What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My team for round 1

Carlton

Juniors
Funny that Bellamy is used as an example with regards to Widdop seeing as he brought him through the grades and won the 2012 premiership with him at 5/8.

The difference is Bellamy did not use him as a playmaker or captain. Mary needs to see this and look for his playmaker and captain elsewhere.

Glenn01

Juniors
Funny that Bellamy is used as an example with regards to Widdop seeing as he brought him through the grades and won the 2012 premiership with him at 5/8.
If Widdop has star ball players and/or ball runners all around him and was under instructions not to try and do much himself and was taking up minimum space in the salary cap, he wouldn't nearly be as bad. At the time 5/8 was Melbourne's Achilles heel. Widdop won't get signed by any other club. once upon a time Ben Hornby was an excellent fullback. The game simply progressed and he was no longer adequate as a fullback. Same goes for Widdop as an NRL standard player.

Old Timer

Coach
1. I'm not THAT embarrassed.
2. Takes time.
3. Only one account can be associated with one email address.
Only a man with experience and form would know about point 3.
The average guy wouldn't even consider thinking about it.
So Mr Feb 8, 2017 you seem to know a lot of things for a newbie.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
I know we're posting our Rd 1 teams, but i'd like to have a crack at posting a team when we're back to full strength.

1. Dufty
2. Macdonald
3. Dugan
4. Milne
5. Nightingale (reluctantly)
6. Field
7. Widdop (very reluctantly)
8. Vaughan
9. Mcinnes
10. Packer
11. Thompson
12. Frizell
13. De Belin (If he plays like he did in the Charity Shield)

14. Sims
15. Leilua
16. Masoe
17. Ah Mau/Host/Havili/Aitken

The biggest selection headache for me is who gets the left centre spot when Dufty is back and Dugan moves to right centre. Milne and Aitken both have so many pros and cons.. I've put Milne in for now but that could change so quickly.

Crush

Coach
Only a man with experience and form would know about point 3.
The average guy wouldn't even consider thinking about it.
So Mr Feb 8, 2017 you seem to know a lot of things for a newbie.
Why get so involved and worked up with such a poster? That's just what he wants? He wins. You are better than that. What's the point of entering into childish rubbish with idiots trying to get a reaction from key members of the forum like yourself, BrissyRedV, benny etc. Leave it alone already.

j0nesy

Bench
My Round 1 team (considering injuries)
1. Dugan (would have Dufty if fit with Dugan to centre)
2. Garrick (don't rate MacDonald)
3. Aitken
4. Milne
5. Nightingale
6. Mann (Widdop is goooone)
7. Mccrone
8. Vaughan
9. McInness
10. Packer
11. Thompson
12. Frizzel
13. De Belin

14. Field
15. Leilua (Host if we want more stability, but see how Leilua goes first)
16. Sims
17. Kerr (Ah Mau still a chance and Masoe back when injured)

Radical I know, but I think this is close to our best available team.

Old Timer

Coach
Crush
Well Crush, I hear what you say but I'm a bit of a kid at heart and just love New Year's Eve, Queen's Birthday and the 4th July.
Inevitably with this guy it always end up there and it is a sight to behold when the fireworks start.
Tom thumbs, Catherine wheels, sky rockets, roman candles the whole gamut.
Not as good as tuppeny bungers in a letter box might add but mighty close.
I note you joined on a significant day, I'll try and remember that if you know what I mean, and at least try to not to light so many wicks.
My dear old mum even to this day still asks me what will I do when I grow up and I always answer die.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
I spoke to Mark Latham tonight who is a keen Dragons supporter . Like the majority of us he is concerned about the form of Widdop. When will the message get through to our switched on coaching staff who ignore the obvious?

BrissyRedV

Bench
Why get so involved and worked up with such a poster? That's just what he wants? He wins. You are better than that. What's the point of entering into childish rubbish with idiots trying to get a reaction from key members of the forum like yourself, BrissyRedV, benny etc. Leave it alone already.
It is like picking a scab. It's hard to stop until it's gone and you're bleeding...

Wauchope Dragon

Juniors
Here's my effort. A couple of notes. I love gypsy, but just too slow now. Mann has real quality about him. He has to be there somewhere. Was great on the wing at the end of last year. Field doesn't look ready, but we we could use him off the bench with McCrone going to Hooker. Gareth was awful on the weekend, but he will play.

I'd play the young centres, but realise they will let tries through each game due to poor reads. Short term pain scenario if they work on it and improve.

