What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NAB Draft 2006

meltiger

First Grade
lockyno1 said:
I am not excited, becuase I know Luxemberg will be better thats why.

Except that you already have a very highly rated young ruckmen in Patrick Ryder.

CyberKev

Staff member
Okay.

I've had a closer look at Collingwood's choices and it could be that i was harsh in my initial assessment.

I suspect that they realised that they were in a similar position to Hawthorn (KPP wise) and took action accordingly.

With Tarrant gone, two of the Clokes failing to measure up, and Rocca & Wakelin both set to call it quits over the next two years, it was clear that they were looking disturbingly light-on in the talls department.

Hence the decision to pick up a number of tall, mobile, KPP types, which is fair enough.

CyberKev

Staff member
Re: Geelong.

Just think that had Hawkins not been eligible under father/son and had Selwood not been coming off a prolonged nasty injury, then its perfectly possible that those boys would've quinella'd the whole draft.

Hawkins looks particularly exciting and at 198cm and 97 kg is looking more like a Tony Lockett type than any player I've seen since Pluggger.

Could be awesome.

meltiger

First Grade
CyberKev said:
Okay.

I've had a closer look at Collingwood's choices and it could be that i was harsh in my initial assessment.

I suspect that they realised that they were in a similar position to Hawthorn (KPP wise) and took action accordingly.

With Tarrant gone, two of the Clokes failing to measure up, and Rocca & Wakelin both set to call it quits over the next two years, it was clear that they were looking disturbingly light-on in the talls department.

Hence the decision to pick up a number of tall, mobile, KPP types, which is fair enough.

I am a bit concerned by the seeming 3-1 split between KPP and mediums. I actually think the Pies are ok for insides, and their biggest problem is pace. I would have gone a 2-2 split between KPP and fast outside types.

lockyno1

Post Whore
meltiger said:
Except that you already have a very highly rated young ruckmen in Patrick Ryder.

Sorry, I just don't rate him. He is way too inconsistent to be a matchwinning ruckman!

CyberKev

Staff member
lockyno1 said:
Sorry, I just don't rate him. He is way too inconsistent to be a matchwinning ruckman!

LMFAO! :lol:

Oh come on, give me a freakin break, Lockers!

He's an 18 year old coming off his debut season, you can't expect him to be performing like Simon Madden in his prime.

CyberKev said:
Okay.

after delisting Cloke, Cloke, Walker, Hall, Fanning and trading Tarrant, there was a huge lack of depth in key talls with rocca, wakelin and presti in their late 20s early 30s. We have some promising young talls already in Travis, Rusling and some rookies from last year Anthony, Toovey and Cox

we still have 1 pick in the PSD which i think we will get a ruckman who has been delisted (keating or bryan) and then we have 3 rookie picks where we will look at midfielders

CyberKev

Staff member
meltiger said:
I am a bit concerned by the seeming 3-1 split between KPP and mediums. I actually think the Pies are ok for insides, and their biggest problem is pace. I would have gone a 2-2 split between KPP and fast outside types.

Collingwood, as with most other sides, has clear gaps in several areas and the sort of gaps that take 2-3 drafts to fill.

Were I a Collingwood fan I'd be pleased to see them thinking ahead and thinking strategically about how to best time these necessary changes.

Clearly, their coaching staff shares my view that you need 8-9 KPP types on your list in order to simultaneously cater for top team needs, provide depth, and to allow for ongoing youth development.

After yesterday, they have: Shane Wakelin; Anthony Rocca; Travis Cloke; Ben Reid; Nathan Brown; Chris Dawes; Sean Rusling, Shannon Cox, John Anthony & Simon Prestagiacomo.

That puts them one over the card going into 2007, but Wakelin is a certainty to retire at the end of 2007 and Rocca will head for the US either at the same time or at the end of 2008. Given that it'll take a good bit of fortune for the likes of Cox and Anthony to make the grade, I think they've taken a smart route here.

Over the next few years they'll also need to find another couple of capable inside midfielders and another couple of good pacy outside midfield options, but as they generally adapt more quickly to top flight football, they won't find themselves going into 2009 unbalanced for height.

Assuming the tall types come on okay, but for players taken with picks 8 and below, they don't seem too bad of choices considering their list circumstances.

