What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moses Mbye eyeing off Josh Reynolds' No.6 jersey

Johnnie Red

Juniors
Moses Mbye may be Canterbury's interim ''Mr Fix It" but the young half has his sights firmly set on snatching Josh Reynolds' No.6 jersey.

Mbye's form has already led to Reynolds spending time on the interchange bench as he made his way back from injury. Only injuries to centres Tim Lafai and Josh Morris meant Mbye has been forced to shift to the outside backs with Reynolds reclaiming his spot to partner Trent Hodkinson in the halves.

While Mbye – who is contracted to the Bulldogs until the end of next year - insists there is no bad blood between the pair, he wants Reynolds' spot.

"It's definitely a challenge," Mbye said. "I'm willing to do it if I get an opportunity. He's a great player, he's the incumbent NSW six, that's a pretty big banner. To do that is definitely difficult but I guess anything's possible. My long-term goal is to be a starting five-eighth at this club. That's the goal. [Reynolds is] one of my best mates at this club, we always joke around about it. We'll just have to wait and see. It's hard to say what's going to happen. Footy careers change overnight nowadays. Anyone can be anywhere, especially now. It's a halves sort of market at the moment, so there's going to be people who want it and people not want it. There will be a lot of movement over the next 24 months."

Despite being named on the bench, Mbye will again line up at centre - with Morris ruled out through injury - when the Bulldogs play the Tigers on Friday night. He has switched between the halves, hooker and centre during his 15-game NRL career.

"Five-eighth is where I would love to play my football," Mbye said. "That's where I've done most of my football at but in saying that I'm happy to fill any hole. Whenever someone goes down or there's an opportunity I'm willing to play there."

Mbye will play the Tigers for the first time since kicking a match-winning 45-metre extra-time field goal when the sides last met in March. It was the first time Mbye can recall kicking a field goal to win a game, having missed with a similar attempt while playing in the under-20s.

"I got a bit lucky last time I played them," Mbye said. "It was pretty special. It was something you watch as a kid growing up, you watch [Johnathan] Thurston, he's already kicked a few this year. Blokes like Thurston who I idolise, you watch him and do it, and go 'How good does that look? I want to give that a crack'. When I got it, it was a pretty proud moment for sure."

Mbye will link with the Queensland squad when they have their regular dinner catch-up with coach Mal Meninga before the Origin series begins.
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/canterbury-bulldogs/canterbury-bulldogs-utility-moses-mbye-eyeing-off-josh-reynolds-no6-jersey-20150423-1mrmpf.html

I personally cannot see where we will fit him into our line up. I am a critic of Reynolds but he is clearly our best 5/8 at the club. So the question is if Mbye keeps developing well where do we play him? Utility spot on the bench? If so would he be willing to resign with that as his role for the team?

What is in Mbye's favor is that Reynolds spends bulk time on the sidelines due to suspensions and Hodko's knees are questionable. Like last year, there is plenty of opportunity for him.

I would hate to see a similar situation like Thurston.

ek999

First Grade
To me it is a choice between Mbye and Hokko not Reynolds for a couple of reasons.

1. Hokko and Mbye are both left-side players and Reynolds is a right-side player.
2. Reynolds has the longest to go on his contract. If we re-sign Hokko, Mbye will be all but forced out if he wants a starting spot, leaving us to stick with Hokko and Reynolds. If we let Hokko go, I think we will sign Mbye long-term

Bulldog Force

Referee
To me it is a choice between Mbye and Hokko not Reynolds for a couple of reasons.

1. Hokko and Mbye are both left-side players and Reynolds is a right-side player.
2. Reynolds has the longest to go on his contract. If we re-sign Hokko, Mbye will be all but forced out if he wants a starting spot, leaving us to stick with Hokko and Reynolds. If we let Hokko go, I think we will sign Mbye long-term

Hokko reportedly turned down an extra $150,000 from Manly to stay under Des Hasler. Reportedly... nothing official. Now with the whole DCE saga, who knows what's going on.

MarkC

Juniors

Yes, I agree and Hodko and MBye are similar players.
However, if Hodko somehow goes good MBye has a lot of utility value and could play in other roles.

We would need to find him a starting role for 2016, otherwise he may go to another club.

I do agree there is a lot of room for improvement in our halves, longer term some young bloke may force his way into the side.

One issue is Reynolds is a 5/8 but plays on the right side, that is a bit against normal conventions, normally a half plays on the right side. It just makes it a bit harder to find a suitable partner for Reynolds.