What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Name Your NSW Team of the Origin Era

myrrh ken

First Grade
K Gidley
D hall/ a quinn
Monaghan
T rex
N merritt/ s turner
M pearce (c)
J Mullen
J king
D young
T grant
B creagh
P bailey
J buhrer

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
A side without any NSWelshaman would go alright. I could cop a couple like Klemmer and Jake T but the rest can go and get fuc%#@.

Howwy

Juniors
The one forward from the 80's who had mistakenly been included in some of these sort of teams is noel clear. People obviously mistake his form for club and country as interstate games in their memories or stories heard or read. He was regularly completely useless v qld, picking up the nickname of Labrador because he was always bludging on the blind.

Noel Cleal ... Anyway, I thought the real reason was a certain Wally Fullerton-Smith.

The Friz

Juniors
Love Wishy but I don't think he gets a start over O'Connor and Hayne even on his best day.
There needs to be an investigation into the lack of Toovey in these sides.

Did Johns really do more than Sticky (4 series wins out of 5)?

Serious lack of Wishart love observed too.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Love Wishy but I don't think he gets a start over O'Connor and Hayne even on his best day.

Hayne no - but Mick only played 4 games on the wing. Wishart looks destined to being a forgotten Illawarra player.

I'm not saying I'd pick Wishart either. I was noting noone at all picked him.

Zadar

Juniors
Mini
ET
Fittler
O'conner
Grothe
Kenny
Johns
Clyde
Sirronen
Gillespie
Roach
Elias
Lazarus

Chief
Tunks
Menzies
Alexander

So many players that could make this team that had a pure passion and toughness, just seems like we had so many more quality players to pick from back in the day.

Game I 2013 was far and away Lewis' best performance, but it wasn't representative of his Origin career.

Cordner has been one of the Blues best the past two series. His worst performance was in the decider where he was carrying a calf injury and he still managed to make in-roads down the Maroons left fringe.

To each his own, but as an Origin player, Cordner shades all the other fringe runners that have come and gone.
That performance was a brilliant game and of course it wasn't a representation of his entire origin career because he would have won MOTM for just about every origin game he played if he played like that.

I don't understand what you've seen with Cords for the last 2 seasons. Game 3 this year he was pretty bad, game 2 was non existent, game 1 was pretty good. Last year he was injured for game 2 & 3 and he played really well in game 1 which was his best game to date. Prior to that he really hasn't stood up or anything but he had been used ineffectively up until last year. So basically that leave him with 1 good game and 1 solid game which really isn't anything to write home about. Surely Lewis is better then that.

Big Pete

Referee
Lewis' performance was a complete anomaly though.

Lewis struggled to make an impact at Origin, usually making around 9 runs for 60 odd metres, in that game he made 18 runs for 173m. He never came close to achieving that performance, meanwhile Cordner has consistently replicated his Game I 2016 performance.

'Well only 4 good games...'

If you want to put Ryan Hoffman in the team, by all means. I could even buy into the argument that Hoffman had more quality performances than Cordner and ergo should be in the side. Lewis? Not on Origin form.

Vee

First Grade
Mini
ET
Fittler
O'conner
Grothe
Kenny
Johns
Clyde
Sirronen
Gillespie
Roach
Elias
Lazarus

Chief
Tunks
Menzies
Alexander

So many players that could make this team that had a pure passion and toughness, just seems like we had so many more quality players to pick from back in the day.
Wow! No Laurie Daley?

Without having really studied the form, mine would be:

Mini
Hayne
Daley
Kenny
Grothe
Fittler
Johns
Lazarus
Buderus
Harragon
Sironen
Gillespie
Clyde

Wing
And three more forwards

Unlucky: ET, Snoz, Sterlo, Mortimer, Kennedy, McGregor, and I'm sure a dozen others.

The only thing that worries me about the side I picked is the lack of smarts in the pack. They're all big men who run and tackle hard but some subtlety and variation would be good.

Zadar

Juniors
Wow! No Laurie Daley?

Without having really studied the form, mine would be:

Mini
Hayne
Daley
Kenny
Grothe
Fittler
Johns
Lazarus
Buderus
Harragon
Sironen
Gillespie
Clyde

Wing
And three more forwards

Unlucky: ET, Snoz, Sterlo, Mortimer, Kennedy, McGregor, and I'm sure a dozen others.

