What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mr Tedesco

Radical Rat

Juniors
Yep my first thought on his comments where that he genuinely wanted to stay, and it wasn’t so much the deadline, but the way the deadline was publicly used to back him and woods against a wall that broke the camels back. He even cited his past raiders backflip as an example of needing more time to feel comfortable about staying on. What he wanted to see was there was going to be some signs of them being able to compete under the new coach, and instead was given an ultimatum to decide without having that opportunity. Looks like mini is now public enemy amongst tigpies fans

I can assure you no one here has given a shit about Mini since his last game for the Blues.

Clifferd

Coach
"It is what it is, lads" said Sergeant Woodsy as he instructed his troops to charge into the valley of death. "You fellas go first - I'll be in the fourth wave, when things have settled down a bit."

Haha this made me chuckle a bit

WT Unity

Juniors
Just Ditto to all the comments here regarding Tedesco's saying that leaving was due to the club putting a deadline on him re-signing.

But I suppose, when as a man, you decide to not to take the responsibility of talking for yourself and follow the script of a bu!!sh!t artist spiv of a manager....Then not only have you lost your voice - You've lost any respect you might have had and might have been able to retain!

macnaz

Staff member
He may have more chance of finals football but i honestly cant see it improving his game . HE was the go to man here and seen a hell of a lot football but i just wonder if he will get the same amount of freedom at the rorters with their equal amount of PURCHASED talent across the park

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just read that Tedesco has publicly stated that he was forced into the decision by the deadline imposed by Cleary. Initially I thought f**k off merkin you had since last year to decide but now I'm having second thoughts:
1. He didn't know who the coach was when original offer was made so he really hasn't started deciding until the last month
2. There are shit loads of players in NRL who haven't signed for next year. I understand Cleary is playing hard ball but f**k....it's Teddy
3. His manager probably had a million things going so asking for more time is not really a spit in the face
If time was all that was needed by Teddy, he could've at least asked for an extension. But he had two weeks. We had signed a coach for three years so there was no issue with coaching roster stability.

He was pretty keen to leave us the last time his contract was up.

In the end, I don't think he chases money, or plays for his mates. He just wants to win games. His previous backflip and comments here indicate that he does what his manager suggests he should do more than anything.

If I were the Rooster, I'd be telling him to change managers before his next contract. Someone who will listen to what he wants instead of getting the biggest deal so that the manager gets a bigger payday.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Also, I've never hated the Roosters, for personal reasons. So of all the clubs he's gone to, I'm happy it's them.

But I am annoyed with this trend of taking pissy half arsed pot shots at the club, while still playing for them.

It's just dumb beyond belief.

Turd just doesn't get it...it's not about any one player or players that will dictate how the club is run now under Ivans reign,he showed the same leadership at the Riff when he let go of Jennings,Lewis to name a few for the long time benefit of that club,the same will happen here at the WT once the doubters are released.

Tiger05

First Grade
Can we change the title of this thread to something like merkin face or f**khead.

super_coach

First Grade
These guys will never learn. Even if you have a real axe to grind for what every reason, you get ten times more respect and you boost your brand name if you just say something nice or say nothing. You never know when you might want to come back so don't burn your bridges

innsaneink

Referee
Dunno how he can work with Cleary after this.
Surprised me I thought he had more integrity than a low life sell-out dog

f**k knows who is advising these players. Best course of action is always just keep your mouth shut and let bygones be bygones. For some reason they think throwing the club under the bus for reasons as to why they're leaving is some sort of brand preservation exercise. Even going back to Farah, he could have said nothing when the writing was on the wall, left and came out smelling like roses and virtually every WT would have been in his corner. Instead he had to get his manager to sling shit at the club and had to get the point across that he was hard done by.

Woods and Tedesco have taken the tactic to a new level except they have completely made a dogs breakfast of it and now they are considered poison. Woods has managed to f**k it up so badly most of the wider NRL fanbase can't stand him.

Nothing we didn't already know but an interesting read none the less.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...|heading|homepage|homepage&itmt=1494138588431

JAMES Tedesco is officially a Rooster, leaving Wests Tigers in a massive move for the NRL player market.
A number of players are directly impacted by the superstar fullback’s move, while there will also be major implications for the two clubs.

We tackle the biggest issues of the switch in Five Burning Questions.

WHICH ROOSTERS DIRECTLY LOSE OUT IN THE TEDESCO DEAL?

Current fullback Michael Gordon is the obvious one. The 33-year-old, who is off-contract, is clearly on his way out the door despite playing well this season.

Gordon turns 34 in October and despite good form, may be just about done in the NRL. He has previously said he wouldn’t decide on his future until the end of the season.

The other two Roosters directly impacted are rising superstar Latrell Mitchell and Test winger Blake Ferguson. Tedesco’s four-year signing ends any aspirations either player may have held to play fullback for the Tricolours — permanently for the 27-year-old Ferguson, long-term for Mitchell, 19.

While Ferguson (off-contract) will likely be content to play out his career in the outside backs, Mitchell’s preferred position is No.1. He was also backed as the club’s long-term fullback by Roosters icon Anthony Minichiello — the man partly credited with luring Tedesco to the club.

“Latrell is the future fullback of the club, there is no doubt,” Minichiello said after 2016.

