What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My team for round 1

BrissyRedV

Bench
Dependant on availability, if I were to select the first round team:
1. Dufty
2. MacDonald
3. Dugan
4. Milne
5. Flo
6. Widdop
7. Mann
8. Packer
9. McInnes
10. LAM
11. Frizzell
12. Thompson
13. JDB
14. Sims
15. Vaughan
16. Host
17. Havili

Crush

Coach
Dependant on availability, if I were to select the first round team:
1. Dufty
2. MacDonald
3. Dugan
4. Milne
5. Flo
6. Widdop
7. Mann
8. Packer
9. McInnes
10. LAM
11. Frizzell
12. Thompson
13. JDB
14. Sims
15. Vaughan
16. Host
17. Havili
Brissy, that is my team too. Use Sims and Vaughan off the bench.
Marys team will be very different though. I doubt Dufty will get a run, Aitken will be in there somewhere, Mann has zero chance of playing half, Milne might miss out for lafai.....

BrissyRedV

Bench
Brissy, that is my team too. Use Sims and Vaughan off the bench.
Marys team will be very different though. I doubt Dufty will get a run, Aitken will be in there somewhere, Mann has zero chance of playing half, Milne might miss out for lafai.....
Yes agree, Mary will likely go for McCrone, Lafai and Aitken over Milne, Mann and Dufty. I can also see him Swaping the starting props around and I suspect he will go for Marketo in place of Havili. Personally, I think Sims and Vaughan give better impact off the bench with Packer and LAM being the more "stable" of the props available. Once Gigantor Mose gets some match fitness he should definitely be in contention for a bench spot as well. Mary just has give this pack a licence to offload and I believe that would help the team to score more points.

Crush

Coach
Yes agree, Mary will likely go for McCrone, Lafai and Aitken over Milne, Mann and Dufty. I can also see him Swaping the starting props around and I suspect he will go for Marketo in place of Havili. Personally, I think Sims and Vaughan give better impact off the bench with Packer and LAM being the more "stable" of the props available. Once Gigantor Mose gets some match fitness he should definitely be in contention for a bench spot as well. Mary just has give this pack a licence to offload and I believe that would help the team to score more points.
I just posted the same thing in another thread. The dragons need to do what Trent Merrin does for Panthers and have big guys going through the middle with little guys supporting and waiting for the offloads. Going wide isnt working for the time being so go through the middle. Our strength is our mobile forwards so play to strengths and take some pressure off Widdop who is struggling to be the playmaker.

BrissyRedV

Bench
I just posted the same thing in another thread. The dragons need to do what Trent Merrin does for Panthers and have big guys going through the middle with little guys supporting and waiting for the offloads. Going wide isnt working for the time being so go through the middle. Our strength is our mobile forwards so play to strengths and take some pressure off Widdop who is struggling to be the playmaker.
I said something similar in another thread ref: Merrin and it all comes back on to Mary and his completion game plan. Mez made 19 offloads in 2015 at 1 per game. He made 56 at 2.2 last year. Having the forwards offload creates space, breaks down defences and as you say, will take the pressure off not just Widdop, but both play makers and the backs as a whole. JDB has a great offload on him as does Frizzell, Packer, Sims and Vaughan. Having players like Dugan, Mann, Widdop, McInnes (who is surprisingly fast) and Field when he is ready, trail them when they are offloading and they will wreak havoc.

Crush

Coach
I said something similar in another thread ref: Merrin and it all comes back on to Mary and his completion game plan. Mez made 19 offloads in 2015 at 1 per game. He made 56 at 2.2 last year. Having the forwards offload creates space, breaks down defences and as you say, will take the pressure off not just Widdop, but both play makers and the backs as a whole. JDB has a great offload on him as does Frizzell, Packer, Sims and Vaughan. Having players like Dugan, Mann, Widdop, McInnes (who is surprisingly fast) and Field when he is ready, trail them when they are offloading and they will wreak havoc.
Its a simple yet effective start to our attacking deficiencies. Offloads. Marys not a fan though. He prefers 4 hit ups then throw the ball to Widdop.

BrissyRedV

Bench
Its a simple yet effective start to our attacking deficiencies. Offloads. Marys not a fan though.
That is because he is trying to play the game Wayne Bennett had us play 2010. He lacks the ability to develop a plan of his own and design effective structures for the team to play that takes advantage of individuals strengths and weaknesses.

BrissyRedV

Bench
Its a simple yet effective start to our attacking deficiencies. Offloads. Marys not a fan though.
Argh, so many issues with Marys coaching, no offloads, no players running different angles, no outside inside plays. Just block play after block play with a sweeper and set up for the mid field on the last.

emu62

Juniors
Surely it wouldn't be too hard to clock each player's speed during pre-season training. In the same way other skills should be assessed for each player in an effort to see who is suitable for selection considerations.

And why not have a few games between the Cutters and first grade during the off-season training sessions to assess suitability for selection in various positions.

I'm sure many of the questions would be answered before season start.

Only problem possm, under McWrecker who deserves selection & who is selected are generally poles apart

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Can I just say, if McGregor opts for McCrone at starting halfback and decides to bring Field off the bench, it would be a monumental error in judgement.
I can understand the thought process, McCrone at half for 60 minutes, move him to hooker to give Mcinnes a breather and play Field at 6, but it's just such a stupid play when you've got a genuine hooker in Havili who could use that bench spot or fill the bench with impact forwards.
Besides, Widdop was quoted saying that he will literally have to completely change his playing style for both of these blokes. Widdop has enough trouble sticking to the one, boring and predictable style of play he already has, let alone trying to switch between two different styles in the one game.

Crush

Coach
Can I just say, if McGregor opts for McCrone at starting halfback and decides to bring Field off the bench, it would be a monumental error in judgement.
I can understand the thought process, McCrone at half for 60 minutes, move him to hooker to give Mcinnes a breather and play Field at 6, but it's just such a stupid play when you've got a genuine hooker in Havili who could use that bench spot or fill the bench with impact forwards.
Besides, Widdop was quoted saying that he will literally have to completely change his playing style for both of these blokes. Widdop has enough trouble sticking to the one, boring and predictable style of play he already has, let alone trying to switch between two different styles in the one game.
Round 1. Mccrone 7, field off the bench. Its locked in I reckon. Prepare for a season of pain and anguish

Ex goon

Juniors
Round 1. Mccrone 7, field off the bench. Its locked in I reckon. Prepare for a season of pain and anguish
@ crush you are 100% spot on. Just confirmed McCrone starting @7 Jai off bench & no Marketo playing in Cutters with Nona & Havili.

Old Timer

Coach
If true Jai better take a cushion with him as the bench could be very hard on his little arse.
Mary will probably leave him there to almost exclusively watch for the first 6 rounds.

Old Timer

Coach
Fair dinkum guys
The team is not announced, nothing is confirmed and it is a prediction not a fact, although far more likely than not.
Just another reporter with his 2 bobs worth about the Dragons.
No mention of any other positions.
All will be revealed tomorrow.