What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

National Under-20s Signings for 2008

APRIL BELLE

Juniors
girvie said:
He would be 14 maybe he has turned 15 this year.

He played lock for the Illawarra Harold Matthews team this year and would be young enough to play Harold Matthews next year.

It's interesting to see the Broncos have signed him at such a young age.

Broncos have signed players from the age of 12. If you haven't been signed by the Broncos at 15 you have misse the boat

APRIL BELLE

Juniors
girvie said:
Apparently Manly have signed Kenny Edwards who is in the Australian Schoolboys squad this year and goes to Kebra Park.

They have & he is not likely to stay there if he doesn't change his attitude

APRIL BELLE

Juniors
bunnies said:
Souths have signed Junior Vai Vai from Brisbane East for the Under 20's coomp for next season.

he was signed by them a year ago but I noticed on the Rabbitohs website he is not listed in their NYC lineup ?????

APRIL BELLE

Juniors
girvie said:
THE Melbourne Storm have continued to show their faith in North Queensland's next rugby league prodigy.

Teenage sensation Justin O'Neill, who has been touted as the next Greg Inglis, recently agreed to terms with Melbourne for another two years. The 16-year-old has come a long way since he first strapped on his football boots as an under-10 in Hughenden and he is now earmarked to play first grade by 2009.

Melbourne Storm general manager of recruitment Peter O'Sullivan said O'Neill was set to play an integral role in the club's future plans. "At 16, mate, he is a wonderful athlete and he is very, very gifted," he said. "Athletically he is certainly as good as every single one of those players (Inglis and Israel Folau) and probably quicker in some regards than Inglis."

The Cathedral School student was discovered by North Queensland Cowboys recruitment officer Clint Zammit, who was working for the Melbourne Storm at the time. "He has progressed well since he was discovered but he has still got a long way to go because he'll have to mature, toughen up and hone his skills," O'Sullivan said. "Once he gets to Melbourne I'm sure he will be able to do all that. He has got NRL written all over him so if he does the hard work he will play in the competition for sure."

Despite already training with the Storm squad, O'Neill said he was level-headed about taking on the sport as a profession. "I haven't thought that far ahead ... I'll just try my best at the under-20s and see how far I get," O'Neill said. "I'm going to miss Townsville and home out west. But I've been to two Melbourne training camps so far and I have seen what it's like. "There is a lot to do to keep yourself occupied and all the other boys and coaches help you fit in."

Proud parents Nicole and Sean have supported their talented son through every milestone and in the end left the final decision up to Justin. "We've talked it through and he knows how tough it is going to be," Sean said. "He wasn't that keen to move away to a big city at first but he can see the benefits and now he is ready to take up the opportunity."

Justin O'Neill is finishing school in Townsville next year. He will not be moving to Melbourne until 2009. He is only born in 1991.

Wicks

Juniors
APRIL BELLE said:
Broncos have signed players from the age of 12. If you haven't been signed by the Broncos at 15 you have misse the boat

They signed a 12 year old from the Illawarra this year.

girvie

Staff member
Souths have signed Chris Sandow from the Titans.

A very good signing there.

Smiley

Bench
girvie said:
Souths have signed Chris Sandow from the Titans.

A very good signing there.

Top signing, surprised Titans let him go when there looking for a partner in halves for Prince.

APRIL BELLE

Juniors
He's worth a try. Too small for half back. Better at fullback. Will only have 1 year in NYC because he is 20 next year.

girvie

Staff member
This is surprising news because everyone believed James Woolford had signed with the Dragons.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,22986560-23214,00.html

'Bacteria' to thrive in Storm

December 30, 2007 NRL premiers Melbourne have completed a major signing coup by poaching promising Canberra junior James Woolford, the nephew of former Raiders captain Simon Woolford.

Tagged with the unfortunate nickname 'Bacteria' to compliment his uncle's moniker of 'Germ', Woolford junior's first choice was to remain with the Raiders.

The blue-blood pedigree hooker, 17, will complete his Year 12 studies in Melbourne after signing a three-year contract with the Storm.

The Raiders' SG Ball and NSW under 17s hooker last season, Woolford has been snapped up by the Storm to ply his trade in the new national under-20s competition as the understudy to Kangaroos hooker Cameron Smith.

"To be honest, he wanted to stay in Canberra because he's only young and he was a little bit sceptical about moving so far away," Woolford Sr said.

"At the end of the day the Raiders probably expected him to stay, but then other clubs came out and showed more interest in him so the decision was basically made for him.

"I know he was a little bit disappointed in the level of interest Canberra showed in him as opposed to the Storm and the Dragons.

"But it's good that it's worked out the way it has. I don't want to talk him up too much but he has got a fair bit of ability and I know he's certainly got the attitude to be successful.

"He could do a lot worse than going to the Storm for the next three years, where he'll be coached by Craig Bellamy and have Cameron Smith teaching him all the tricks of the trade."

A Young junior who is the son of Simon's brother Stephen, Woolford's new teammates were quick to tag him "Bacteria".

It was Bellamy who first came up with "Germ" when he coached Woolford Sr in the Canberra juniors in the early 1990s.

