What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Names on backs of shirts

langpark

First Grade
It seems a players name on the back of the jersey is something that's only done in Origin now. I seem to remember national teams doing it, but it seems none are doing it now. Anyone know roughly when they stoppe doing this?

I probably dont need to ask why, im assuming its to fit more sponsors on, but let me know if there was any other reason they stopped doing this.

deluded pom?

Coach
Did national teams have players’ names on the back of the shirts? The only way I can remember anything like that was when the whole Kangaroos seventeen were called Australia.

langpark

First Grade
I thought Aus did it regularly in the 90s, but ive just checked some videos from WC 95 and 2000 and it seems they didnt. Perhaps i am losing it.

thorson1987

Coach
Did national teams have players’ names on the back of the shirts? The only way I can remember anything like that was when the whole Kangaroos seventeen were called Australia.

2000 World Cup every side had their name across the back.

nov-2000-shane-webcke-of-australia-fends-off-the-challenges-from-picture-id1080467

_967543_engvaus300.jpg

oct-2000-the-maoris-do-their-haka-infront-of-the-scotland-team-during-picture-id1077746

Australias-Mat-Rogers-lif-006.jpg

images

thorson1987

Coach
I thought Aus did it regularly in the 90s, but ive just checked some videos from WC 95 and 2000 and it seems they didnt. Perhaps i am losing it.

Yeah I don't recall Australia ever having player names on the back of their jerseys.

deluded pom?

Coach
2000 World Cup every side had their name across the back.

nov-2000-shane-webcke-of-australia-fends-off-the-challenges-from-picture-id1080467

_967543_engvaus300.jpg

oct-2000-the-maoris-do-their-haka-infront-of-the-scotland-team-during-picture-id1077746

Australias-Mat-Rogers-lif-006.jpg

images
Yes and it’s bleedin’ awful. I hate it when international teams do it. France have a polo shirt on their website that I wouldn’t mind buying but guess what is has on the back across the shoulders? I know which team it is.

yakstorm

First Grade
You're not losing it LangPark, the Kangaroos at least use to have player names on the back, with exception to World Cups.

This ended early 2000s unfortunately.

langpark

First Grade
^ I think for World Cups it can be done and not break the bank. Since there's 25 in the squad, everyone gets their own shirt at the start and keeps it for all matches. Ok, numbers might not always match positions, but who cares really.

You're not losing it LangPark, the Kangaroos at least use to have player names on the back, with exception to World Cups.

This ended early 2000s unfortunately.
Cheers, yeah for some reason I seem to specifically remember Wendell Sailor playing for Aus, with his name on the back. But have searched the archives and not managed to find any examples.

I agree, it's a shame they stopped. It's a good way to identify some of the lesser known players.

yakstorm

First Grade
There were other games, but at least these highlights from the 1997 Australia v Rest of the World game show the names on players backs: