What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nathan Brown

Do you agree with Warren Ryan's comments about Nathan Brown?

• No, Browny's doing fine

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, we need a decent coach.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Warren Ryan made some interesting comments about the Dragons and their coach, Nathan Brown, this afternoon on ABC Grandstand.

In a nutshell, he believes Brown shouldn't be coaching an NRL side yet, citing that he shouldn't be learning with the team, instead he should be teaching the team. He also said that St.George Illawarra basically have a State of Origin team and should of finished 1st or 2nd this year, instead of always looking for excuses for underperforming.

He made mention to the fact that the club got rid of two decent coaches to end up with a bloke on 'L plates'. Waite and Farrar didn't have the embarrassment of riches this current team has, and no-one can argue with the fact that we under performed all season. He praised Waite (a good friend of his) and I agreed with him.

Ryan pointed to the way the Dragons bunch up and play flat in attack and made the Pathers defence look good.

He said the players may know who they want but they don't know who they need.

I have to agree with it all. Browny shouldn't be coaching an NRL team yet. I think we need someone new from outside both St.George and Illawarra. The only thing this team needs is a coach.

Southernsaint

Staff member
I don't see how you could class Farrar as "decent". He had as strong a squad as Brown does & showed even less aptitude, IMO.

Brown could be a very good NRL coach but I don't think he's up to standard yet - IMO, he's tactically naive & too much "one of the boys" to be a strict enough disciplinarian.

Having said all this, you don't sack a coach without having someone better to replace him. I don't think the English Super League results that Millward has had over the years are a real indicator of what he could offer to Saints in Australia.

Cheers,
Ben S.

PS: Bring back Roy Masters!!

Hollywood

Juniors
Hmmmmm, I don't know whether I personally want to pass judgement on Browny yet, I'm still considering

But I do want to say the following things.........

I just hope people (including our own supporters) don't start ganging up on Browny now just because we have been knocked out, in my mind everyone knew (esp the Adminstration) that it was taking a gamble appointing Browny, and we can't go around now criticising that decision, it was part and parcel of the choice and gamble we took.....no use second guessing that decision now. The guy is doing his best.

In review of 2 seasons under Browny however is what I want to focus on. The side we had this year was the best in the past 4 or so seasons, and last year to a point was a building year (even though we should have finished higher than we did). We are a virtual state of origin side, and probably should be in the top 2 or 3, we under achieved there (as per usual).......I have no doubt if we had a Wayne Bennett or Phil Gould coaching us, we would be challenging for minor premiership. Compare the current Brisbane side to he Dragons side, we deffinately have a better side on paper, yet Brisbane constantly finish above us.

What we are facing is really whether the club administration want Browny to grow with the club in his coaching role, and are willing to accept the possibility of an under-achieving team as the consequence, or whether they decide performance, potential fulfillment and winning is the main priority.

It seems that the admin want both Browny to grow with the side but also expect to win a premiership at the same time. It may not work that way.

I would have expected a finish in the top 6 last season and a top 3 finish this season based on team ability, but it wasn't achieved.

Will the Dragons ever fulfill their potential under Browny?.......under a Bennett or Gould they probably would. I'm inclined to think give Browny another year, review and if we still do not fulfill the potential we show, then it might be best to part ways with him (after all we will have roughly the same side for the next 2 seasons), and give ourselves a chance of winning in 2006 with a top line coach.

I think this is where the admin will base their decision, to stick with him for the long term?, or is winning a premiership a priority?...their answer??, who knows!......but they won't sack Browny based on 2 seasons results.

And I do think the Dragons could head hunt a top line coach, there would be no shortage of coaches wanting a crack at the job, the saints could attract a big name if approached in the right way.

So the jury is out........we all knew it was a gamble, but where are we now after 2 seasons under Browny?..........................I hope guys don't go around baying for his blood, he is doing the job to the best of his ability, put simply though as outlined, it comes down to a choice Doust must make............

Either we are an under performing side under a coaching still finding his way, or Browny is a fine first grade coach, and the team/players are not as good as we all believe?

izzo

Juniors
I dont think anyone can take Warren seriously afteer the 89 grand final

Dragons Cross

Juniors
Brownie should stay, there's not much use in a knee-jerk sacking of the coach or admin because we missed out in the first week of the finals. We finished higher than we ever have as a JV and have improved tremendously on last season, mainly in defence.

It's only Brownie's 2nd season of NRL coaching and he's still young, he'll learn from this season as will the players and come back stronger. Changing your coach every couple of seasons, especially after we finished 5th, is not good business. Whoever we get will take a season or 2 to stamp his mark on the place and we're back where we were last season.

We need consistency and consolidation on whats been, barring the finals, a successful season IMO. Think about the hunger the players will have after this season and also another year's experience for guys like Sims, Poore, Creagh etc. The future is looking good, we wanted it all to come together this season but we now have to wait one more, but it will happen.

drake

First Grade
Browny's lack of professionalism is his downfall. Time to stop going on jaunts on the piss with the boys, get his shaggy arse out of the TAB and start taking the job seriously.
The entire administration of our club needs a good kick in the arse, from the top to the bottom.