1. Dugan
2. MacDonald
3. Aitken
4. Milne
5. Mann
6. Widdop (short term if he doesn't pick it up)
7. McCrone until Field is ready

Forwards pick themselves. Field on the bench with three boppers. Luciano may be a good idea just to get a ball player in. May also benefit from reserve grade to build defence and fitness.

Dufty in when back with Dugan into the centres, but play some fullback in defence (best defensive fullback in the comp).

Wauchope Dragon

Juniors
A quick side note I don't know why we always had insufficient numbers on Aitkens side on the weekend. Tough when it was always four in three. Can't be that hard to number up.

Vinnie

Juniors
1. Dufty (if Fit) If not then Mann
2. Nightingale - Safe as houses, proven consistent player
3. Dugan - Get it over with and play him at centre, been the longest lasting opera saga in history ! JUST DO IT
4. Aitken / Milne - Tough one but either
5. Mann - If Dufty fit if not Garrick, Don't Rate McDonald shit buy wasn't needed we have enough backs and needs to learn how to catch a ball. On that note still trying to work out why we signed Dodd as well, maybe we need more backs again.
6. Nona - Need to look forward and these kids have to be our future.
7. Field - As per Nona and this kid could be special if given time and allowed to play. The pair will get invaluable experience and ready to partner Hunt when he arrives.
8. Vaughan
9. McInnes
10. Sims
11. Thompson
12. Frizzell
13. Widdop - My surprise !!! But need him in the team, Good Defender, Strong Runner, could be time to move to forwards like many other 5/8s before him.

14. Packer - Massive impact player when he comes on against tiring defence. Let Vaughan and Sims soften them up then let Packer Loose
15. Leilua - Massive push to keep him here and so he should have been kept but lets play him
16. De Belin
17. Havili - Cover hooker and backline if required.

Different team but we know we have to look for 2018 now so lets get some of these young ones blooded and experienced. Throw caution to the wind !!!

Uplifting

Juniors
I'd like propose this for round 1 (based on very little footy played so far):

1. Nightingale (Until Dufty is available)

2. Macdonald
3. Dugan
4. Milne
5. Dodd

6. Widdop
7. Mann

8. Vaughan
9. Havili
10. Packer
11. Sims
12. Frizell
13. De Belin

14. Field/Masoe
15. Leilua
16. Host
17. McInness

I'd get Field on in the second half for Mann and if by round 4 we haven't been able to match it with the other teams I'd drop one of the three halves and get Masoe (who'd be match fit from Cutters) back in the team and play him on the edge.

nontime111

Juniors
Im only a back so I only know a little about backlines
So my team for the year and to stick with them, no changing would be:

DUFTY
MCDONALD
MILNE
DUGAN
MANN
WIDDOP ( I know I know ...but heavily leaning to NONA if he stays as crap)
FIELD

nontime111

Juniors
I know we're posting our Rd 1 teams, but i'd like to have a crack at posting a team when we're back to full strength.

1. Dufty
2. Macdonald
3. Dugan
4. Milne
5. Nightingale (reluctantly)
6. Field
7. Widdop (very reluctantly)
8. Vaughan
9. Mcinnes
10. Packer
11. Thompson
12. Frizell
13. De Belin (If he plays like he did in the Charity Shield)

14. Sims
15. Leilua
16. Masoe
17. Ah Mau/Host/Havili/Aitken

The biggest selection headache for me is who gets the left centre spot when Dufty is back and Dugan moves to right centre. Milne and Aitken both have so many pros and cons.. I've put Milne in for now but that could change so quickly.

I like this team a lot!! I concur!!
Id retire Nights though, hard as it is, hes too slow now, charity shield really showed him up badly, if he stays a lot of tries will be scored through his wing unfortunately, I love the guy... as you can see from my profile picture! but hes way too old now I think, Mann went great there last year and Nenes a gun so he cant compete with those two kids UI dont think

possm

Coach
Surely it wouldn't be too hard to clock each player's speed during pre-season training. In the same way other skills should be assessed for each player in an effort to see who is suitable for selection considerations.

And why not have a few games between the Cutters and first grade during the off-season training sessions to assess suitability for selection in various positions.

I'm sure many of the questions would be answered before season start.

BrissyRedV

Bench
Surely it wouldn't be too hard to clock each player's speed during pre-season training. In the same way other skills should be assessed for each player in an effort to see who is suitable for selection considerations.

And why not have a few games between the Cutters and first grade during the off-season training sessions to assess suitability for selection in various positions.

I'm sure many of the questions would be answered before season start.
I have no doubt they would track players speeds etc. via GPS monitoring systems that most clubs have in place to measure these things.