CyberKev

Staff member
I should clarify my comment on Collingwood finding themselves in a similar KPP position to Hawthorn, by making it clear that I was referring to Hawthorn circa 2004. At that time, Hawthorn was looking as light-on quality wise as Collingwood (prior to yesterday's draft) and even worse positioned quantity wise.

lockyno1

Post Whore
CyberKev said:
LMFAO! :lol:

Oh come on, give me a freakin break, Lockers!

He's an 18 year old coming off his debut season, you can't expect him to be performing like Simon Madden in his prime.

No but I expect him to show me SOMETHING! He hasn't done anything!

aqua_duck

Coach
I reckon the eagles would have been very happy to get McKenzie at considering he was expected by quite a few to go 1st round, he's a 195cm key position tall, and he's a WA boy to boot. Could be the steal of the draft

CyberKev

Staff member
aqua_duck said:
I reckon the eagles would have been very happy to get McKenzie at considering he was expected by quite a few to go 1st round, he's a 195cm key position tall, and he's a WA boy to boot. Could be the steal of the draft

Quite possibly.

I liked the footage I saw of McKenzie and was quite surprised to see him drop that low. I wouldn't mind betting that had Renouf not been available at 24 that Hawthorn may well have ran with McKenzie.

CyberKev

Staff member
lockyno1 said:
No but I expect him to show me SOMETHING! He hasn't done anything!

Highly unrealistic expectations,methinks.

With young ruckmen you don't even expect them to be playing top grade first year (or possibly even second year).

Cameron Wood and john Meeson were both high ruck fancies in the 2004 draft and they've scarcely seen the paddock over the past two years, but neither Adelaide or Brisbane would be overly concerned at this stage.

which players do u guys reckon will get a 2nd chance in the PSD?

i would expect skipworth, bryan, keating to be drafted along with ackland and michael who are already confirmed

j cloke is an outside chance to get drafted if a side feels they may need a back up 3rd tall defender and it wouldnt surprise me to see c cloke get rookied by another club

CyberKev

Staff member
meltiger said:
Kingsley is a near certainity :(

Would Richmond bother with Kingsley now that they have a very strong FF prospect in Reiwoldt?

Were I the Tigers, I wouldn't muck with the likes of Kingsley, when I could put Reiwoldt straight in at FF and develop him.

He could well fill the spearhead role for Richmond for the next 15 years.

CyberKev

Staff member
Collingwood Storm said:
which players do u guys reckon will get a 2nd chance in the PSD?

i would expect skipworth, bryan, keating to be drafted along with ackland and michael who are already confirmed

j cloke is an outside chance to get drafted if a side feels they may need a back up 3rd tall defender and it wouldnt surprise me to see c cloke get rookied by another club

I suspect that former Hawks Luke Brennan & Josh Thurgood may yet end up somewhere.

I'm certainly hoping that the Hawks use their pick on ex-Kangaroo key defender, Joel Perry. I'm still stunned that they cut him adrift in the first place.

I'd also expect former Bomber ruck youngster, Tristan Carteledge to get a gig with someone (thankfully it won't be us now).

meltiger

First Grade
CyberKev said:
Would Richmond bother with Kingsley now that they have a very strong FF prospect in Reiwoldt?

Were I the Tigers, I wouldn't muck with the likes of Kingsley, when I could put Reiwoldt straight in at FF and develop him.

He could well fill the spearhead role for Richmond for the next 15 years.

Yes, in the back half. Although, to be fair to Kent, my main complaint is that he is one of the worst goal kickers accuracy wise in the League. If he is used as a tall down back, it could end up a positive. Richmond have stated they would use 6 selections, either 6-0 or 5-1. As they only used 5 in the National Draft, I fully expect them to pick up Kingsley come December.

A positive with Cousin Riewoldt is they expect him to play seniors next year :thumn

meltiger

First Grade
CyberKev said:
I'm certainly hoping that the Hawks use their pick on ex-Kangaroo key defender, Joel Perry. I'm still stunned that they cut him adrift in the first place.

Perry was one I was keen on, and the club certainly would look at him given their interest in getting him during trade week, however given Hawthorn missed that Carlton defender, I fully expect the Hawks to take a long hard look at Perry now.

He won't last until 8, hence my belief we will draft Kingsley.