What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Name your best team since 1980

Bulldog Force

Referee
Let's go, anyone from 1980 until today:

1. Rod Silva
  2. Hazem El Masri
  3. John Timu
  4. Nigel Vagana
  5. Daryl Hailligan
  6. Terry Lamb
  7. Steve Mortimer
  8. Darren Britt
  9. Jason Hetherington
  10. Steve Price
  11. Steve Reardon
  12. Darren Smith
  13. Tony Grimaldi
  14. Craig Polla-Mounter
  15. Willie Mason
  16. Mark O'Meley
  17. Steve Folkes
Coach: Warren Ryan

Not many players from the 1980s for mine as I didn't see many. Thought others here a little older might name a few more from that era.

In no particular order
Cutler
Gearin
Mortimer
Mortimer
Mortimer
Tim Pickup
Casilles
John Peek
Gillespie
Dean Pay
Dr George
Geoff Robinson
Greg Brentnall
Steve Price
Peter Kelly
Jarred McCracken

Coach Ted Glossop and Wok.

They were awesome in the late 70's and 84 onward.
They were a ruthless uncompromising pack of hard buggers.

ek999

First Grade
Unless you include SBW it isn't your best team. You know he was one of our best regardless of how we left us. Also no love for Graham? :crazy:

I'm going to ignore 80's players except for Mortimer because I didn't get to see them play

Patten
El Masri
Morris
Vagana
Halligan
Lamb
Mortimer
Britt
Hetherington
Pay
Price
SBW
Dymock

J Smith
O'Meley
Mason
J Graham

TheFrog

Coach
The Bulldogs won 5 premierships in the 16 seasons from 1980-1995 and one in the 19 seasons since (notwithstanding still a miniscule chance this year). If you want the best team you want players from 1980-95.

Bulldog Force

Referee
Unless you include SBW it isn't your best team. You know he was one of our best regardless of how we left us. Also no love for Graham? :crazy:

I'm going to ignore 80's players except for Mortimer because I didn't get to see them play

Patten
El Masri
Morris
Vagana
Halligan
Lamb
Mortimer
Britt
Hetherington
Pay
Price
SBW
Dymock

J Smith
O'Meley
Mason
J Graham

EK - SBW was always injured and suspended in his time with us (remember his high tackle on Andrew Johns and Jonathon Thurson?). If he wasn't it would be a different story. Speaking of different stories, he is a better player in these 2 seasons at the Roosters then he was for us. We were waiting for him to reach that potential, but he dogged us before he got the chance to show us (and everyone) what he was made of.

ek999

First Grade
EK - SBW was always injured and suspended in his time with us (remember his high tackle on Andrew Johns and Jonathon Thurson?). If he wasn't it would be a different story. Speaking of different stories, he is a better player in these 2 seasons at the Roosters then he was for us. We were waiting for him to reach that potential, but he dogged us before he got the chance to show us (and everyone) what he was made of.

Injury and suspension doesn't change the fact he was our best player still during that time. From his debut he was one of the best in the game and I think your judgement is being clouded because of how he left. You have selected Timu who played less games than SBW and Vagana who played basically the same number of games, yet neither had anywhere near the influence of SBW.

Johnnie Red

Juniors
1: Ben Barba (please dont hurt me)
2: Hasim El Masri
3: Josh Morris
4: Nigel Vagana
5: Daryl Halligan
6: Terry Lamb
7: Steve Mortimer
8: Dean Pay
9: Jason Hethrington
10: James Graham
11: Darren Smith
12: Steve Price
13: Jim Dymock
14: Craig Poller Mounter
15: Mark O'Meley
16: Willie Mason
17: Darren Britt

It hurts me to say, but I think Ben Barba was our best fullback over that last couple of decades...all be it for 1 season. The General was a solid player and a great club man, but he wasn't the attacking weapon like Barba. Hell Barba isn't even the attacking weapon he was. Maybe I got this one wrong, but I'll stick to my guns.

taste2taste

Juniors

I might be looking in the past with rose coloured glasses, but i thought SBW was better as a Bulldog than a Rooster.

He was more athletic, more mobile... and i lost count how many times he'd draw in the winger and off load too a wide open El Masri! Plus he could do shoulder chargers back in the day :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkwcK2UVs0k