"The boys have given me Germ, Virus and Bacteria, I didn't really get a choice in the matter," James Woolford said.

"To be honest, Simon and I are very similar. I've learned plenty of stuff from him and he's always only too happy to give out a few pointers.

"Melbourne was actually my last preference, I really wanted to stay in Canberra because it was close to home.

"But then the Melbourne offer was much better and the more I thought about it, the opportunity really appealed."

Bellamy described the family similarities as uncanny.

"James has certainly got Simon's confidence but he hasn't quite got his brashness, which is a nice change."

Canberra general manager Don Furner said while the Raiders were interested in keeping Woolford the Storm offer was simply too lucrative.

"He's a good kid but we just can't go paying that sort of money," Furner said.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,22977761-23214,00.html
Hall to be a Rooster

By Robert Craddock
December 28, 2007 THE Sydney Roosters have outbid the Broncos to sign Ipswich Grammar School first XV captain Lachlan Hall.

Hall, a halfback, resisted an approach from the Broncos to join the Roosters on a one-year deal.

He has already spent five weeks in Sydney and will return after Christmas.

"I have only signed for one year because I wanted to see whether I liked it down there," Hall said.

"I also felt like a bit of a change. The Broncos have said they could be interested in me if I come back.

"So far I have enjoyed it. They are a professional club yet quite relaxed and Brad Fittler is a good coach."

Hall said he had taken a particular liking to Mitchell Pearce, son of former international Wayne.

"Even though we play in the same position, I get along really well with him," he said.

The 17-year-old is hopeful of appearing for the Roosters' under-20 side next season.

Hall relaxed Thursday by playing for the Radford Invitational XI in the Queensland Country week cricket carnival at Marchant Park in Brisbane.

Hall represented Queensland Schoolboys at rugby union but has no great urge to try to follow in the footsteps of another IGS graduate and personal hero, World Cup back Berrick Barnes.

"I just felt it was time to go back to league. I had played a lot of league when I was growing up," he said.

Ipswich Grammar School has a distinguished history of producing quality footballers, including the Walters family.

Noa

First Grade
roopy said:
Knights training squad from today's Newcastle Herald.

George Morseau - second row - stepping up from Ball - big kid from the torres straight.

Storm have signed his younger brother Maipele. 16 years old, lightning quick halfback.

APRIL BELLE

Juniors
Marius said:
Have any of the SG Ball Squads been picked for 2008? if so who and where are they listed.

MANLY'S SG Ball Train On Squad
Player2007 TeamSione Ala07 Manly Matthews / AsquithJason Annear07 Manly Matthews / Central CoastBrad Bennett07 Manly Ball / Central CoastNathan Burgio07 Nth Curl CurlJames Cunningham07 Manly Ball / AvalonWilliam Dunn07 Manly u/17 Dev Squad / AvalonDavid Drotini07 BrisbaneCameron Dyer07 Manly Ball / BelrosePeter Gallen07 Manly u/17 Dev Squad / Pennant HillsLuke Haddrick07 Manly Matthews / CromerJamie Horton07 Manly u/17 Dev Squad / RUDavid Hatzimarkos07 Balmain SG BallMitchell Jowett07 Manly Ball / BelroseMatt Lyons07 Manly Christian BrothersBrendan Lahoud07 Manly Matthews / BelroseBrad Meaney07 Manly u/17 Dev Squad / HarbordJake Morris07 Manly Ball / Central CoastDean Mcglinchey07 Manly u/17 Dev Squad / AvalonLuke Preston07 Manly u/17 Dev Squad / BelroseMalcolm Parry07 Manly Matthews / Central CoastMitchell Porter07 Warialda / AISRobert Puliuvea07 St Joeys RUDavid Sheehan07 Manly Ball / Nth Syd BrothersBen Porter07 St Aloyius RUDylan Smith07 Manly Ball / Central CoastJake Shearer07 Central CoastChris Stolk07 Emerald QldLama Tasi07 Ipswich GrammarDavid Thomas07 Manly Ball Anthony Takchi07 Hills HawksJack Webster07 Manly Matthews / Avalon

Mad Goanna

Juniors
2008 Roosters Gains and Losses
Gains:
Ben Cronin(five-eighth/half) – Wynnum Manly QLD Cup
Mose Maseo(Junior Kiwis prop) - Wellington
Nick Reid(five-eighth) – North Coast NSW
Nathan Cantor(wing/centre) – Aberdeen, Hunter Valley

Losses:
Jarryd Hogan (Sharks NYC)
AJ Taumata (released)
Luke Letele (Sharks NYC)
Pierce Sapsford (Randwick Rugby Union)
Nim Ngata (boxing)
Brett Lane (Tigers NYC)
Brad Baldry (released)
Sam McCartney (released)
Codie Medway (Norths Rugby Union)

Stalefish

Juniors
Losses:
Jarryd Hogan (Sharks NYC)
AJ Taumata (released)
Luke Letele (Sharks NYC)
Pierce Sapsford (Randwick Rugby Union)
Nim Ngata (boxing)
Brett Lane (Tigers NYC)
Brad Baldry (released)
Sam McCartney (released)
Codie Medway (Norths Rugby Union)

Any word on whether someone's signed him up yet?

Latest posts