What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nene McDonald

dragonssamy61

First Grade
As I've written on Facebook multiple times, MacDonald is a 'poor man's' Eto Nabuli.

Absolutely horrible in defence, Manly's brace of tries yesterday are attributable to his lack of possessing the basics of the game.

Mann has heart, MacDonald doesn't have one. It's a harsh assessment but it's also very true.

My only concern with Mann on the wing is that I believe he needs as much of the ball as possible.

As others have indicated, Aitken should be persisted with as he is a powerful runner in open space. It's weird how his defence has depreciated because it used to be a major facet of his game.

1. Dugan (when fit)
2. Mann
3, Aitken
4. Lafai
5. Nightingale

Jimmy
From what I can see and hear when at the game.
Aitken and McDonald are not communicating well.
The centre is the guy who sould be controlling if you go in or stay out.
I think McDonald is not lisening or just slow to react.
On the other side tim Lafai and nighty or mann are working as one.
Both in or both out.
I agree with you leave mann in there.
Let McDonald have a few weeks in reserves .
So he can get his mojo back

hazzbeen

Bench
Jimmy
From what I can see and hear when at the game.
Aitken and McDonald are not communicating well.
The centre is the guy who sould be controlling if you go in or stay out.
I think McDonald is not lisening or just slow to react.
On the other side tim Lafai and nighty or mann are working as one.
Both in or both out.
I agree with you leave mann in there.
Let McDonald have a few weeks in reserves .
So he can get his mojo back
Samy for such a big guy he shows little aggression and oomph . Mann on the other hand is aggressive and runs with purpose , a better player all round , we are better served with him in the team ....

giboz71

First Grade
I want to like Nene. His dummy half runs the first couple of weeks were great. Such a change from when we saw guys like Peter M and Nabuli get consistently pushed back when scooting from inside the 20.

Needs to be better defensively, he and Aitken have been badly exposed. Most of the tries we have leaked have been on our right side.

Want to see some more aerial opportunities as well but having McCrone as the kicker doesn't really help him.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Samy for such a big guy he shows little aggression and oomph . Mann on the other hand is aggressive and runs with purpose , a better player all round , we are better served with him in the team ....

Exactly.

Mann plays with heart, and well beyond his size...not unlike Nightingale when you think about it. Conversely, MacDonald exhibits virtually no aggression, and is just awful in defence. Sadly when Dugan returns, I think we all know which player will make way.

MilanDragon

Juniors
Exactly.

Mann plays with heart, and well beyond his size...not unlike Nightingale when you think about it. Conversely, MacDonald exhibits virtually no aggression, and is just awful in defence. Sadly when Dugan returns, I think we all know which player will make way.

Up until last week before Mary's pre-game presser I would've said Mann for sure, but the fact he said Kurt would've been in the team and now that Mann backed it up again with another solid display doesn't have me so sure.

Smoove_Saint

Juniors
I think the best option would be Nene to centre, Mann wing and Aitken bench. (but wont that be a slap in the face?)
My preference right side though would be M&M - Mann + Milne

possm

Coach
On form the backline would have to be:
Dugan
Mann
Aitken
Lafai
Nightingale
Widdop
McCrone

Let's hope Nightingale works well with Aitken and protects the right flank.

Crush

Coach
I think the best option would be Nene to centre, Mann wing and Aitken bench. (but wont that be a slap in the face?)
My preference right side though would be M&M - Mann + Milne
Hey Smoove
From all reports Milne is not doing all that well in reserves.
I read that he is missing tackles and running like a cream puff.
Aitken looks like he has that right centre all locked up especially with his performance last week.

Red V for life

Juniors
The Roosters and Storm have not impressed me in recent weeks, but they will exploit that right hand side defence much better than teams we've faced to date.

I've enjoyed Flo's stint at FB and how he chimes in attack, but Duges will be back to FB.

So Aitken or Nene? Neither really deserves to be dropped, but the defensive lapses on the right I feel are more on Aitken (his racing up is either panic or poorly executed defensive structure). However, he is a dynamic runner and more effective in attack ATM.

With D to be the focus, I'd push Nene in and put Flo on the right wing to sure things up. Leave Mann and Lafai on the left as they are going strong in both A and D.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
How about Mary gives Aitken intensive defence training before the game against the Roosters. I doubt very much that Macdonald would do well at centre. Either sort out Aitken's defensive work or promote Milne to right centre.

Red V for life

Juniors
How about Mary gives Aitken intensive defence training before the game against the Roosters. I doubt very much that Macdonald would do well at centre. Either sort out Aitken's defensive work or promote Milne to right centre.
Mate, intensive training might work if the problem is implementing the defensive strategy, but I kind of think he panics and that is a lot harder to fix quickly.

If that is the case, maybe put old cool head Flo outside him will calm the farm (meaning Nene would make way).

As I said, no one deserves to be dropped, but that right edge needs work and we've got the cattle to strengthen it.

Crush

Coach
Macdonald was 1 on 3 in the last 5 minutes and somehow managed to save the try WOW!

The Doc

Juniors
Macdonald was 1 on 3 in the last 5 minutes and somehow managed to save the try WOW!
I noticed that. And also noticed on a few occasions Aitkins charging out of the line in D and leaving Nene on his own.
I dont think its all Nenes fault. A large portion of the blame lays on Aitkins imo.
Its a big headache coming up.
Duges is back... nighty is on fire, lafai is on fire, aitkins in attack is on fire, Mann and Nene are both playing well.
Knowing marys style Mann will be on the bench, for his utility value.
No matter which way Mary goes some fans wont be happy, that part in this situation is understandable.
Good selection headache to have for a change.
Also, how bout some credit to Lafai? Wow his form is coming back to resemble 2014!!!
Our backline is looking really good... and widdops first half last night, wow, he was on absolute fire!!!

BennyV

Referee
I noticed that. And also noticed on a few occasions Aitkins charging out of the line in D and leaving Nene on his own.
I dont think its all Nenes fault. A large portion of the blame lays on Aitkins imo.
Its a big headache coming up.
Duges is back... nighty is on fire, lafai is on fire, aitkins in attack is on fire, Mann and Nene are both playing well.
Knowing marys style Mann will be on the bench, for his utility value.
No matter which way Mary goes some fans wont be happy, that part in this situation is understandable.
Good selection headache to have for a change.
Also, how bout some credit to Lafai? Wow his form is coming back to resemble 2014!!!
Our backline is looking really good... and widdops first half last night, wow, he was on absolute fire!!!
After last night, I'm convinced Aitken is a huge problem in defence. Which sucks, because his attack is coming along so well!

It will suck to see Mann go back to the bench, he has the right balance of speed, skills and finishing ability to be placed outside Lafai, the combo those 2 have with Widdop is looking strong!

With Dugan back, and Lafai getting back to career best form, I feel that the defensive issues are letting Aitken down and mean he should be the one demoted to the bench...

possm

Coach
If Mary figures it's Aitkens fault with right side defence, then;
Dugan to fullback
Nightingale to right wing
Man to right centre
Lafai stays at left centre
Macdonald to left wing

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
Nighty and Mann on wings, Taane to interchange with Euan, but with Taane starting and Aitken giving some bench power.