What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

National Reserve Grade Comp V National Youth U20’s

APRIL BELLE

Juniors
A NSW/ Qld Cup combined competition won’t attract ratings or sponsorship.

I can empathise with the QRL clubs but the impact of the Toyota Cup has on the Q CUP and concur that that competition’s standard of footy is significantly better.

However the Toyota Cup - NYC U20’s exists because of the sponsorship. The sponsorship is lured and motivated by public appeal namely TV ratings. The reality is the Q Cup or even a NSW/Qld combined cup won’t draw the same appeal and therefore won’t draw sponsorship.

With some exceptions, in the times that we now live, people won’t support and watch sport that isn’t at the highest level. The National Soccer league struggles to attract interest yet the World Cup draws so much interest. Similarly the ARU’s national competition failed after 2 years.

The exceptions that do attract people to watch inferior standard sport is when the sport or the competition is aged or sex restricted.

For example people will watch world class women’s tennis even though it is way inferior to the standard of world class men’s tennis. If you put on a regional country satellite men’s tennis tournament on television which would played by men of the same standard to World class women players, no one would watch it and it won’t attract that same level of sponsorship. Even though the standard is the same.

It is the same for the Toyota Cup. People know the standard isn’t high, but they realise this is because it is played by kids and they accept that because of that fact.

Only mad keen rugby league people like me would watch a National Reserve Grade competition and not the numbers that would be required to make it financially sustainable. And it is ratings that talk Money. And without sponsorship funding which clubs could afford the expenses to play in a National competition.

bender

Juniors
A NSW/ Qld Cup combined competition won’t attract ratings or sponsorship.

I can empathise with the QRL clubs but the impact of the Toyota Cup has on the Q CUP and concur that that competition’s standard of footy is significantly better.

However the Toyota Cup - NYC U20’s exists because of the sponsorship. The sponsorship is lured and motivated by public appeal namely TV ratings. The reality is the Q Cup or even a NSW/Qld combined cup won’t draw the same appeal and therefore won’t draw sponsorship.

With some exceptions, in the times that we now live, people won’t support and watch sport that isn’t at the highest level. The National Soccer league struggles to attract interest yet the World Cup draws so much interest. Similarly the ARU’s national competition failed after 2 years.

The exceptions that do attract people to watch inferior standard sport is when the sport or the competition is aged or sex restricted.

For example people will watch world class women’s tennis even though it is way inferior to the standard of world class men’s tennis. If you put on a regional country satellite men’s tennis tournament on television which would played by men of the same standard to World class women players, no one would watch it and it won’t attract that same level of sponsorship. Even though the standard is the same.

It is the same for the Toyota Cup. People know the standard isn’t high, but they realise this is because it is played by kids and they accept that because of that fact.

Only mad keen rugby league people like me would watch a National Reserve Grade competition and not the numbers that would be required to make it financially sustainable. And it is ratings that talk Money. And without sponsorship funding which clubs could afford the expenses to play in a National competition.
Doesnt the Qld Cup game that is televised already get better ratings than the NYC?

TiggaPlease

Does anyone actually watch the NYC though?

Would people be more likely to turn up early for the reserves or the NYC?

I'd be more likely to turn up early for the reserves (that being said I usually get to the ground for at least the 2nd half of the 20s)

typicalfan

Coach
The Toyota Cup may only be a kids comp but its a competition involving some of the best talent in the country and the "next generation". Some fans like to see who they have coming through the ranks which is why the concept is good. The U20's needs to be alongside a National Reserve Comp so excess players and players not ready for first grade can gain experience against the best open age players.

It isn't just about ratings and sponsorship it is also about setting the foundation for our future stars to make sure they are as good as possible and hit the ground running.

rwaite

Juniors
The Toyota Cup may only be a kids comp but its a competition involving some of the best talent in the country and the "next generation". Some fans like to see who they have coming through the ranks which is why the concept is good. The U20's needs to be alongside a National Reserve Comp so excess players and players not ready for first grade can gain experience against the best open age players.

It isn't just about ratings and sponsorship it is also about setting the foundation for our future stars to make sure they are as good as possible and hit the ground running.

Neither the Toyota Cup nor a proposed national reserve grade are good options.

Done properly the statewide comps are far better. Qld Cup with its televised game each week by ABC is much better and, it and the NSW Cup, can adequately fill the need as a "reserve grade" given the chance and support they deserve.

The ARU's national comp failed because they created new clubs and didn't take advantage of existing clubs with strong fan bases.

