What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My 2016 NSW Origin Team

Johns Magic

Referee
Buggered if I know. This side gets picked about 6 months from now. I'll give it some thought then. If Tedesco was so flash you'd think he'd be in England.

Right. Good post.

If Tedesco hadn't missed the back third of the season injured, then got concussed in the PM's XIII game before the squad was picked, he would no doubt be there over

Clifferd

Coach
Buggered if I know. This side gets picked about 6 months from now. I'll give it some thought then. If Tedesco was so flash you'd think he'd be in England.

I think he wasn't picked moreso on the reason above, rather than ability

He needed rest

TiggaPlease

I wonder how many of your 4700 odd posts are different wordings of "Moylan = good, Tedesco = bad"? Seems like 98.5% of them.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Pearce would be my hooker. Peats is just so meh

hooker is a problem, if peats didnt have a famous dad no one would have heard of him. i expect they'll pick farah again next year and probably do something stupid like have J Reynolds on the bench to give him a breather

Why are we arguing over Moylan and Tedesco? I think it's already established that we can fit both in

1. James Tedesco
6. Matt Moylan

I would stick with this combo.

For hooker I would go with Peter Wallace, he's not a long term option since he's getting old but atm he's playing pretty good.

I'm actually more interested in what happens with the centres and wings, like do we keep Fergo, Jennings and Dugan?

Fergo was crap for most of the series but he was out of position and when he did get pushed further in he set up the match winner when he broke through Inglis.

Jennings was shit, but he scored the match winner which wasn't really an easy try and who could forget how good he was the year before.

Dugan was also out of position but at fullback he's really effective. Remember game 1 2015? He was also solid for that whole series at fullback.

isaiah

Bench
hooker is a problem, if peats didnt have a famous dad no one would have heard of him. i expect they'll pick farah again next year and probably do something stupid like have J Reynolds on the bench to give him a breather
geordi played 74 games = famous?

MF88

Juniors
7. Cleary

Probably a year early for Cleary but whatever.
And therein lies a huge difference between QLD and NSW. It's ludicrous to suggest blooding the 19-year-old Cleary. Pearce and Mullen are perfect examples of throwing extremely young halves to the wolves and stunting their development.

MF88

Juniors
well we had a ball playing fullback for 2 games this year and lost them both, then we got a running 1 in and won
:rolleyes: That's ridiculous logic unless you're going to argue that a ball-running fullback was integral to their victory, or that the absence of a ball-playing fullback was. Don't think that case has leg to stand on, frankly. And even if it did it still wouldn't take into account externalities like Game 3 being a dead rubber and so on.

Tedesco didn't produce anything that makes me think he was the better selection over Moylan. In fact for a lot of it, his play reminded me of Dugan, who is notoriously brilliant at stultifying back line movements.

MF88

Juniors
Why are we arguing over Moylan and Tedesco? I think it's already established that we can fit both in

1. James Tedesco
6. Matt Moylan

I would stick with this combo.

For hooker I would go with Peter Wallace, he's not a long term option since he's getting old but atm he's playing pretty good.
All you need is Hayne on the wing and you've got 3 world class players, none of whom are the strongest option in the positions you've selected them.

Vic Mackey

Referee
:rolleyes: That's ridiculous logic unless you're going to argue that a ball-running fullback was integral to their victory, or that the absence of a ball-playing fullback was. Don't think that case has leg to stand on, frankly. And even if it did it still wouldn't take into account externalities like Game 3 being a dead rubber and so on.

Tedesco didn't produce anything that makes me think he was the better selection over Moylan. In fact for a lot of it, his play reminded me of Dugan, who is notoriously brilliant at stultifying back line movements.

I was using froggys logic against him. He says moylan is better cause he was picked in the oz squad and that hayne shouldn't be in the side cause he got a wooden spoon once or some shit.

I don't think teddy was all that great but in 80 mins of origin v moylans 240 he had more run meters and more line breaks. He supported line breaks and caught/contested bombs. Moylan was standing around behind the Ruck when fifita was looking for someone to offload too. He was running away from bombs and letting them bounce which resulted in line drop outs. He was horribly out of position for QLDs try from a grubber in game 2.

