What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Name the Cup

In-goal

Bench
Since we all know that a RL world cup wouldn't be a world event like soccers maybe we should call it some thing different, for instance if we calld the championship the RLIF Huddersfield cup we wouldn't cop the flak from the media for trying to be something were not.

Other names i have come up with are:
1895 Cup
RLIF International Cup

I am a big fan of using Huddersfield as that is the birth place of our game.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I'd prefer not to see a location attached to it. That kind of makes it 'England's Cup. The 1895 cup has a better ring to it.

Chris

Tidus_Raider

Bench
Excuse my ignorance but why 1895. I'm assuming is an important historical date in the development of RL.

What about Intercontinental Cup?

In-goal

Bench
1895 is when the meeting of the then Northern Union took place at the George hotel in Huddersfield, which sparked the initial breakaway of proffessional Rugby (Rugby League) from the RFU.

dimitri

First Grade
RLIF International Cup

i really like this idea

has a real international feel to it

with out the word 'world'

excellent idea which would work great

and if was sponsored like the last one could be

something like COCA COLA RLIF INTERNATIONAL CUP

Lantana

Juniors
Spponsor it yes but no naming rights. It detracts from the prestige.
How about the RLIF International Cup bought to you by Coca Cola.

In-goal

Bench
Yes i think that a naming right sposor does detract a little so they can have plenty of pitch space or the In-goals

Parra_Eels

Bench
who actually first played league. i don't wanna sound like a copier from union but they have william webb ellis - who was it for us?

In-goal

Bench
who actually first played league. i don't wanna sound like a copier from union but they have william webb ellis - who was it for us?

Webb Ellis was the token first person to run the ball, there was once a spot known siply as rugby then in 1895 the sport was divided in 2 creating Rugby Union amatuer and the toughest sport on Earth Rugby League, at first both codes were played under the same rules the Northern Union facing the threat from soccer changed the rules to make it more visual friendly hence here we are today.

The George Hotel is were Rugby League (Northern Rugby Union) was born this pub is in Huddersfield Yorkshire Endland.

Anonymous

Juniors
In-goal said:

Webb Ellis was the token first person to run the ball...
Its a myth isnt it? My understanding is that the story surfaced around 1895, some 60 years after the alleged event.

Razor

Coach
Call it the World Cup, but not the Rugby League World Cup.

Do what Rugby Union does. They leave out Union. RL should leave out League so it'll be the Rugby World Cup.

zulu

Juniors
The world part does have to go the League of Nations or RL International Cup sounds great. Good post by whoever started it. Twp pools of five with the top two in each pool going through to the semis. Each team plays the other in their pool, making it four prelim games per side.

Australia
New Zealand
England
Wales
PNG
Samoa
Tonga
France
Russia
Oceania mix (fiji, cookislands ect)

paulmac

Juniors
How about naming it after the man who has done more for international rugby league than anyone.The Tas Bateiri Cup

In-goal

Bench
I think tas would be chuffed you thought of him in that light, maybe the player of the tournament award could be named after him.

yakstorm

First Grade
Willow said:
In-goal said:

Webb Ellis was the token first person to run the ball...
Its a myth isnt it? My understanding is that the story surfaced around 1895, some 60 years after the alleged event.

Very much a myth. First off the first developments of 'Rugby' had started a the Rugby School about 20 years before William Webb Ellis. Next durign the time they claimed Ellis 'ran with the ball' wouldn't of even raised an eyebrow cause it was still legal to hold the ball in Soccer till about 30 years after the 'Ellis event'.

In-goal

Bench
Thanks Yakstorm for once again telling it how it is, buy the way you know Tas don't you Yakstorm :?: