What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Coach

Frank Facer

First Grade
Just look at McGregor's CV
Strength and conditioning coach since 2002
Bennett dumped him as soon as he arrived in 2009 - wonder why?
He then went and coached The Western Suburbs Red Devils in the Illawarra comp.
Then he coached the Cutters 2012 and 2013
In 2012 the Cutters finished 6th and were knocked out in the first elimination final.
In 2013 the Cutters finished 9th and didn't even participate in the finals.

Can someone please explain to me how these credentials were used to elevate McGregor to FG coach let alone extend his tenure???
Then compare that to Browny's CV and extensive NRL and ESL experience and results.

I believe we had plenty of options - really good options such as Brown but also Cleary (we managed to scare him off) and JD of course whose credentials look stellar compared to McGregor's.

Why and how was this appointment made?
I have heard that internally they rate McGregor as a "career coach". Based on what exactly - a hunch?
Not good enough for a club like ours. Get rid of the internal politics and factions and get some independent management in place to get the place firing.
I echo your sentiments about Brown - he has done a phenomenal job in the face of adversity.
Absolutely smart and knowledgeable coach that could have done wonders at St. George.

It's ironic that of the three St.George old boys now coaching FG, we end up with the dud.
Apologies for the rant on your post.

I think those who are in control at Saints want Mary coaching, because he will accept conditions that other coaches would not accept, those conditions include having little or no say in recruitment, and possibly having the power to overrule team selections. Maybe they have a puppet as their coach?

I think that the same scenario was in place when Price was coaching us too.

I think those who are in control at Saints want Mary coaching, because he will accept conditions that other coaches would not accept, those conditions include having little or no say in recruitment, and possibly having the power to overrule team selections. Maybe they have a puppet as their coach?

If what you say is factual then it's even worse than I thought.
Who are the puppeteers? Maybe they are the ones we should be exposing and shaming.
So the equation is that our club is prepared to support an appointment like McGregor so that others within the club can control recruitment and the coaching function?
We can see how well that has worked out.
What about aptitude and experience?
Ridiculous!

John moz

Juniors
Was just announced that gold coast are looking to the future with bellamy on there list of coaches to be approached. Again we need bruce gordon and the club to settle with the sale and approach bellamy for the future to be our coach and to be signed for at least a 5 year plan.

Life's Good

Coach

Its really the perfect situation when you look at it because at no level are questions being asked about what has happened/is happening at the club.

-Team underperforms, they turn a few players over & sign the odd sugar hit(Dugan, Marshall, Hunt)to appease the unwashed fans
-Team underperforms and club initiates an internal review to appease the unwashed fans
-Internal review spawns a committee to oversee operations to appease the unwashed fans
-Committee recommends resigning the coach who has NO OTHER club chasing his signature much to the frustration of most of the unwashed fans
-Team underperforms and club admin is nowhere to be seen by the unwashed fans
-Club is in debt to the NRL yet still receives its funding with no time frame on paying it back so no questions asked other than those coming from the unwashed fans

Where do I sign up for this racket.

Its really the perfect situation when you look at it because at no level are questions being asked about what has happened/is happening at the club.

-Team underperforms, they turn a few players over & sign the odd sugar hit(Dugan, Marshall, Hunt)to appease the unwashed fans
-Team underperforms and club initiates an internal review to appease the unwashed fans
-Internal review spawns a committee to oversee operations to appease the unwashed fans
-Committee recommends resigning the coach who has NO OTHER club chasing his signature much to the frustration of most of the unwashed fans
-Team underperforms and club admin is nowhere to be seen by the unwashed fans
-Club is in debt to the NRL yet still receives its funding with no time frame on paying it back so no questions asked other than those coming from the unwashed fans

Where do I sign up for this racket.
Spot on Champ.
Now move over, I want to sign up first!

Frank Facer

First Grade
If what you say is factual then it's even worse than I thought.
Who are the puppeteers? Maybe they are the ones we should be exposing and shaming.
So the equation is that our club is prepared to support an appointment like McGregor so that others within the club can control recruitment and the coaching function?
We can see how well that has worked out.
What about aptitude and experience?
Ridiculous!
I can not say that the part about others having the power to overrule selections if factual, that is just an idea that I think could be. But I do know that Price, basically had zero to little say in recruitment and now that is the case with Mary. No decent first grade coach is going to take on the head coaching role, if they do not have a say in who we recruit and who we let go.

I still believe that Craig Young has quite a bit of influence in the club, but I have no idea what the title of his position is now. Doust is still our CEO. I think Doust is very incompetent and should be sacked. Danny Robinson is our club President and has been since the 1980's to my knowledge.

1st & 10

Juniors
I do not care if voltron and bananaman became the coaches, as long as they are not rookie coaches.

Sick of the propeller heads at the club with their obsession with untested rookie coaches. Keep making the same errors.

As for Jason Demetrio, champion guy, he held the best house parties growing up. However, he couldn't make his high school team. When he did play on weekends, he was the fairest. He always played with the spirit of the game.

But to be fair, nepotism was rife in the St George JRLFC (much like Doust and Young now).

No greater good comes from nepotism

Life's Good

Coach
I watched a semi final the other night vs Bronocs, 2007 or 8, with Brownie as coach and it was sad to see!! the attack was superb we sliced and diced them! defence was solid too

I want Brownie back.......
2006. That was the game after Brown spoke to Warren Ryan for advice about Trent Barrett. WOK told Browny to get Barrett running straighter because of his strength and passing game. Worked a treat vs. the Donkeys. Great game & great win.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Not going to happen, we are stuck with McPotatohead for another 2 year sentence! Just like Laurie Daley, they are both perceived as great former players and really good blokes to have a beer with. Therefore the media go easy on the pair of them when everyone knows they are crap coaches & should be under the blowtorch.
It would take a miracle to shift Mary out of the seat & Dean Young would be straight in continuing the Old Boys play school set up.

Not going to happen, we are stuck with McPotatohead for another 2 year sentence! Just like Laurie Daley, they are both perceived as great former players and really good blokes to have a beer with. Therefore the media go easy on the pair of them when everyone knows they are crap coaches & should be under the blowtorch.
It would take a miracle to shift Mary out of the seat & Dean Young would be straight in continuing the Old Boys play school set up.
In that case, the only hope we have is a private buyout.

Frank Facer

First Grade
There is talk that the Gold Coast are going to make a big play to sign Bellamy, who is off contract at the end of next year. The article said that Bellamy does not have the purchasing power that he had when News LTD owned the club. Cronk looks to be leaving Melbourne at the end of this year. It is likely Slater only has one more year left and Smith, probably 2 at the most. It could be the end of an era at Melbourne. We have already made a massive play to sign Bellamy, maybe 2? Doust wants Bellamy. If we could sign Bellamy, that would take a lot of heat of Doust. We now have a much better roster than we did, when we were last trying to sign him and Melbourne's roster looks to be on the decline. We also have a better roster than the Gold Coast. We also have some very promising youngsters coming though. I think we could be an attractive proposition to Bellamy.

I say that we should make signing Bellamy a number 1 priority and it is not included on the salary cap. We would finally have a top coach and hopefully a squad that could win a premiership.

Over to you Doust, make it happen.

Last edited: