What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most Prized Dragons Items ?

1st & 10

Juniors
Hi gang

Hope all is well

With our common love of the red V, I'm sure some of you have some great memorabilia and have a wish list

My most prized . A used 1962 blood and bandaged jersey worn against the poms and signed by the team

My wish. Does anyone remember a framed piece called the first contract. It was about Frank Burge saints contract (not signed) and was hanging adjacent to the bistro entrance within the Taj. Since gone .

I have heaps of memorabilia contacts and this one is very rare

Old Timer

Coach
I have memories only
Memories are often the very best things to have providing you bring them to mind often enough.
I remember one of the first matches my dad took me to watch Saints V Wests at Pratten Park.
I remember my mum making Billy Smith a cup of tea and giving him a scone for morning tea at our family home in the 1965.
I remember Kevin Ryan coming to watch our school team play a match.
I remember going to KJO for the footy clinics in the school holidays and having Chang, Poppa, Billy, Chook show us a few things and sit us down and they would be there with 1 knee on the ground talking to us and answering all our questions.
I remember when we could run onto the ground and touch our heroes and they would talk to you no matter how hard the game had been or how tired, battered and bruised they were.
With no disrespect to anyone the memory of these things actually means more to me than all the photos, signatures, jerseys and memorabilia I ever had.

BrissyRedV

Bench
With no disrespect to anyone the memory of these things actually means more to me than all the photos, signatures, jerseys and memorabilia I ever had.
No disrespect taken, but I find the memorabilia that I have helps take me back to my memories. Every time I see either one of my old jerseys, the 2010 signed jersey I have or even just an old stubby cooler, it evokes some form of an emotional response which is the whole reason we collect these things.

1st & 10

Juniors
As soon as the old red V retro jerseys became available, I got one and gathered autographs of greats on it. Slowly , over the years I got every living great.

Just missing Rod Reddy

dragonssamy61

First Grade
I have great memories of baths babes 1977 and winning again in 1979.
Also years later harry bath had the local newsagency at south hurstville.
Loved just going down and talking footy with him and my dad.
The best bit of memorabilia I have.
Is a signed copy of the man in the bowler hat with cook raper signing it.
But my best memories is going to the game with my dad.
We continued to do that untill dad passed away last year.

Last edited:

dragondad

First Grade
As soon as the old red V retro jerseys became available, I got one and gathered autographs of greats on it. Slowly , over the years I got every living great.

Just missing Rod Reddy
Next time Liam Reddy comes over to play for Perth Glory in the A-League, see if he can help.

Gareth67

First Grade
As I was leaving Kogarah Jubilee Oval back in the sixties , I came across an empty can of Brycream . It was close to the back of the Saints change-rooms , so I am only guessing , but I am pretty sure that it belonged to Stan Gorton , the Saints winger .

denis preston

First Grade
Breathing fire poster still stands up ( can't believe it was nearly 7 years ago ! )

Also have a Rugby League news program from 1963..Wasn't so much who played firsts but who played lower grades. Bruce Pollard, Johnny Greaves ,George Taylsforth, Robin Gourlay , Peter Armstrong , Dinny O'brien , Brian James, and for the Rabbits Mick Falla, Bob McCarthy,Alan Heiler,. Adds for Millers beer , Stak's Holden ( Sales staff Rex Mossop, Trevor Allan, Ian Walsh & Ken Thornett ) Hollands of Rockdale ,TAA , Rural bank. Also team lists for the inter - district Competition ; Bankstown, Kingsford , Wentworthville, Cronulla-Caringbah, University and Arncliffe , Liverpool, Penrith, Ryde Eastwood & Guildford.

ALSGI

Bench
Breathing fire poster still stands up ( can't believe it was nearly 7 years ago ! )

Also have a Rugby League news program from 1963..Wasn't so much who played firsts but who played lower grades. Bruce Pollard, Johnny Greaves ,George Taylsforth, Robin Gourlay , Peter Armstrong , Dinny O'brien , Brian James, and for the Rabbits Mick Falla, Bob McCarthy,Alan Heiler,. Adds for Millers beer , Stak's Holden ( Sales staff Rex Mossop, Trevor Allan, Ian Walsh & Ken Thornett ) Hollands of Rockdale ,TAA , Rural bank. Also team lists for the inter - district Competition ; Bankstown, Kingsford , Wentworthville, Cronulla-Caringbah, University and Arncliffe , Liverpool, Penrith, Ryde Eastwood & Guildford.
Nice

Old Timer

Coach

Interested to know who coached the 2'nds & 3rd's for us?
The tradition was always a Capt / Coach for 1st grade but can't remember what happened in the lower grades.
It would also be interesting to see how many other 1st grade sides had Capt / Coaches?

northernsaint

Juniors
My saints treasures are the Breathing Fire poster, my No. plate,(see avatar) & the DRA 12 (still at the motor registry) No plate that is still to go on a vehicle.Open to serious offers as it can be on sold with a transfer of a $150 & no annual fees. 12 dgn.png 12 dgn.png 12 dgn.png

Attachments

• lefarevE.jpg
    lefarevE.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 14
I was fortunate enough to be present when Changa was made an immortal.

Had three retro jerseys, one for each of the kids. Got each one signed by Changa, Reg Gasnier "Puff", Chook Raper, "Abdul" Ian Walsh.

Found Billy Smith at the Taj some time later and got him to sign each of the Jerseys.

As for favourite memories, too many to list. Highlights involve Langlands and Smith telepathic powers, and Baths Babes.

The run in 77 and 79 was very special. Special mention to the 77-79 pack of forwards Stone/Starkey/Jansen/ReddyGrant/Edge/Young/Wynn

Teddy Goodwin and Stevie Morris simply amazing.

HenryTatana

Juniors
Ah the memories. I have experienced a number of mentions in the posts, from training clinics at Jubilee with Changa and Billy Smith, chewing the fat with Roy Ferguson whilst he ran the Carlton Newsagency and with Harry Bath and his newsagency on the Gold Coast. Also Billy Smith, Henry Tatana and Graeme Quinn delivering chickens (they all worked for Ian Walsh's chicken company) to a relatives takeaway shop.
I suppose my most recent and unusual bits of memorabilia are the 2010 stamps Australia Post released celbrating our premiership victory. I think I bought about 4 lots of them. Got the majority of the players to sign them. The other unusual piece was a 2010 grand final ball which i got at the grand final breakfast. Got the majority of the team to sign this also.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
As I was leaving Kogarah Jubilee Oval back in the sixties , I came across an empty can of Brycream . It was close to the back of the Saints change-rooms , so I am only guessing , but I am pretty sure that it belonged to Stan Gorton , the Saints winger .

Yes stanley gorton
Only player who could play the whole game and never get a hair out of place .
Also never get his shorts dirty

Gareth67

First Grade
Yes stanley gorton
Only player who could play the whole game and never get a hair out of place .
Also never get his shorts dirty

LOL ! Sammy , that is exactly the way that I remember him . We were sitting next to the fence that day and I always recall some ' hick ' in a Parramatta jersey , calling out to him - " don't get your pants dirty Stanley " . I felt so sorry for him , but it didn't seem to worry him too much , as he did score a try that day .

But I also recall how pale he was , almost white , which made that dark oily hair ( with the part , dead centre of his head ) of his , stand out even more . I believe that he was English ( not that it was his fault ) , still done a great job for the Saints in those years .