What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New look for forum.

Rich102

Staff member
Looks brighter and should work better. Not sure how but I take admin's word for it.
What are peoples thoughts?

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Loving it so far. Just wondering how you get to your profile settings though and if the alerts, alert you on new messages that respond to a post of yours..Ill have to suss it out I guess but the forums new look is an improvement!

vvvrulz

Coach
Mobile UI is much more loud and cluttered, definitely preferred the previous minimalistic look and feel

Where is the new posts since last visit button? Now I have to open every single forum up to check active threads instead of the nice and easy new posts list.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Where is the new posts since last visit button? Now I have to open every single forum up to check active threads instead of the nice and easy new posts list.
On the forums page wher you can view all boards, it should be on your right, just scroll down. Hope that helps.

vvvrulz

Coach
It's definitely improved on the iPad or PC IMO. I reckon you'll like it.

Definitely works better on the PC compared to the mobile, but in my opinion it's not an improvement over the previous UI in terms of look and feel.

Few things noticed on first glance:
- post counts and date joined next to everyone's avatars has disappeared.
- multi quote system seems to be gone
- I do like the idea of a 'like' system, not sure about points though. Both have the drawback of starting fresh so the forum veterans will start at zero despite their wealth of quality posts in the past.

Specifically on mobile
- mobile app is having trouble persisting my session, had to login again three times already today
- portrait view removes a lot of key info such as last updated thread and the full bread crumb links to get back to the parent page. Both come back if rotating to landscape, but that's not ideal at all.
- lots of wasted space, entire landing page has to be scrolled away to get to the posts

ozbash

Referee
It's OK I think..
Change gets a bit of getting used to.

Same reaction to the old version when Coby and co implemented it..

These guys put in a huge effort for us..

vvvrulz

Coach
It's OK I think..
Change gets a bit of getting used to.

Same reaction to the old version when Coby and co implemented it..

These guys put in a huge effort for us..

I absolutely appreciate the work that went behind this.

I'm just providing (hopefully) constructive feedback.

I'm generally not a huge fan of UI refactoring, it wasn't broken to begin with other than the search function playing up a bit.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Don't like the colour scheme personally. The message colour and container colour are too similar. Unless I look close it just looks look like everything has been dumped on the page rather than a clear distinction between one message and the next.

Aside from that I have no real issue. I'll get used to it.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Definitely works better on the PC compared to the mobile, but in my opinion it's not an improvement over the previous UI in terms of look and feel.

Few things noticed on first glance:
- post counts and date joined next to everyone's avatars has disappeared.
- multi quote system seems to be gone
- I do like the idea of a 'like' system, not sure about points though. Both have the drawback of starting fresh so the forum veterans will start at zero despite their wealth of quality posts in the past.

Specifically on mobile
- mobile app is having trouble persisting my session, had to login again three times already today
- portrait view removes a lot of key info such as last updated thread and the full bread crumb links to get back to the parent page. Both come back if rotating to landscape, but that's not ideal at all.
- lots of wasted space, entire landing page has to be scrolled away to get to the posts
I normally post on here through my mobile which I've yet to do so that does sound bad.

Yeah the like system is good. Saves typing out small posts like 'agreed, this etc..'

I was hoping it had like an alert icon to let you know somebody has replied to one of your posts and it'll be cool just to click that icon and it takes you directly to the post.

Surely they can restore the post count but most posters know you're a veteran poster.

I like most of it.

jaseg

Juniors
It still has readable text and an area in which to type posts. That's a pass mark from me.

Took a second to adjust, looks good otherwise. I'm sure there will be little moments where it will take a second to find something that has changed, but that's to be expected with any design change.

TheDMC

Bench
The font for thread headings like "New Look for Forum" is not easy on the eyes.

Ahh, so easy to be a critic.

I think it would be great to have a like/dislike button for posts, similar to facebook. Someone posts something interesting or perceptive, can give it a like ditto someone writes garbage give them a dislike. Might stop some of the garbage conversations - where you feel compelled to reply to a crap post, but have to write something, which often starts pointless clutter, or an argument. Ditto a great post, nice to recognize, but writing a post saying 'great post' is really clutter, even though the props deserved.

Then there could be a sort function - so you can see the most liked (or disliked) posts of the day ...the former might show some really good stuff that you may otherwise miss.

I do appreciate the efforts for this forum too, its a goodie.

ozbash

Referee
I absolutely appreciate the work that went behind this.

I'm just providing (hopefully) constructive feedback.

I'm generally not a huge fan of UI refactoring, it wasn't broken to begin with other than the search function playing up a bit.

wasnt having a shot at you..:cool:

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Hey I'm gonna follow all the Warriors on this forum. There's this newsfeed thing that you can do on here and it just shows all the latest posts from whoever you choose to follow and you just click on their post to go straight it to it. Saves time and the new post thing only shows so much and it's not always the subject you wanna talk about.

Anyway if you one day go to my profile and see I'm following that's what that's about. Stalking lol.