What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New coach

Where's the hunger and desire to succeed?!!! If they don't have it, why are they on the board!

Straight
Surely you are not that silly.

It has been said numerous times they don't care about success clearly evident in the coaches they have hired over the last couple of years.

Not one single person on the board give a rats arse about on field performances aslong as they are able to keep a job and the Dragons look like the good guys of the league.

blacksafake

First Grade
OV, some goss for you. A member of my family is very close to one of the members of the board at SGI. Someone you'd know who's name gets thrown around on the forum from time to time.
This member is not a big fan of Mary. Mainly because he can't stand Widdop as a captain. He says he is embarrassed to watch widdop at events and in press conferences. He says Mary made him captain and is too stuborn to demote him as he has dug his heels in with the board on this matter.
He said this morning that nothing will change next year and that Mary will be coach and Widdop will be captain.
Where do I find the dislike button lol

JDHD

Juniors
I honestly can't believe how many people are throwing up Daley and Walters as potential coaches. Christ almighty do you guys watch Origin at all? Daley doesn't know how a bench rotation works, sticks with sex pest favourites and Walters left Billy Slater out of game 1.

Drag Queen

Bench
I honestly can't believe how many people are throwing up Daley and Walters as potential coaches. Christ almighty do you guys watch Origin at all? Daley doesn't know how a bench rotation works, sticks with sex pest favourites and Walters left Billy Slater out of game 1.
Yeah, but apparently he's a nice guy. Doesn't cut it.

dragon thomo

Juniors
We need a coach that has a strong will to win with a smart football brain, we need a coach that is not affraid to try something different, we need a coach that has respect from his players without trying to be there mate. We need a coach that will deliver success.

Reddragon

Bench
Just need a coach that makes the team look like they're on the same page, playing coherently with fluency. Not seen much evidence of that under McGregor

hazzbeen

Bench
The only way we are going to get rid of Mary is if we reverse this year and start our season with 6 to 7 straight losses then maybe the pressure may be to much for the board to ignore . As for signing Mary on for the extra 2 years was always going to happen regardless of where we were on the table , so when they were leading early top of table it made it easier and was hard for supporters to argue the decision ....

Last edited:

JDHD

Juniors
The only way we are going to get rid of Mary is if we reverse this year and start our season with 6 to 7 straight losses then maybe the pressure may be to much for the board to ignore . As for signing Mary on for the extra 2 years was always going to happen regardless of where we were on the table , so when they were leading early top of table it made it easier and was hard for supporters to argue the decision ....

I'll own it: I thought resigning Mary was a good decision at the time, based on what I had seen up to that point. Big mistake.

Life's Good

Coach
To be honest I was never comfortable , with his reappointment ....
Me too. Whilst he deserved credit for a good start to the year I clearly recall saying to hold off signing him(as many others did as well). At that point he hadn't earned sh*t and still needed to get through Origin and the inevitable slump. Obviously he failed miserably yet is now seemingly set for another 2 years because nothing is coming from the club to suggest any pressure is on him.

FlameThrower

Bench
For some weird reason there is not much media scrutiny on the Board and CEO? Souths have 2 bad seasons and sack their premiership winning coach. Dogs are 50/50 of ditching Hasler who is up there with Top 5 coaches in NRL. Raiders already stated a cut and burn review of their season. We miss finals and barely improve from last year even with a much better roster and it's silence of the lambs from the Club? The Club moves at glacial pace and it's left up to players 'tweeting' their disappointment and asking the fans to stay strong, as there is 'always next year '!!!

blacksafake

First Grade
The club must have closed down for the summer break as i fired off an email "thanking" Doust & the board for all their efforts these last 7 years.
I "thanked" them for such things as playing sundays game at the bulldogs home.
Playing fan appreciation round at the bulldogs home.
For continually appointing "Rookie ol boys" coaches & then extending their contracts.
RGRV schedule,millions of $$$ debt to the NRL etc etc.
I also said us fans also looked forward to them doing it all again next season & so on.
You normally get an automated reply from the club when you send emails but this time nothing.
They obviously didn't like my sarcasm.

Life's Good

Coach
For some weird reason there is not much media scrutiny on the Board and CEO? Souths have 2 bad seasons and sack their premiership winning coach. Dogs are 50/50 of ditching Hasler who is up there with Top 5 coaches in NRL. Raiders already stated a cut and burn review of their season. We miss finals and barely improve from last year even with a much better roster and it's silence of the lambs from the Club? The Club moves at glacial pace and it's left up to players 'tweeting' their disappointment and asking the fans to stay strong, as there is 'always next year '!!!

I see this as 2 things:
1. The club has done a mighty job in managing to keep a lid on expectations to the point we aren't viewed as anything but mid level, plucky underdog, perennial fringe 8 team eg mediocre of which the media doesn't bat an eyelid
2. The club isn't going to scrutinise Mary too heavily as it brings into question their leadership and vision for extending his contract. Sure they could palm that off to the performance committee but again that raises questions about the committee which was appointed by the board. Basically any attention to this is a threat to the ride on the gravy train and they aren't willing to hand over that ticket.

Last edited:

JDHD

Juniors
I see this as 2 things:
1. The club has done a mighty job is managing to keep a lid on expectations to the point we aren't viewed as anything but mid level, plucky underdog, perennial fringe 8 team eg mediocre of which the media doesn't bat an eyelid
2. The club isn't going to scrutinise Mary too heavily as it brings into question their leadership and vision for extending his contract. Sure they could palm that off to the performance committee but again that raises questions about the committee which was appointed by the board. Basically any attention to this is a threat to the ride on the gravy train and they aren't willing to hand over that ticket.

I think its mostly because Souths and Canterbury actually did or are doing something, whereas we're just sitting here silently.

Life's Good

Coach
I think its mostly because Souths and Canterbury actually did or are doing something, whereas we're just sitting here silently.
This is one thing about our club. It is pretty watertight so whilst there are no leaks there is nothing to spark anyones interest.

Latest posts