What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nathan Cleary Contract extension.

maple_69

Bench
I'm normally wary of long term deals. Not a fan of the Whare deal as a great example even though I rate him highly and think he'll get back to his best and be a great player for this club.

If there is anyone in this league you take a punt on though it's Cleary and maybe Taylor as well and he's likely to get a mill. He is durable as hell, has an outstanding attitude and has the brain/instincts to ensure he won't become a flash in the pan. Lock him in.

For Cleary, as others have said, he still has maybe a decade after this contract to make big big bucks and in the meantime he can play in the most promising squad in the league with the chance to win premierships and play origins. There's every chance he comes out of this deal as the best player in the world and commands 2 mill.

I dunno how this salary cap thing will shake out for us but the fact that we are so far ahead of the roster management game that our squad for the upcoming year is locked in come June 30 and we are working on 2 years down the track is so damn exciting. Only piece of the puzzle I'm not sold on is the coach.

OldPanther

Coach
Brandy's opinion if anyone rates what he has to say:

https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/ap...s/news-story/cc16a6df64444e489c62b0594e0f8395

Declaring to The Daily Telegraph that Cleary could be the “Johnathan Thurston of Penrith”, Panthers Group chief executive Brian Fletcher revealed he’s started talks with the 19-year-old’s management to add a further five years to his current deal, which isn’t due to expire until the end of 2019.

At $3 million over five years, the proposed contract is lucrative, although it would still be viewed as a bargain by many clubs who are eyeing up a No.7 with the potential to be the NRL’s next great playmaker.

It’s a stunning thought after just 34 first grade games, but such has been his impact Cleary already looks a bankable long-term halfback at a time when elite playmakers are worth their weight in gold.

Cleary would be aware of the hype but you wouldn’t know it given his humble, calm and mature demeanour.
That’s no front according to Penrith great Greg Alexander, who not only sits on the Panthers board but has also become involved as a halves coach for the club, with a focus on kicking games.

“What you’d see of Nathan Cleary and how you’d think Nathan Cleary would be as a player and a person is exactly that,” Alexander told foxsports.com.au.

“What you see on the field is what he’s like on the training field. Very diligent, very composed for a 19-year-old, very mature for a 19-year-old.

“He thinks hard about the game, he’s very conscious of trying to perfect parts of his game that he needs to work on.”

And then there’s that remarkable torpedo bomb.
Alexander won’t take credit for Cleary’s trademark and one of the most potent kicking weapons in the competition, deferring to the young gun’s prodigious talent.

The premiership halfback has been blown away by the skills possessed by the latest player to wear the No.7 jersey he made famous but it’s between the ears where Cleary has impressed most.

“That’s what Nathan’s good at, at not panicking in a situation of pressure,” Alexander said.

“He can change his mind if he needs to and that gets better when you become more experienced and you play more football — but he’s very talented.

“Whatever he thinks about and whatever kick that he thinks might be required for the weekend, it doesn’t take him long to perfect it.
“There’s some players in the comp who can do the odd sort of floating bomb, but he’s been able to perfect it really. That’s just another weapon Nathan’s got.”

Another aspect of Cleary’s game that has impressed is his decision making — it has repeatedly been said that he doesn’t pass pressure on to his teammates. If a tough run is needed to steady the set, he’ll take it.

That’s a component of a halfback’s game that doesn’t often appear in the early stages of their first grade career and it played an important role in Penrith’s late charge up the ladder and into the finals last season.

For that same reason, the Panthers were listed among the premiership favourites to start this season and Alexander says that expectation grew into complacency among the players.

“I just don’t think they were ready for the start of the season,” Alexander said.

“They worked hard in the offseason but there was always that thought that we could win a comp this year and I think they might have gone into this season not prepared to do what they needed to do to win football games.

“It’s a cliche but one week at a time, let’s not think about what might happen in September in February.

“I think they probably got ahead of themselves a little bit but I don’t think anyone in the club had any doubt that they would find their way at some stage. We’re just hoping now that they’ve found their way and it’s not too late.”
With Cleary in form and Matt Moylan’s switch into the halves starting to take shape the Panthers are now looking specials to not only make the eight but make it with a bullet.

Even if they only manage to climb as high as seventh or eighth on the ladder, Alexander says it’s not beyond the side to carry their momentum all the way to the first Sunday in October.

“It would be a huge thing for them to win the title from seventh or eighth,” Alexander said.

“But if they keep all their players on the field, it’s not impossible and I think at the moment Melbourne are standouts and there’s a battle for who meets Melbourne in the grand final.

“With five weeks to go that seems the most likely scenario. You get in the eight and I think any one of those other seven teams could do the job on their day.”

Tronald Crump

Juniors
I have no problem with the club extending his contract before it ends. It stops the stupid clubs throwing buckets of cash at him. If its a 5 year extension then I expect 18 months before that deal ends (if Gould is still here) he will probably get another extension with a healthy upgrade for the remaining years to keep him happy.

OldPanther

Coach
Yeah it's pretty much locking him up so someone desperate doesn't come along offering 1.5 million to take him away.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Yeah it's pretty much locking him up so someone desperate doesn't come along offering 1.5 million to take him away.

Yeah, it's obvious why the club would do it - it would be stupid not to try. But from Cleary's point of view, I don't see the upside for him.

betcats

Referee
Yeah, it's obvious why the club would do it - it would be stupid not to try. But from Cleary's point of view, I don't see the upside for him.

Security and peace of mind. There isn't really any other up side for the kid besides that. He can sign the deal and not have to worry about negotiating etc for a few years at least and he knows he should be in a competitive side for that time.

Financially its in his best interest to test the market for sure, but that might not be his biggest concern at this stage.

OldPanther

Coach

Earning triple the average income in his early 20s. Play with his mates. Develop his game in a strong up and coming team under the tutelage of a premiership winning halfback who was top 2 in his day. He will play origin which will bump his pay and Gus will get him sweet TPAs. His next contract will be worth a lot more when he hits his peak years after 25.

Tronald Crump

Juniors
Earning triple the average income in his early 20s. Play with his mates. Develop his game in a strong up and coming team under the tutelage of a premiership winning halfback who was top 2 in his day. He will play origin which will bump his pay and Gus will get him sweet TPAs. His next contract will be worth a lot more when he hits his peak years after 25.

Bingo.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade

His next contract for 2020 will also be worth a lot more as well. Plus he can still do all those things without signing an extension now.

Pomoz

Bench
His next contract for 2020 will also be worth a lot more as well. Plus he can still do all those things without signing an extension now.
Nah, why waste two years of higher earnings and hope you get a bonanza in three years time? anything could happen in the next three years. Why not take some money now, include cap increase clauses and then settle down and focus on your football?

chrisD

Coach
Three million over five years is too low to even start with. His manager shouldn't return the call.

OldPanther

Coach
There would be bonuses built into that, rep football incentives and adjustments should the salary cap move.

Undeed. Gus isn't known for his excellent commentary but he knows football and seems to be good at signing players.

Blues Riff

Bench
Probably the best football show atm
Yeah I caught the show in the early hours. Nathan handled himself well, like he handles most new challenges. f**k the kid's got some patience, the way he's had to answer the same questions all week.
You're right though . It's not a bad show. The girls seem genuinely interested in a guest's answers, rather than just trying to dig up a headline.

...and OP, don't get me started on Paul Kent.