There are still very strong fan bases for many teams in the statewide comps like Wynnum and Redcliffe and the Sydney clubs like Newtown and pre-merge clubs like Balmain, Wests, Norths and Manly. These followings are very strong despite not being independent teams in the NRL and this is what will make it as a success if they use the state comps as the reserve grade.

Talanexor

Juniors
Need both - state cup teams are not the answer.

Kids go from playing in big stadia in from of massive crowds for u20s - and then, once they turn 21, they are playing park footy in front of 1000 people in the back end of nowhere.

And as for the argument about the strong support bases of QLD/NSW Cup sides - is there anybody out there who exclusively follows a feeder team and not an NRL team as well?

If each club had first grade, open age reserve grade and u20's, you would see much bigger crowds - three games for one ticket is great value.

typicalfan

Coach
Exactly, before the NYC the NSW Premier League served the purpose of an open age reserve grade and the NSW Cup and QLD Cup can still run independently of this. The NYC should feed into a "NRC" where all players are contracted with NRL clubs and the standard of play will be higher.

This will give us 4 tiers NRL, "NRC", NYC, State Cups and then metro cups etc etc.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
And as for the argument about the strong support bases of QLD/NSW Cup sides - is there anybody out there who exclusively follows a feeder team and not an NRL team as well?

Stacks of people, myself included. We have grown up following particular clubs - Wynnum in my case - and gone to most games in our life. Why the bloody hell would we start following a new club just because it is invented and put in a competition based 1000 km away ?

There would be plenty of people in this boat who follow Wynnum, Redcliffe or a number of the other clubs with great history.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
I think they should look into a conference style competition, retain all the QLD Cup and NSW Cup teams and have them play each other with the best 4 in each comp playing in a top 8 or have a QLD final and a NSW final and have the winners play off for the title.

hattori hanzo

Juniors
I think they should look into a conference style competition, retain all the QLD Cup and NSW Cup teams and have them play each other with the best 4 in each comp playing in a top 8 or have a QLD final and a NSW final and have the winners play off for the title.

I'd love to see this on NRL GF day. They could have the NSWRL GF earlier in the year and then have a playoff between the two comps on NRL GF day as a warm up match to the main event

flippikat

Bench
I'd love to see this on NRL GF day. They could have the NSWRL GF earlier in the year and then have a playoff between the two comps on NRL GF day as a warm up match to the main event

A state-league "superbowl" like this is such a good idea, I'm surprised it hasn't happened already.

Or maybe I should be surprised if the administrators get around to doing it, because they don't seem to be good at giving competitions a sense of direction.

XXXX Cap

Juniors

Winning the Queensland Cup is the ultimate accolade for the participating clubs.

Why the hell should they then be reduced to playing in a "warm-up match" ?

Play it as a feature at an appropriate ground in Queensland if it can't be managed down there. Stop the degredation of all competitions that aren't NRL.

hattori hanzo

Juniors
Winning the Queensland Cup is the ultimate accolade for the participating clubs.

Why the hell should they then be reduced to playing in a "warm-up match" ?

Play it as a feature at an appropriate ground in Queensland if it can't be managed down there. Stop the degredation of all competitions that aren't NRL.

I don't see how this would be degrading, it would be no different to the World club challange IMO. And whats degrading about playing in front of a 70 000+ crowd even as a curtain raiser. Is it the idea or my poor choice of words you have a problem with??

XXXX Cap

Juniors
And with buggar all of the 70000 showing the slightest bit of interest.

How do you expect Northern Pride supporters to be there ?

hattori hanzo

Juniors
The same way we expect Northern pride fans to be in Brisbane to support their team at Suncorp.
As for the crowd giving a $hit, Why won't they? The vast majority will probably be going for the NSWRL team no doubt but whats wrong with that?
It is also another Qcup game that gets televised to a huge national audience which may help attract more sponsors and fans from a wider audience . I see nothing but positives in doing it

Last edited:

hellteam

First Grade
I'm down for it. They actually do it in rugby (surprisingly). The premiers from the Brisbane comp and the Sydney comp play each other before a Super 14 match, which is midyear, but same kind of concept.

It's not like it would take anything away from the achievement of winning the Qld/NSW Cups.

meltiger

First Grade
Have long argued for that idea.

We have the NRL GF, the National Juniors final.... & the NSWRL final

At the least, it should be a playoff between the two premiers from NSW & QLD

As for people not giving a sh*t, what if the Broncos play the Gold Coast one year in the NRL final, do you think they would be more interested in such a game like this or the NSWRL final?

Latest posts