Playing fullback is not just a matter of ambition — it’s also about cold, hard cash.

Should Mitchell be locked out of fullback, as he will be with Tedesco in the side, the teenage ace will also be barred from a shot at the top-end money afforded to key-position players. Centre, where he was playing before being dropped to reserve grade, is currently one of the least-valued NRL positions in terms of salary.

Mitchell, rated one of the game’s most exciting talents but clearly still raw, will be happy to bide his time for the short-term and is under contract with the Roosters until 2019. But if his star qualities are cemented during that time, he’s not happy in the centres and wants his shot at a marquee contract, something will have to give.

Ferguson also faces an uncertain future. He is yet to re-sign with the club for next season and reports emerged earlier in the year suggesting that his off-field conduct had lapsed somewhat, having damaged the early part of his career.

WHAT DOES THE DEAL MEAN FOR THE ROOSTERS OVERALL?

First and foremost, the Sydney powerhouse just added a critical piece to their blueprint for another premiership.

The Roosters spine for next season will read Tedesco, Luke Keary, Mitchell Pearce and Jake Friend — which, with enough support, is certainly good enough to win a title.

Tedesco is a red-hot favourite to be named NSW Origin fullback this season, having debuted in game three last year. At age 24, he is a long-term rep player and the Roosters should be getting him just as he enters his prime.

But no big-name player can be landed without upheaval elsewhere on the roster.

Incumbent No.1 Gordon looks set to go, as mentioned above, while boom prop Kane Evans has already signed with the Parramatta Eels for three years from next season.

New Zealand Test back Shaun Kenny-Dowall (29) has already been linked with a move to the Newcastle Knights, having been with the Roosters for 200-plus games since 2007. His fellow outside back, Blues Origin winger Daniel Tupou, also remains off-contract.

Queensland Origin forward Aidan Guerra is also off-contract and has hardly been demanding a new deal with his form, while Ferguson is the other big-name without a 2018 deal.

Also on the Roosters’ off-contract list are Paul Carter, Mitch Cornish, Brenden Santi, Chris Smith, Zane Tetevano and Johnny Tuivasa-Sheck.

WHY DID TEDESCO DECIDE ON THE CHOOKS?

For once, in Sydney’s plush eastern suburbs, this move wasn’t about the folding stuff.

If it was, Tedesco would be staying at the Tigers, who tabled the biggest deal of the three put to the Camden junior — the Roosters also winning a battle with Canterbury.

Tedesco went on the record a month ago declaring the “stability at other clubs is tempting” after years of being caught up in the Tigers’ perpetual soap opera.

There’s no Sydney outfit on more solid ground than the Chook and the Dogs, who are premiership contenders more often than not and pack heavy-hitters from the front office through to the coaching staff and playing ranks.

Here’s where the Roosters had the edge over Canterbury, with Tedesco still said to have been suitably impressed by Des Hasler’s pitch during meetings with the eccentric mentor.

Despite public denials, club legend and close mate Minichiello was in Tedesco’s ear as he was making the biggest call of his career.

Under Trent Robinson and with Minichiello’s own personal tutelage, Tedesco could rise to become the best fullback in the game. This was the Chooks’ key selling point.

Minichiello also acted as a key conduit between all-powerful Roosters chairman Nick Politis and Tedesco’s manager Isaac Moses.

Politis had initially refused to deal with Moses after a falling-out between the pair last season.

That the Roosters could get a deal done despite the inevitable politics of rugby league, while the Tigers were busy lining up their fourth coach in Tedesco’s five years of first grade, says it all.

WHAT DOES THE DEAL MEAN FOR WESTS TIGERS?

For starters, it will be interesting to see what kind of reception Tigers fans give Tedesco in his first game as an official defector. Given captain Aaron Woods was booed for his Bulldogs move, Tedesco — who, unlike his skipper, took a crack at the Tigers during the contract saga — can likely expect more of the same.

Beyond that, it’s head down and plough forward for the embattled joint venture, which has already made some positive moves for the future.

Luke Brooks and former NSW Origin five-eighth Josh Reynolds are already signed as the halves pairing for next season. Fox Sports’ Nathan Ryan revealed an intriguing mid-season play on Wednesday, which centred on a deal for boom Warriors prospect Tui Lolohea.

That deal would be a two-and-a-half year contract, in which Lolohea (22) would join the Tigers to play at No.6 this season — with Mitchell Moses sent early to the Parramatta Eels — before inheriting Tedesco’s No.1 jersey next year.

If that is the case, the Tigers would be unlikely to thrown big money at Dragons Test star Josh Dugan, who had been touted as a potential fullback option.

With the Tigers confident that Jacob Liddle (20) can cement himself as their long-term hooker, next year’s spine reads Lolohea, Reynolds, Brooks and Liddle. It’s not quite the same as Tedesco, Moses, Brooks and Liddle, a quartet that Tigers fans had waited years to see fire them towards premiership contention, but it may at least prove competitive.

The Tigers have already added some starch in the pack, signing Warriors and New Zealand Test prop Ben Matulino to replace Woods. Dragons enforcer Russell Packer, one of Matulino’s close friends, will reportedly be pursued as another major signing.

Wests Tigers will certainly have a far different side next season but at least Cleary will get the chance to fashion something from a clean slate — with his first task to fix one of the NRL’s worst defences.

Latest posts