St George Illawarra are like the Spanish Football Team, a team of champions, definatley not a champion team.

Greenblooded

Juniors
I really like Browny, but I have to say he's had a fair chance already. How he cannot get your team to the GF is beyond me :|
He should be lining up in the employment queue with Matty Elliott.

izzo

Juniors
drake said:
Browny's lack of professionalism is his downfall. Time to stop going on jaunts on the piss with the boys, get his shaggy arse out of the TAB and start taking the job seriously.
The entire administration of our club needs a good kick in the arse, from the top to the bottom.

St George Illawarra are like the Spanish Football Team, a team of champions, definatley not a champion team.

:lol:

Ribs

Bench
Whats this sh*t?

After we were officially out i was just hoping that nobody would pull out the sack the coach f*cking rubbish but unfortunately it wasnt to be.

If you want to finger point mung nuts then look no further than than our star half of the salary cap hopeless prick Trent Barrett.
he cost us the first game of the year dropping the ball over the line and cost us the semi with a beautifully timed pass to Preston Campbell.

Notice we put on the 2nd biggest comeback in history against Manly with that plank off the field?

Andrew Farrar was an embarressment to this great club and Nathan Brown has cetainly got things going in the right direction.

Penrith were red hot and we were coming off the bye and carrying a plank in a number 6 jumper which screwed us, not the coach.

drake

First Grade
Ribs I'm sick of the lame arsed attitude exuded by the administration of this team, Browny and his buddies in their special shirts. Brown is too close to his former teammates and can't separate himself from them. He needs a couple of years as an apprentice to learn the ropes until his old mates have retired and he can stop pissing up with the boys.

As for Barrett, he's the favoured scapegoat of the army.
"Run straight Barrett!"
Yeah, one of the worlds best 5\8ths act like a forward.

Nugby

Juniors
Not sure I'd agree with either option. I know there's coaches out there better than Browny right now, but I'm still all for keeping him at the club, not "doing fine" or not

Ribs

Bench
??

Let me just remind you of where we stood in the defensive stats Drake. 2nd or maybe 3rd, I cant be bothered checking.

That to me represents a massive change in our on field performances and i think nathan Brown should take plenty of credit for that. Comments like him pissing it up with the boys are way off the mark, they have his respect and that has nothing to do with what happened on Friday night.

Take Barrett out of our team on Friday and I believe we win.

Missed tackles, f*cking disgraceful options in attack and a superb pass to Preston and we were gone.

Im not one that has been on his case at all, but after this year Ive f*cking well had enough. He HAS NOT WON A SINGLE F*CKING GAME FOR US EVER and he has done more than his fair share to lose some.

He is a target for the army for one reason. He is sh*t.

Anonymous

Juniors
lol.. good point eelsta.

I understand the frustration but the fact is, we lost by one point. If Presto hadn't have pulled off that intercept, Saints most likely would have won and the Wok, being the king of hindsight, would have said something else... probably bagging out on the Panthers instead.

Southernsaint

Staff member
drake said:
Ribs I'm sick of the lame arsed attitude exuded by the administration of this team, Browny and his buddies in their special shirts. Brown is too close to his former teammates and can't separate himself from them. He needs a couple of years as an apprentice to learn the ropes until his old mates have retired and he can stop pissing up with the boys.

As for Barrett, he's the favoured scapegoat of the army.
"Run straight Barrett!"
Yeah, one of the worlds best 5\8ths act like a forward.

Yes, he is a scapegoat of The Army, but with good reason.

Trent earns a massive wage & has shown nothing in the past 5 years that suggests he deserves the "one of the world's best 5/8ths" tag he's been given. When he hasn't performed, he's been afforded every excuse under the sun by the media. 2005 is "Put Up Or Shut Up" for The Face.

Cheers,
Ben S.

Ribs

Bench
Agreed. I have been a supporter of his to a degree but Ive run out of excuses and sympathy for the joke after Friday night.

Either start playing football, take a pay cut, or f*ck off.

LocalDarby

Juniors
yeah all season ive been saying to my fellow dragons supporters (not on this forum though) that if browny doesnt take us to the GF this year he should be dumped. im a dragons supporter, i support browny and wish him luck no matter what he does, but the fact of the matter is, he is not a good enough coach yet. he needs a few more years coaching flegg or reserves to build his coaching skills. we had the best team this year, yet nothing came of it. i feel that as a life time supporter of this team, i can say what i think is best for the team, and browny, right now, isnt the best. maybe in a few years, but not now. im also sure we'll have a great team next year, but not quite as good as all the top players we had this year. i'm sure im not the only fan who is frustrated and dissappointed beyond belief with the way we performed this year.

also, sure, we staged the 2nd biggest comeback in premiership history against the eagles but f**k, it shouldnt have got to that stage in the first place. think about it, it was against MANLY. not a good team, but MANLY.

irate is not a strong enough word to describe how i feel about this years season.