What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nail your colours to the mast

st penguin

Juniors
OK, let's nail our colours to the mast. What are everyone's expectations for the remainder of the season?

1. What place do you think we will come on the ladder?
2. How far into the finals do you think we will go?
3. What will constitute a successful season?

All these questions are based on the current team at round 17.

My answers:
1. 3rd - We are winning too many games close.
2. lose in the semi final
3. Premiership. Despite our shortcomings, I also think panthers, souths, storm have their own limitations. This season is there for the taking.

Alec's-saints

Juniors
once origin is over we will start to step up towards the finals. i think we will take out the minor premiership. preliminary final is a pass park anything less is a disgrace. top 4 teams should always make week 3 regardless!! having a second bite at the cherry helps immensely, rather the week off tbh..

ALSGI

Bench
1. I think we will finish 1st or second after 25 rounds.
2. If we finish 1st or second we automatically play week two. I still believe Finals are a lottery. Depends on who we play, injuries etc. We can go all the way. I reckon we’ll play Cronulla in the GF.
3. For mine it’s almost a sucessful season already. If we improve on the 28 points we got last year (with 2 byes) it’s improvement and succesful. I’ve already enjoyed the year so far, much more than I have in years. Don’t give a shit what some say, it’s not accepting mediocraty at all, it’s about enjoying the footy played by our team and I’m having a ball.

Alec's-saints

Juniors
1. I think we will finish 1st or second after 25 rounds.
2. If we finish 1st or second we automatically play week two. I still believe Finals are a lottery. Depends on who we play, injuries etc. We can go all the way. I reckon we’ll play Cronulla in the GF.
3. For mine it’s almost a sucessful season already. If we improve on the 28 points we got last year (with 2 byes) it’s improvement and succesful. I’ve already enjoyed the year so far, much more than I have in years. Don’t give a shit what some say, it’s not accepting mediocraty at all, it’s about enjoying the footy played by our team and I’m having a ball.
top 4 we automatically play week 2

ALSGI

Bench
top 4 we automatically play week 2
Right you are mate, except winners of the top 4 in week one go straight to week three so 2 teams don’t play week 2.
Top 4 all progress regardless.
1 v 2
3 v 4
(Winners get a week off and progress to week 3).
5 v 8
6 v 7
Losers drop out.
(Winners play losers of top 4).

Slippery Morris

First Grade
1. Top 4 - Looking at the draw they should finish 1st
2. Saints to go deep into Finals possibly to the last game.
3. Making top 4 is a successful season for me. At the end of the day they were not expected to make top 8 by these so called critics. I had them as finishing 8th or 7th at best. Next year however nothing less than top 4.

BennyV

Referee
Second.

Week 2. I don’t think we have another level to go up in the semis. We have real cracks showing that I don’t think we are actually addressing.

Success is winning - as in, winning the premiership. However, Top 4 is already exceeding my expectation and if we win a finals game I’ll gladly admit I was wrong about that! It won’t be a failure of a season.

Bench
I'm a half glass fellow I am happy to go week to week. The finals will sort themselves out.

Crossbow

Juniors
Watching the game last night and I don’t think we can.Our attack is ordinary .Defense is still good although parramatta did throw a good team out there and maybe they might trouble a few teams in the run home.Struggled against the dogs pounded by Souths and Penrith.Do we rest guys now.I think for us to be a force we need to sharpen up our attack by a 100 percent.Plus the team in general is looking really tired.Our attack now is the making or undoing of our season.Plus rest and rotation to freshen up the boys for the September assault.

epDragon62

First Grade
Yes, we can but it won't be due to the coaching and lots of things will need to keep going our way.

We have the cattle with Mann on the wing but sadly Nighty should drop off the bench too and be replaced by a forward or real utility, which I don't know that we have.

Brutalitops

Juniors
Of course. Any team in the Top 4 can.

It's by the very nature of rugby league that any team can beat any other on their day. And it's also by the nature of rugby league that the teams that ultimately win do not always destroy the competition.

Saying we can't win the comp because of a Round 16 performance is absolute insanity. Just as it would be to say we are certainties to win after a big win.

We absolutely CAN win the comp. If anything, the way in which we won last night should boost our chances rather than diminish them

I think we can, weather we will or not is a different story.

This is a different Dragons. As a lot of people pointed out, we would not have won that game last night in any of the past 6 years, but we found a way.
I remember a year when Cronulla won the minor premiership and didn't get into the plus on for and against till the final round.
It's about finding a way to win at any cost, this year we can.

Our attack has gone off a bit, but with Dufty, Widdop, Hunt we can score from anywhere.
We have what I consider the best pack in the comp.
More concerning to me is the line speed in defence at the moment, but we can turn that around, we need to stop chasing games.

Winning premierships is not about winning by 50 every game, it's about finding a way to win close games.

mickeylane

Bench
By my calculations we have led the comp from the 1st round commencing early
March, April, May, June and most likely all of July meaning that we would have led for a minimum of 75% of the year if by some chance we happen to falter in the last few weeks - we have been by far the most consistent team in the comp by a mile this year across all stats!!

One thing I've learned in life is that statistics do count for something especially in team sport and I'm certain that we are more than capable of winning the comp - I honestly think only 3 clubs can win it and thats Saints, Souths and Penrith.

Ive already gone on record that it will be Dragons v Penrith GF.

Gareth67

First Grade
Too much can happen between now and the big one , our chances depend on that much sought after top 4 spot . If we can secure it then as Brutalitops said we then will be a good chance - why ? Dog eat dog come semi time , every team puts in a full effort and when that occurs injuries also occur.

So it could very well come down to the survival of the fittest . Still imo , I believe that the Storm still have the experience to claim one of the top 4 positions as will the Rorters and Souths , thus leaving a position for the Dragons . From there , anyone can put their hands on the trophy , more deservedly our own mighty Dragons .

Last edited: