btw are you interested in seeing a live band near where you live on saturday? You , I and Rexxy?

Minh

First Grade
add to that Fittler, Daley and Barrett were a lot more developed physically at a young age compared to Hastings..
Fittler was already around 91kg when he made his debut at 17.

I remember vividly a young Brad Fittler putting Mal Menninga- the most feared ball runner at the time on his arse in a front on tackle in the grand final, when Meninga made a break and was in the clear.

Minh

First Grade
That was more than 15 years ago, the game is different. Not to say he couldnt come into first grade at a young age, but you can't compare it to guys from the 80s and 90s...

It might be worth a punt as long as we have good players around him to help him defend, similar to a Beau Scott/Soward or Tonie Carrol/Lockyer bodyguard type player around him. The game is faster and stronger especially with the extra interchange monster forwards on/off but usually the exceptionally talented can do it.

Father Ted

First Grade
It might be worth a punt as long as we have good players around him to help him defend, similar to a Beau Scott/Soward or Tonie Carrol/Lockyer bodyguard type player around him. The game is faster and stronger especially with the extra interchange monster forwards on/off but usually the exceptionally talented can do it.

I think Hastings and Runciman might be a good bet in 2015 . After reading RLW i have a feeling Hastings who said how flattered he was by Saint Waynes opinion of him , might be off to the Knoghts

Minh

First Grade
I think Hastings and Runciman might be a good bet in 2015 . After reading RLW i have a feeling Hastings who said how flattered he was by Saint Waynes opinion of him , might be off to the Knoghts

I he's as good as they say then we should do what it takes to keep him here since he's already here.

Steelman

Juniors
To be honest cummins won't be with us next year (asked for a release), the Stanley bros will be let go as well I would say (didn't live up to their potential) and he is easily in front of crook for talent, so you never know he might be a chance but with the signing of Harry sejka that chance slims if he gets into first grade now and has a good run of performances.

Stanley boys r contracted till the end of 2014 they're going nowhere champ

inside_pass

Bench
I remember vividly a young Brad Fittler putting Mal Menninga- the most feared ball runner at the time on his arse in a front on tackle in the grand final, when Meninga made a break and was in the clear.
I played with Fittler in Commonwealth Bank Cup when we were at St Dominics and Mc Carthy College and he was a freak even then.
With his big side step he was untouchable. I remember we were playing Holy Cross Ryde and were down by 26 points with about 20 minutes to go and a semi final spot on the line.Brad was just going through the motions and our coach told him to go for it and he scored 5 tries in a row to win the game.
He was just so much more talented than everyone else around him and seemed to have so much time when he put on a play.
Those sort of players don't come along very often and he is a great bloke as well......very down to earth.

Minh

First Grade
Would have been a great sight to watch playing alongside him. Give the ball to Brad and sit back. It just goes to show that there are players and then there are very special players and he was definitely one of them. Would likely be up there in the top 10 players of the last 30 years.

BennyV

Referee
Probably not, but contracts don't mean much these days. It's quite common for players to be granted an early release

Other than Soward, I dont think this happens much at the Dragons, Dousty seems to be a big believer in the power of contracts...

My old friend it's always an Emotional rollar coaster being in love with this club, we all share the pain . Look Dr F, midway through 2011 we did'nt go down a small hill we fell off a cliff . This you already know . But what we must not do under any circumstance is let players Like Bird , Runciman ' Garvey, Hutchinson and Hastings go otherwise the bad years will last longer. That said we share a view about our front office that is'nt good and we probably will lose some or all of the above. Rangi Chase is not coming and from all accounts Williams is " Next year". Siejka is for the this year only at this stage. Btw are you interested in seeing a live band near where you live on saturday? You , I and Rexxy?

Dude can't. The wife and I have got a sitter for our first date since the baby was born. Who are you going to see?

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Rangi deal is off. He has a criminal record and apparently a hard person to contain. Not worth all the money for the hassel he will bring.

Latest posts