What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My team for round 1

dragon-83

Juniors
1. Dufty
2. Macdonald
3. Aitkiin
4. Dugan
5. Milne
6. Widdop
7. Field
8. Vaughan
9. McInnes
10. Ah Mau
11. Frizell
12. Thompson
13. De Belin

14. Masoe
15. Packer
16. Luciano
17. Sele

As much as i love Nightingale I couldn't find a spot for him and Field is in my team but I know they won't pick him.

Last edited:

Morotti

Juniors
It defies logic you cant find a spot for nighty. He is first picked on the wing. Super reliable in every aspect of the game.

Biggest question is how dufty goes in pre season games. That will determine if he starts at fullback.

Is masoe full fit now? If not host might come in for him.

And perhaps if they dont put dufty at fullback then they play him from the bench as a super sub. Unlikely but possible.

At the moment we dont know much kore than what we did at the start of the pre season. So let us wait until we have a few trial games under our belt and go from there.

Simon

Juniors
I'd go -

1. Dugan
2. Macdonald
3. Aitken
4. Milne
5. Nightingale
6. Widdop
7. Best performer in trials (Nona, McCrone)
8. Vaughan
9. McInnes
10. Packer
11. Thompson
12. Frizzel
13. Sims

14. De Bellin
15. Leilua
16. Host
17. Havili / Robson

18. Masoe (assuming even if fit he may need some games in the Cutters)
19. Ah Mau (couldn't fit him in a full strength team but I'd expect to play a lot of games)
20. Dufty (to be playing by the end of the season)
21. Field (to play a few games, prepare for 2018)
22. Mann (solid back up - don't consider him a half cause I haven't seen him play there - may change if he gets some game time there in trials)

TomRedVRiver

Bench
May as well start throwing our teams out there now that recruitment looks to be finished.
I'm going with this team..

1. Dufty
2. Macdonald
3. Dugan
4. Aitken
5. Nightingale/Milne
6. Field
7. Widdop
8. Vaughan
9. Mcinnes
10. Packer
11. Leilua
12. Thompson
13. Frizell

14. Sims
15. Masoe
16. Host
17. Havili/Robson/De Belin

BrissyRedV

Bench
1. Dufty
2. Mann
3. Milne
4. Dugan
5. Flo
6. Widdop
7. McCrone
8. Packer
9. McInnes
10. LAH
11. Frizzell
12. Thompson
13. JDB
14. Havili
15. Sims
16. Vaughan
17. Leilua/Host

Frank Facer

First Grade
1 Dufty
2 Nightingale
3 Milne
4 Dugan
5 McDonald
6 Widdop
7 Mann
8 Vaughan
9 McInnes
10 Packer
11 Luciano
12 Host
13 Frizzell

14 Ah Mau
15 Simms
16 DeBelin
17 Aikten/Thompson

I doubt that Masoe will be fit for round 1.

I think lock is Frizzells best position, he could rival Tamalolo as the bet lock in the game. I also think that lock is Simms and DeBelin's best position. Either Aikten or Thompson would come on as an edge back rower, they could also cover centre if there was an injury to an outside back.

A lot would be riding on Dufty and Mann to produce.

KiamaSaint

Coach
Mann has to be in the team.

My team would be different from most:

Widdop
Flo
Dugan
Milne
MacDonald
Mann
McCrone
Sims
Friz
JT
Vaughan
McInnis
Packer

Luciano
Host
Ah Mau
Field - get some time at half off the bench, McCrone to hooker.

Assuming Masoe and JBD won't be available round 1.

Last edited:

Dragsters

First Grade
The Rd 1 team I would like to see at this stage is...

1. Dufty

2. McDonald

3. Dugan

4. Milne

5. Nighty

6. Mann

7. Widdop

8. Packer

9. Mcinnes

10. Vaughn

11. Frizzell

12. Leilua

13. JDB

14. Sims

15. LAM

16. Thompson

17. Host

Moving Widdop to 7 allows for Mann and Nona to fight it out for the 6 jumper with minimal disruption. Mann gets first crack allowing Nona to fully recover from injury.

LAM makes my bench for now but could make way for Masoe when fully fit.

Unfortunately Aitken misses out but is first back up centre ahead of Lafai.

MattoDragon

Juniors
DUFTY
MACDONALD
DUGAN
AITKEN)------ These two can swap roles
MILNE)-------- during the game
WIDDOP
MANN
VAUGHAN
HAVILI
PACKER
FRIZELL
THOMPSON
JDB

LEILUA
SIMS
HOST
MCINNES

FLO is a legend and I doubt he will be dropped, but I think the time is right to add some speed and size to our flanks.
I'm not a fan of MCINNES and think he's a backward step from REIN. But for the time being he'd be on my bench.
MASOE will need time in the Cutters.
Unless AH MAU regains 2015 form I think he's playing Cutters. HOST, SIMS and LEILUA can all play front and back row.
Maybe I see something in JDB that others here don't. I think he's a workhorse and would be sorely missed if not in the side.
I would like to see both FIELD and ROBSON given some Cutters game time early in the season and eventually get some NRL game time later in the year.

dragonsman4eva

Juniors
1.Dufty
2.Nene
3.Dugan
4.Aitken
5.Gypsy
6.Nona
7.Widdop
8.Packer
9.McInnes
10.Vaughn
11.Frizzell
12.Thompson
13.Debelin