The only thing that worries me about the side I picked is the lack of smarts in the pack. They're all big men who run and tackle hard but some subtlety and variation would be good.

Yeah very tough side to pick, I honestly think cliff Lyons was one of the most naturally gifted 5/8s I have seen play(magician with the short ball), but for some reason I can't fit him into my origin team, I could easily put Fittler in at lock to have a ball playing forward and Daley into the centers,but with that much talent in the backs I don't think it's needed. In origin i love just seeing two packs going at it, Spud is another that could go straight into that team.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Best NSW players of the Origin era:

1 Ettinghausen (Sorry Mini; ET's a league legend with a great rep record at fullback; what did Jack and Brasher ever do anyway?)
2 Hayne (Human Highlight reel - with Kenny only regular origin losers picked)
3 Daley
4 Fittler
5 Inglis (Better than Hayne)
6 Kenny (impressive and winning head to head record vs Wally during Qld dominance of 80s. Regular loser when playing centre so pips Daley and Fittler to the halves)
7 Stuart (Johns' origin record which is mostly based on game 2 2005 does not compare to Sticky's 4 series wins out of 5 with 3 motm)

The 90s NSW packs typically made being a Qld fan tough.

8 Lazarus
9 Elias (Sorry Toovey)
10 Roberts
11 Harrogan
12 Pay
13 Clyde

I am well aware I chose Pay ahead of Cement and Sirronen respectively.

Last edited:

Vee

First Grade
Best NSW players of the Origin era:

1 Ettinghausen (Sorry Mini; ET's a league legend with a great rep record at fullback; what did Jack and Brasher ever do anyway?)
2 Hayne (Human Highlight reel - with Kenny only regular origin losers picked)
3 Daley
4 Fittler
5 Inglis (Better than Hayne)
6 Kenny (impressive and winning head to head record vs Wally during Qld dominance of 80s. Regular loser when playing centre so pips Daley and Fittler to the halves)
7 Stuart (Johns' origin record which is mostly based on game 2 2005 does not compare to Sticky's 4 series wins out of 5 with 3 motm)

The 90s NSW packs typically made being a Qld fan tough.

8 Lazarus
9 Elias (Sorry Toovey)
10 Roberts
11 Harrogan
12 Pay
13 Clyde

I am well aware I chose Pay ahead of Cement and Sirronen respectively.
I overlooked Roberts, one of my favourites. He'd probably come off my bench for the starting props.

gregstar

Referee
no single blues player made me sh*t my pants in fear as a maroon than michael o'connor.

that guy was the most dangerous player i ever saw play in origin for them.
picking him on the wing was a joke. he was lethal at centre.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
And yet Miles and Meninga did enough to keep Mick losing whereas Daley and Fittler ran rampant to success in their long career time in the centres (or closer to the ruck as well) . As I say, where a tough decision formed - I went with the winners.

Last edited:

Big Pete

Referee
You'd have to find room for Daley, but would he make the side based purely on his performances in the centres?

4-5 record, with the 3 wins coming in the one series ('96).

Last edited:

gregstar

Referee
And yet Miles and Meninga did enough to keep Mick losing whereas Daley and Fittler ran rampant to success in their long career time in the centres (or closer to the ruck as well) . As I say, where a tough decision formed - I went with the winners.
they were not better than o'connor in 85, 86 or 87 at the origin level.

The Friz

Juniors
Michael Ocoonor gets nowhere near the plaudits he deserves. Untouchable at his best. I have an Origin box set and watch old games. He was seriously good.

gregstar

Referee
Michael Ocoonor gets nowhere near the plaudits he deserves. Untouchable at his best. I have an Origin box set and watch old games. He was seriously good.
in 85,6 & 7 he was the best centre in origin by a mile.
at club level he was awesome from the start in '83. in '84 he copped an injury which f*cked the rest of the season but when he was back in '85 he started to gain recognition from selectors.

the worst decision saints made in the entire 80's was letting him go.

the guy was poetry on his feet & had one hell of a sidestep.