What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nathan Cleary

Mario chalmers

Juniors
is under contract at Penrith however, his dad is up shit creek right now. If your dad was coach at Wests Tigers and you could seek a release from your contract to help him then you would.

Its not unreasonable to assume that Ivan had similar ideas re Nathan because as soon as Brooks signed he pulled the Moses deal as a result. He must have had another option for the halves if he was happy enough to pull the moses offer?

If there is no release for Nathan Cleary then Jarome Luai/Tyrone May are also stars of the future and Gus can't keep all of them.

These youngsters are better options than NRL-level rejects IMO

Vic Mackey

Referee
I know it's not cool to say it about any panthers player, but I find Nathan a tad over rated. He has the makings of a fantastic top line representative half however the way he is talked about it's like he is knocking on the nsw halfback door. He is a great controlling halfback with an astute kicking game. I rarely see him set another player up and he halts the attack a lot. He's running game is ok, but nothing amazing ATM.

For his age he is bloody impressive, but I think he would be a horrible signing for us right now. Let Penrith blood him for another 2 years, then when he is more hardened and we have built a stronger side around brooks he can come along for the ride.

simmo1

First Grade
Most of the Panthers players in general are overrated. Look like world beaters against shit teams, but never come close to anyone decent.

Last thing we need to do right now is sign another young player in a key position on potential.

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee
Most of the Panthers players in general overrated. Look like world beaters against shit teams, but never come close to anyone decent.

Last thing we need to do right now is sign another young player in a key position on potential.

Yep, the Shaun Marsh's of the NRL

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
is under contract at Penrith however, his dad is up shit creek right now. If your dad was coach at Wests Tigers and you could seek a release from your contract to help him then you would.

Its not unreasonable to assume that Ivan had similar ideas re Nathan because as soon as Brooks signed he pulled the Moses deal as a result. He must have had another option for the halves if he was happy enough to pull the moses offer?

If there is no release for Nathan Cleary then Jarome Luai/Tyrone May are also stars of the future and Gus can't keep all of them.

These youngsters are better options than NRL-level rejects IMO
I'd prefer Hingano before Luai and May.

Shredder

Juniors
Cleary wont break a contract to come here and most likely wont leave Penrith regardless.

If you listen to the way Ivan has spoken about loyalty in the last couple of weeks and his expectations of the movers on, there is no way on earth he would be asking his son to do the same thing.

Tiger05

First Grade
I don't think I'd want him here if Ivan was the coach. I can just see it failing for that reason. Can you imagine if his form is down and he needs to be dropped or something like that.

I do like him as a player but he isn't Thurston.

Mario chalmers

Juniors
You guys must be a chance now, not because of Ivan but He'd rather play for anyone other than Griffin.
That was an example of terrible coaching from Griffin yesterday. Ball going to the left on every player and players instructed to die with it on the last instead of a kick? Cleary still played well I thought

Mario chalmers

Juniors
I don't think I'd want him here if Ivan was the coach. I can just see it failing for that reason. Can you imagine if his form is down and he needs to be dropped or something like that.

I do like him as a player but he isn't Thurston.
Point taken. He'd be guaranteed a spot in the halves if his old man is the coach and that is dangerous for a player who's only played 15 odd first grade games. Still I reckon he's showed enough in those performances to suggest he'll be playing NRL for the next 10+ years.

I realise he's no Thurston but there's no players of that standard on the 2018 market. Journos are saying WT are all in on Josh Reynolds but the player has stated he has no desire to leave Canterbury. Des would be more likely to dump Mbye than punt Reynolds IMO.

The discussion should be about "who is the best half of those that may be on the market?" Right now no names stand out to me and that prompted my original post about Nathan Cleary. I accept he is under contract and that Penrith would not rush to release him but my view is that the Tigers should still make the enquiry.

Shredder

Juniors
Mate, we should be calling every club in the NRL and in the superleague.

Im concerned now - I reckon we are in a bit of trouble.

How a club has a $3mln war chest and can only convince McQueen to come over is beyond me.

Tiger Ted

Bench

How a club has a $3mln war chest and can only convince McQueen to come over is beyond me.
We r in this predicament coz our spineless & moronic board & CEO didn't have the gumption to impose much earlier deadlines on the contracts of the mediocre 4.This gave the grub Isaac enormous clout in negotiating with us & put us behind re assembling a formidable roster for next yr & beyond .

Mario chalmers

Juniors

Huge trouble you're right. Shit clubs don't tend to attract good players. That is why other sports have a draft.

I think Ivan would go to bed at night knowing we are in deep shit right now and my take is the solution to this horrible problem is sitting across from him at the dinner table.

A halves combo of Cleary and Brooks would be a good selling point to other players.

Mario chalmers

Juniors
We r in this predicament coz our spineless & moronic board & CEO didn't have the gumption to impose much earlier deadlines on the contracts of the mediocre 4.This gave the grub Isaac enormous clout in negotiating with us & put us behind re assembling a formidable roster for next yr & beyond .
I agree but I am starting to think they would have left anyway. It is very hard to negotiate with the one manager. The fact all the players move to the Moses camp screwed the Tigers big time. Teddy was with Ayoub before from memory

Tiger05

First Grade

This is what I think we need to do. Just start looking for decent players. McQueen to me isn't the solution at all.