14.Sims
15.Havili
16.Host
17.Leilua
18.Sele

1.It's time for Dufty to get a shot, he's ready
2.All depending on trials but I think Nona is a great player and can compliment Widdop well
3.Cant understand the people wanting to drop Nightingale. Does all the small things well. Very experienced. Absolute LEGEND of our club. He has lost speed but that's a cop out, he's still a wonderful winger.
4.Ah Mau misses out for me. He didnt do enough to justify his position in the side last year when we had players knocking on the door.
5.Robson and Field are a must have in the team before the year is out, sooner rather than later IMO

Old Timer

Coach
Not a trial played and some not putting in Mann and others putting in Masoe.
Leading try scorer and fastest back from 2016 doesn't get a run and a prop who has been out for a year, hasn't played in the NRL for many years and is still recovering from additional surgery gets a start.
Absolute insanity.

BrissyRedV

Bench
Not a trial played and some not putting in Mann and others putting in Masoe.
Leading try scorer and fastest back from 2016 doesn't get a run and a prop who has been out for a year, hasn't played in the NRL for many years and is still recovering from additional surgery gets a start.
Absolute insanity.
Agree. Mann's try scoring strike rate on the end of a poor attacking backline was well superior to that of MacDonalds for the Titans.
Mann 13 games, 10 tries, 1 try assist, 8 line breaks.
MacDonald 22 games, 10 tries, 2 try assists, 2 line breaks
You could say the same about Ah Mau and the misconception that he is not up to scratch. Sure, his performance seemed down on the previous seasons, but the numbers he put out were comparable to that of Packers.

possm

Coach
Dufty
MacDonald
Dugan
Milne
Aitken
Mann
Widdop
Vaughan
McInnes
Packer
Thompson
Frizell
De Belin

Host
Kerr / Mosoe when match fit
Sims
Leilua

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Dugan
Mann
MacDonald
Milne
Nightingale
Nona
McCrone
Vaughn
McInnes
Packer
Luciano
Thompson (c)
Frizzell

Bench: Kerr, Sims, AhMau, Havili

Couldnt find room for Dufty, JDB, Aitken or Marketo but expect them all to get a run at some stage. Left out Widdop because I'm sick of watching him.

JDHD

Juniors
Dufty
MacDonald
Dugan
Aitken
Nightingale
Widdop
Mann
DeBelin
McInnes
Vaughan
Host
Thompson
Frizell

Sims
Packer
Leilua
Havili

Only real change is JDB at prop (his best game last year was at prop in City Country), Frizell at lock (because he tore up state of origin there) and Dufty at FB because, well, let's not kid ourselves.

Also Mann at halfback because he was our best player last year and needs to get his hands on the ball more than anyone outside of the hookers

dino2170

Juniors
why are we worried about the first round if we dont have a nines roster yet. are we in it to win it. are we going to win a game at least.

JDHD

Juniors
why are we worried about the first round if we dont have a nines roster yet. are we in it to win it. are we going to win a game at least.

I doubt that they'll send anyone of note and that's a real shame. The Nines are a weird comp. They're great fun to watch, they give a lot of young kids a run and get their name into the zeitgeist (eg Bevan French, Latrell Mitchell, Matt Dufty etc). Unfortunately, they're viewed in a negative light by the majority of clubs (mostly because of the injuries that always happen).

I think we should send a full strength team over for one reason: our club is in a financial bind and the first prize is literally a million dollars. That would be a massive help to our infrastructure, junior dev, facilities, etc.

Rob Dragon

Juniors
1. Dufty - If we were with any other club it would not matter that he is 20.
2. Nightingale - possibly on sentiment for me. A club legend and trust he makes his last season a cracker.
3. Dugan - he is a rep centre, another said.
4. Milne - I like this kid. One of the few highlights from 2015.
5. McDonald - he has been signed to play 1st grade.
6. Mann - I reckon this kid has a football brain and I want him closer to the ball. Played his junior football here and has to be a better option to the dud who has played their the last few year.
7. Nona - The Cutters coach from last year rated him the best "non NRL' player in the NSW Cup. That coach knows a little more than the fool coaching us so that will do me. Has to get 1st grade fit however.
8. Vaughan - signed to play 1st grade
9. McInnis - had better do well as we are very skinny in this position
10. Packer - up to it.
11. Sims - expect him to really settle this year and make an impact.
12. Thompson - needs a big season to hold off emerging talent.
13. Frizzell - an elite player now.

14. Ah Mau - critical to have replacement props.
15. Leluia - I hope that fool of a coach lets him go out and play football. Has to tackle though!
16. De Bellin - best defensive forward in the club but keep him away from those ridiculous sweep plays.
17. Widdop - can cover a multiple of positions and could play dummy half at a pinch.

Comments: I feel sorry for Aitken but he has been instructed to play as a bash and barge centre and he is not big enough to do that. I will keep an eye on Josh Kerr, Jacob Host and Jacob Hind as they have good futures. If Masoe is not fit by Round 6 I would cut him (unfortunately because I thought he would add something).

All of this is academic however because if we continue to play "Dragons footy" under the coaching structures in place we are doomed and will run 15th or 16th.We are going to play against teams like the Panthers, Warriors, Tigers, Raiders etc who will run riot with the ball. If you don't score points against them you are in trouble. Of course expect the Storm, Bronco's, Cowboys etc to continue to dominate.