What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most Improve Player

Most Improve Player

• Francis Meli

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brent Webb

• Logan Swann

• Henry Fa'afili

• Iafeta Palea'aesina

• Awen Guttenbeil

• Total voters

Rudolph

Juniors
Following the Player of the year poll, who do u think is the most improved player?

If I've missed any just tell me.

JoeD

First Grade
All this talk about awards and so on makes me wonder who will win the 'fan's choice' award or whatever it is called. The one that Stacey normally wins by a country mile. It will be intersting to see if his poor form this year and lack of recent game time will effect his popularity. Also we will might see who is the next favourite warrior.

BTW I also voted for Sione in the above poll.

bayrep

Juniors
I am hoping that it isnt Stacey, he hasnt been in great form and others deserve to be recognised for the effort they have put in this year. But I wonder how many people that dont follow the Warriors that closely will pick Stace because thats who they associate with the Warriors.

AliN

Live Update Team
Stace I'm sure would be the first to admit he hasn't had a good year.

I voted for Sione, the man can slot in anyway and has helped us so much this year both on attack or defence..

LeagueNut

First Grade
I've voted for Webby - the amount of pressure he was under this year could have crushed the poor bugger but he's definetly come right now!

Another option for the poll should be Vinnie Anderson as well.

ExJnrKiwi

Juniors
I get the impression that many here are assessing players on their ability rather than how much they've improved.

I'll be buggered if Faumuina has improved as much as Webb.

Webb couldn't take a trick at the beginning of the season - dropped balls, missed tackles and a poor returner of the ball.

Faumuina was impressive from the start and if anything has gone off the boil a bit of late. That's probably because he's being shifted from pillar to post to plug injury gaps. He's doing a good job but he doesn't have the impact and effect Webb does throughout a game especially when he's part of the interchange bench.

Master Vitaly

Juniors
I voted for Brent Webb, he's finally starting to live up to the wraps he recieved when he first joined the club. I remember earlier in the season when he'd make a break (like the one where he scored a try against Cronulla) I thought it was a fluke but now he looks dangerous every time he gets touches the ball. Very happy with his progress! 8)

warriors_no 1

Juniors
my most improved goes to feka/sione
but i voted feka.
reason being that he's in proving more and more every time he gets on the field.with his running and tackling.

Rudolph

Juniors
I still think Webb is a poor returner of the ball. Sometimes i dont think he know what he doing, he can be like a lost puppy.

Sione has improved alot this year makes alot less mistakes, last year i didn't even wnat him in the team now i think we need him.

Anonymous

Juniors
I get the impression that many here are assessing players on their ability rather than how much they've improved.

Webb couldn't take a trick at the beginning of the season - dropped balls, missed tackles and a poor returner of the ball.

Faumuina was impressive from the start and if anything has gone off the boil a bit of late. That's probably because he's being shifted from pillar to post to plug injury gaps. He's doing a good job but he doesn't have the impact and effect Webb does throughout a game especially when he's part of the interchange bench.

It's a question of definition. I would have defined "Most improved" as being a comparison between a players 2002 season (or career as a whole) to their 2003 season.

In that case, Sione would have to get it ahead of Webb (who was our rookie of the year last year, while Sione hardly got a game.)

Auckland4ever

Juniors
Sione was a pretty good player at Canberra. He chose to come back to NZ rather than the Raiders cutting him, & I think its more a case of him having the gametime, freedom & confidence to showcase his talents rather than becoming an improved player.

I reckon it comes down to two players:
I think Feka has developed his game a lot this season, he seems to be maturing & is pacing himself better.
Webb has taken a bit of time, but he's grown into his role, & though theres still lots of room for improvement, I feel a lot more confident with him at the back than I used to.

bayrep

Juniors
Thierry Henry said:

It's a question of definition. I would have defined "Most improved" as being a comparison between a players 2002 season (or career as a whole) to their 2003 season.

In that case, Sione would have to get it ahead of Webb (who was our rookie of the year last year, while Sione hardly got a game.)

I was voting on the same basis as TH. Webb always had the ability and showed glimpses of it over 2002 and the early part of 2003. Webb has become more consistent over the last month, but I wouldn’t say most improved.

Were as Sione as made a major impact this season good hit ups which breaks defences, great defence and all round good ball skills, compared to 2002, you would have to say he is the most improved.

Rudolph

Juniors
I did mean Most improved player of the year for this poll, but i thought people would know what i meant.

But Webb has improved alot in the position that he's in which is why i think people have voted for him, not really by how much he has improved as a player in his overall game.

Anonymous

Juniors
The more I think about it the more I like my own definition :p

Using ExJnrKiwi's definition, you could have a situation where, say, Stacey Jones starts the season poorly, improves towards the end, and gets voted "most improved player" :? So basically you have to play crap to get the award which is crazy. I think by getting the rookie of the year award last year Webb all but excluded himself.

Sione was a pretty good player at Canberra. He chose to come back to NZ rather than the Raiders cutting him, & I think its more a case of him having the gametime, freedom & confidence to showcase his talents rather than becoming an improved player.

For starters, he only ever played something like 9 games at Canberra.

I agree apart from that, but I don't see how that counts against him. You could say the same thing about any improved player. 99% of NRL players have a heap of talent. Any "improved" player is really just someone realising their talent in the right environment.