Moylan is a fantastic player but he isn't what you want in an origin fullback. You want someone to bring the ball back hard, not run 10m sideways to give it off to a winger.

MF88

Juniors
I was using froggys logic against him. He says moylan is better cause he was picked in the oz squad and that hayne shouldn't be in the side cause he got a wooden spoon once or some shit.
Fair enough. I guess I read that comment without paying attention to the context.

I don't think teddy was all that great but in 80 mins of origin v moylans 240 he had more run meters and more line breaks. He supported line breaks and caught/contested bombs. Moylan was standing around behind the Ruck when fifita was looking for someone to offload too. He was running away from bombs and letting them bounce which resulted in line drop outs. He was horribly out of position for QLDs try from a grubber in game 2.

Moylan is a fantastic player but he isn't what you want in an origin fullback. You want someone to bring the ball back hard, not run 10m sideways to give it off to a winger.
This goes back to the old argument about traditional fullback vs modern fullback. Even if all you say were true I'd still pick Moylan for this simple reason; NSW do not have the creativity in the spine to accomodate a running/traditional fullback. They tried it with Minichiello, Dugan and Stewart for years all to no real avail. Only when a playmaker in the form of Jarryd Hayne was installed did they genuinely pose defensive questions on both sides of the field. And it's one of the primary reasons why the Blues finally won a series. If you've got Andrew Johns at halfback yeah you can pick a bloke like Dugan or Tedesco whose first instinct is to run. You don't have that luxury when you've got rubbish players like Reynolds and Pearce.

Tedesco also had a much easier initiation into Origin as well mind you. A dead rubber at home in which his team were playing on the front foot all night.

Last edited:

MF88

Juniors
Teddy's best position ISNT fullback?
You've misunderstood. I didn't say they're not playing in their best position. I said they're not the strongest option in said positions. Tedesco isn't the best option at fullback imo. Nor is Moylan the best option at five-eighth. And Hayne certainly isn't on the wing.

Vic Mackey

Referee
This goes back to the old argument about traditional fullback vs modern fullback. Even if all you say were true I'd still pick Moylan for this simple reason; NSW do not have the creativity in the spine to accomodate a running/traditional fullback. They tried it with Minichiello, Dugan and Stewart for years all to no real avail. Only when a playmaker in the form of Jarryd Hayne was installed did they genuinely pose defensive questions on both sides of the field. And it's one of the primary reasons why the Blues finally won a series. If you've got Andrew Johns at halfback yeah you can pick a bloke like Dugan or Tedesco whose first instinct is to run. You don't have that luxury when you've got rubbish players like Reynolds and Pearce.

Tedesco also had a much easier initiation into Origin as well mind you. A dead rubber at home in which his team were playing on the front foot all night.

I get what you're saying. I don't believe for a second that Tedesco should have a lock on the 1 next year. I know he seemed to get rave reviews but I was a tad disaappinted in his game (mind you I have pretty high expectations for him). To me he is the best fullback in the state and given the extra attention he received from QLD they thought so too.

As for your last paragraph, I agree he had an easier initiation into origin then moylan. However you can just as easily say that moylan had the chance to prove his worth when it really mattered and failed. For all his play making ability he didn't have a hand in a single try from fullback and IMO cost us 2 through poor positioning. All we can do is judge them on the chances they had.

MF88

Juniors
Fair enough. If they pick Tedesco at fullback I'm predicting they'll struggle for points and creativity again. Moylan may not have produced many opportunities but he's definitely more likely to imo based on their respective skill sets.

If they had havles who could manufacture points as frequently as Cronk/Thurston then I'd be in favour of it but with the current options, it's just too predictable to have a player like Tedesco accompanying them.

You've misunderstood. I didn't say they're not playing in their best position. I said they're not the strongest option in said positions. Tedesco isn't the best option at fullback imo. Nor is Moylan the best option at five-eighth. And Hayne certainly isn't on the wing.

Tedesco isn't the best option at fullback but he's definitely a better option there than Moylan.

Hayne is versatile and can easily play well at centre.

I rate a Moylan and Maloney combo as the best 6 and 7 we have.

Latest posts