What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Metallica.. finally

Mong

Post Whore
Manunkind and now that we're dead are great.

Here comes revenge is plenty good too.

Different type of film clip for manunkind, unlike anything else they have done before that I can think of.

Last edited:

18to87

First Grade
I've been listening to it for close to a week now and Spit Out the Bone and Halo on Fire are up there with their best work IMO. Love the idea of having a video clip for every song.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Listening to it for a second time now.

It feels like they have just decided to do what they want this time. You kinda got the feeling that DM was an attempt to replicate their past, and for the most part it was pretty good.

This album feels a whole lot more natural. Definitely sounds a lot better.

18to87

First Grade
Listening to it for a second time now.

It feels like they have just decided to do what they want this time. You kinda got the feeling that DM was an attempt to replicate their past, and for the most part it was pretty good.

This album feels a whole lot more natural. Definitely sounds a lot better.

Agree.

Also think Greg Fidelman producing had a lot to do with the improvements over St Anger and Death Magnetic.

Red Bear

Referee
It is a lot better than Death Magnetic, although with some of the same flaws.

Too long. Some songs just long for the sake of being long and could just drop a few songs.

Moth into Flame is really good though, particularly the little bit about 4-5 minutes in before the final chorus.

Confusion, Am I Savage were pretty mediocre. Could've dropped them. Halo on Fire just keeps going.

It's the best thing they've done in a long time I think. Not sure it'll be a classic but it is a reasonable addition to their catelogue

The luxury of the studio allows them to write within the limitations of Hetfields voice, which was an interesting contrast to the live stuff on the deluxe album. Hetfield can't hit the notes from the kill em all/ride the lightning era.

Mong

Post Whore
Longer songs are flawed?

I prefer the longer songs for the most part, it's not like it's a new thing to them either.

7 and a bit minutes of spit out the bone.. Yes please!! :)

Mong

Post Whore
Spit out the bone was originally over 10 minutes initially, sounds like there are bits of Lords of Summer in it that were cut out of LOS which it's self was a long song and had an unusually long intro when they started playing it ages ago.

adamkungl

Immortal
Listened to it a few times now. Not sure if I'd say it's better than DM, about the same, different strengths and different flaws. Feels like a heavier Load.

I like to varying degrees between good-great:
Hardwired
Atlas Rise
Moth into the Flame
Dream No More
Halo on Fire
Confusion
Spit out the Bone
Lords of Summer

The rest kinda don't do much for me at this stage. Maybe they'll grow on me. Right now they're filler in an 80 minute album. My opinion of it as a whole would be higher if it had 3-4 less songs. So - it has both more good songs and more shit songs than DM. Again - makes me think of Load, which was a too long album with a bunch of great songs and a bunch of filler.

It sounds a lot better than DM. ie. they didn't completely butcher the production job.

On the other hand I'll agree with the above comment that said some songs drag on too long, even the good ones. Long songs are great, but not when they just repeat sections tacked onto the back end without actually adding anything new. They've done it before, they used to do it better. Metallica's inability to self-edit is nothing new.

My last thought is that the whole 80 minutes has a very similar tone and structure. I feel like it misses 1-2 softer songs (Nothing Else Matters, Unforgiven) to break it up, or something that breaks the verse-chorus-verse-chorus flow (Sanitarium, One, an instrumental).

Overall - Mostly enjoyable, some individually great songs but as a whole album has some obvious filler and flaws. There's a lot to like but I don't think any of it reaches Metallica's best or 2016's best.

2.5 stars

Latest posts