What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nathan Cleary

TheFrog

Coach
Whilst probably true it isn't exactly an achievement since Penriths long term plan hasn't exactly worked
Win percentage since 1967: 43.9% (including finals, draw taken as half a win)
Win percentage since 2012 (Gould's first full year): 45.1%
Win percentage last 4 seasons: 47.6%
Win percentage over 2016-7 (ie under Griffin): 55.6%

If there is a long term plan to improve on-field performance, I'd have thought these would be exactly the figures you'd be looking for.

Clifferd

Coach
Win percentage since 1967: 43.9% (including finals, draw taken as half a win)
Win percentage last 4 seasons: 47.6%
Win percentage over 2016-7: 55.6%

If there is a long term plan to improve on-field performance, I'd have thought these would be exactly the figures you'd be looking for.

All well and good but finishing 6th last year and again 6-8th this year isn't exactly an achievement unless you're actually doing damage in the finals. Stagment at best

That's like consistently getting bronze in your event at the Olympics and being satisfied

Shredder

Juniors
This is why its tough to set KPIs on a footy team. Its so subjective.
And regardless if how much improvement our team makes, our position on the ladder is also determined by the other teams.
Historically winning 50% of your games gets you at least close to the finals.

What I want to see next year is more heart and winning more of the games with a less than 6 pt margin. If we win 50% of our games determined by a try or less and dont get blown out, we will win more than half of our games, which should see us finals bound.

But how do you put this in a KPI contract?

Regardless, thats what I would consider first year success for Ivan.

TheFrog

Coach
Not so sure its about winning premierships although obviously that is very nice. There are 16 teams and some of them have massive advantages over our sides, so while we jag one occasionally, it kinda comes against the run of play, if you get my meaning.

The idea is to make the finals more often than not, in my view, which has never happened in this club's history apart from a brief period leading to 1991. This is what will build supporter numbers which is what it is really all about. Winning comps will too, but its easier to come 6th year in and year out than it is to come 1st.

BuffaloRules

Coach
All well and good but finishing 6th last year and again 6-8th this year isn't exactly an achievement unless you're actually doing damage in the finals. Stagment at best

That's like consistently getting bronze in your event at the Olympics and being satisfied

What do you call not making the Top 8 15 out of the last 18 seasons?

Bronze at the Olympics is better than Jack, and as others have said it's much easier going from 6th to 1st than 15th to 1st...

Clifferd

Coach
This is why its tough to set KPIs on a footy team. Its so subjective.
And regardless if how much improvement our team makes, our position on the ladder is also determined by the other teams.
Historically winning 50% of your games gets you at least close to the finals.

What I want to see next year is more heart and winning more of the games with a less than 6 pt margin. If we win 50% of our games determined by a try or less and dont get blown out, we will win more than half of our games, which should see us finals bound.

But how do you put this in a KPI contract?

Regardless, thats what I would consider first year success for Ivan.

Ah the life of a footy coach. This year is excused by Ivan but if I can shout out one positive I actually think he's changed the attitude around and got players actually busting their nut. Small 1% plays like kick chase and scramble d I'm seeing more regularly which we never saw under JT

I wanna make top 8 the standard next year but we've been through that many coaches if we miss the 8 again and sack him we're just going back to square one again.

I reckon we need to see consistent determined efforts and no blow outs apart from maybe the odd 1 or 2 generally which every single team has throughout the year

BuffaloRules

Coach
Ivan is signed til the end of 2020 aswell so if the Brooks experiment fails in 2019 he has 1 last chance with someone else.

Contracts mean nothing with coaches...

Doubt Cleary survives to 2020 if the Tigers are bottomfeeders again in 2018 and 2019 and nor would he deserve too..

Ivan is a good defensive coach and will get the team putting in. His weakness is average attack and injury management.

Clifferd

Coach
What do you call not making the Top 8 15 out of the last 18 seasons?

Bronze at the Olympics is better than Jack, and as others have said it's much easier going from 6th to 1st than 15th to 1st...

Yeah that was a terrible analogy hahah. i guess consistent final berths is the main aim but I really thought pennies would be pushing for top 4 easily by now

Clifferd

Coach
Ivan is a good defensive coach and will get the team putting in. His weakness is average attack and injury management.

I'm seeing the resemblance. I know it's only this year but I feel like our attacks gone backwards under Ivan whilst our D has improved a bit

I'm all for being a strong defensive unit after seeing years of failure trying to throw the ball around combined with paper thin defense lol

Tiger05

First Grade
I think our attack has improved a fair bit compared to Taylor but Taylor is up there with the worst coaches in history.

Can you remember his needing to learn how to win games when we just had a mid field bomb after 5 one out hit-ups. The one way to lose games is to shut up shop and go into your shell. Taylor had us doing that for the whole game as part of his master plan.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Defence has been a monumentally chronic issue at this club that no coach has been able to rectify.Top 8 beckons if Ivan fixes this critical issue.

Additionally if he can impart the significance of a quality kicking game to Brooks & turn Brooks into an effective organiser then we can start talking not just top 8 but top 4.

Blues Riff

Bench
I thought Penrith's long term plan was to develop talent sustainably and be competitive.
Anyway, on Nathan, If he decides to move on, there'll be plenty of clubs chasing him. But yeah I guess, What kid doesn't dream of going to work for the old man lol.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I thought Penrith's long term plan was to develop talent sustainably and be competitive.
Anyway, on Nathan, If he decides to move on, there'll be plenty of clubs chasing him. But yeah I guess, What kid doesn't dream of going to work for the old man lol.

Everyone's different. As a panthers fan I thought you'd remember a certain father/son coach/player scenario who worked together to win a comp.

The whole basis of this thread was after reading Nathan's comments on his dad in the DT yesterday. If you don't think he likes the idea of it you read it differently to me.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Wonder what Nathan will be worth come 2020?

He is still only 19 so he is going to improve plenty in the next two seasons..

Great goal kicker as well..

He is a definite rare talent so will probably go to the Roosters or Brisbane..

Wonder what Nathan will be worth come 2020?

He is still only 19 so he is going to improve plenty in the next two seasons..

Great goal kicker as well..

He is a definite rare talent so will probably go to the Roosters or Brisbane..
Surely Gus has told him he'll be well looked after with under the table payments

Blues Riff

Bench
Everyone's different. As a panthers fan I thought you'd remember a certain father/son coach/player scenario who worked together to win a comp.

The whole basis of this thread was after reading Nathan's comments on his dad in the DT yesterday. If you don't think he likes the idea of it you read it differently to me.
Yeah, love the Langs.
I've said this before about NC though, he's his (his he's) own man. The first time he extended his contract was a matter of weeks after Dad got the arse. The next time he had the Ivan/get out clause removed.

These Pepper money ads are pretty funny, I thought. He seems comfortable for now.