What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mullen on the Juice

Knight76

Juniors
Geebus we're still paying him?

B sample is back, what more do we need to fire him already?

Wish we had a fit Mullen at 7.

I don't, he was a great clubman, but it's time we moved on from Mullen. He isn't our future and never really produced on field anyway. Especially for the money he was on.

Cruel to say, but it's true.

mozza91

Coach
Geebus we're still paying him?

B sample is back, what more do we need to fire him already?

I don't, he was a great clubman, but it's time we moved on from Mullen. He isn't our future and never really produced on field anyway. Especially for the money he was on.

It's in no way true. He was our best player for about 7 years and even on one leg he'd still be our best player.
He was inconsistent early in his career but still had plenty of great games and moments. He finally found that consistency around 2012. We got a couple of great years out of him and then injury ruined him.
The good outweighed the bad by a fair margin for mine.

Johns Magic

Referee

I should have said, I would love him at 7 over Hodkinson.

perverse

Referee
There's no doubt Mullen would be the best half at the club by a country mile if he was still available to us. It would be nice to have him. Anything to get Plodkinson out of the team, to be honest. Dead set impostor.

steven p white

Juniors
In what parallel universe was Mullen our best player for 7 years, the same one that Brian Smith was our greatest ever coach? or the one where Nathan Tinkler set us up as the most prosperous club in the comp? they're all part of a bad acid trip if you ask me!

slotmachine

First Grade
The games we looked semi-compentent in last year, Raiders and Tigers, mullo had stormers.

I still have no idea what Brown sees in hodko.

Caped Crusader

Juniors
7 years is a bit of hyperbole I'd expect

When at his best he was a genuine match winner

Haven't had anyone else like that since Joey

Spot On

Coach
The games we looked semi-compentent in last year, Raiders and Tigers, mullo had stormers.

I still have no idea what Brown sees in hodko.

750K a year. Probably expect to have the odd 'stormer' each season.

And yep, Hodko surely goes when the contract is up.

steven p white

Juniors
The only problem with that is he was only at his best for possibly 2 or 3 games per season, when fit. The rest of the time just when you needed him to stand up he would disappoint with poor options, playing side to side instead of taking on the line & not backing up his own passes or kicks. I will give him credit for some strong defence over the years maybe he should have moved to hooker when Bedsy first left for pommyland maybe that would have worked out for him!

Spot On

Coach
I don't disagree SPW.

Really are two schools of thought on Mullo.

Great defensive player but he rarely had what was needed to close out games.

mozza91

Coach
7 years is a bit of hyperbole I'd expect

When at his best he was a genuine match winner

Haven't had anyone else like that since Joey
09-16.
Gidley had a great run in 07-08 but injuries began taking a toll, it started during the initial All Stars game. From then on I believe Mullen was our best and most influential player and remained so until Round 26 last year. Not hyperbole at all.
Not that being our best player over the last few years is much to write home about.

Knight76

Juniors
Halves generally aren't celebrated because they are good in defence.

Nobody wins a Dally M because they can defend real good!

Mullen's kicking game is shocking, and for mine never really had that game winning class. Kind of just remained in the 6 jersey so long out of loyalty to him, and being at the club so long got his upgrades and ended up being paid well over his worth.

Even if he was our best player for a period, that doesn't mean he is that good. We have been low in the pecking order for a long while now.

And if I'm being honest, Mullen only hung around so long as he was one of the old boys, being looked after by old boys.

Last edited:

Knight76

Juniors
Question -

Where would you rank Mullen in overall 5/8's that have worn the Knights Jersey?

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Halves generally aren't celebrated because they are good in defence.

Nobody wins a Dally M because they can defend real good!

Mullen's kicking game is shocking, and for mine never really had that game winning class. Kind of just remained in the 6 jersey so long out of loyalty to him, and being at the club so long got his upgrades and ended up being paid well over his worth.

Even if he was our best player for a period, that doesn't mean he is that good. We have been low in the pecking order for a long while now.

And if I'm being honest, Mullen only hung around so long as he was one of the old boys, being looked after by old boys.

Mullens long kicking game was fantastic. It was his kicks when we got inside the oppositions 40 meter zone where it was often poor.

Latest posts