What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New RL HQ in Brisbane

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
http://www.qrl.com.au/news/2015/09/24/new_home_of_rugby_le.html

More info in the video after the link.

-Located across from Lang Park, 83 Castlemaine Street.
-To be called Rugby League Central - Queensland
-Will host QRL, NRL staff and Touch QLD.
-Should be finished by early 2016.

New home of rugby league in Qld

Thu 24th September, 10:57AM

The NRL and QRL today unveiled plans for a new home of Rugby League in Queensland.

The centre, opposite Suncorp Stadium, will combine the history of the game with the most modern facilities for the players, students and the community.

It will house all the game’s key Queensland stakeholders – from the QRL and Men of League through to Touch Football Australia and NRL officials – under the one roof.

NRL CEO Dave Smith said the new centre would include:

* A Rugby League historical display and function space, combining the heritage of the game with grassroots and community programs

* A learning centre featuring interactive displays which can be used by school children and community groups

* Meeting rooms and work spaces

ARLC Chairman, John Grant said the NRL had a vision to celebrate the success and future of Rugby League under the one roof.

“Queensland is a powerhouse of Rugby League … you only have to look at the makeup of the Finals series to see that,” he said.

“There is going to be growing demand to be part of our game in Queensland and this project gives us a centre where school children, community groups, players, fans and staff can all enjoy the many benefits our game has to offer.

“And it is only across the road from Suncorp Stadium.”

QRL Managing Director, Rob Moore said the new centre would help everyone feel part of Rugby League.

He said the QRL had outgrown the existing premises at Suncorp Stadium and the new facility would ensure staff could deliver a better service to stakeholders.

“We now have an increased presence of NRL staff in Queensland which is a massive boost for the game,” he said.

“This centre will house staff from the South East Division and Brisbane junior and senior leagues as well.

“While it is only a stone’s throw away from our current offices at Suncorp Stadium, this is a significant move in the development of Rugby League in our State.”

Mr Moore said the owners of the building would co-invest with the NRL and QRL in the centre.

1443074438403.jpg

Last edited:

The Partisan

"* A Rugby League historical display and function space, combining the heritage of the game with grassroots and community programs"

Being a keen follower of the efforts and activities of QRL History Committee I'm hopeful that this is a location that will be put together with due diligence and respect to the whole state ...not just Brisbane. Not seen it but apparently the RL Museum in Sydney is very NSWRL centric. Lets not make the same mistake.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
"* A Rugby League historical display and function space, combining the heritage of the game with grassroots and community programs"

Being a keen follower of the efforts and activities of QRL History Committee I'm hopeful that this is a location that will be put together with due diligence and respect to the whole state ...not just Brisbane. Not seen it but apparently the RL Museum in Sydney is very NSWRL centric. Lets not make the same mistake.

It's not a very big building, looks to be mainly offices and conference rooms. I won't expect much of a display/museum there honestly.

A QLD sporting museum incorporated into the next Lang Park stadium upgrade might be a better idea, even if it's a long time away.

3YeLm51.jpg

XXXX Cap

Juniors

Didn't Rugby League only start in Queensland in 1980 ? I know club Rugby League only started in 1988 because that's when the stats start - Wally made his First Grade debut that year. :eek:

Are they building it new, or just converting an existing building?

I'd like to see something like this in Victoria in the near future, but maybe scaled down a bit.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Are they building it new, or just converting an existing building?

I'd like to see something like this in Victoria in the near future, but maybe scaled down a bit.

Yeah, it'd be a nice idea.

From the timeframe I'd say they're renovating the existing building. Wouldn't be too much to do inside, the thing still looks new in the real estate pics.

DlEHARD

Juniors
Delighted to hear of the scale and the location. Also the heritage element.

But it looks weird in NRL colours and not maroon. Surely the QRL logo has to go at least somewhere.

insert.pause

First Grade
Delighted to hear of the scale and the location. Also the heritage element.

But it looks weird in NRL colours and not maroon. Surely the QRL logo has to go at least somewhere.

it's called Rugby League Central, same as at Moore Park, because it will house all RL bodies, not just the QRL.

Moore Park has all the logos outfront under the NRL badge.

If it was up to the NRL the QRL & NSWRL wouldn't exist and would instead be directly under the NRL umbrella as NRLQLD.

insert.pause

First Grade

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Didn't Rugby League only start in Queensland in 1980 ? I know club Rugby League only started in 1988 because that's when the stats start - Wally made his First Grade debut that year. :eek:

There is nothing more cringeworthy and infuriating than seeing the t-shirts emblazoned 'Maroons est. 1980'.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
They have been at it again this week.

Apparently, Wayne Bennett is undefeated in Grand Finals.

Wynnum-Manly 42 Souths 8 in 1984 sounds like a loss to me, a still standing record one in fact.

I thought he was co coach with Don Furner in 1987 for Canberra anyway in their loss to Manly. That makes it 3 grand finals ( 1987 nswrl, 1984 brl & 1979 brl) Bennett has lost.

rwaite

Juniors

I believe the museum will be where the FOGS are now at Suncorp Stadium. Anticipated date for a museum is around the middle of next year.

I am good friends with a guy on the Historical Committee and I hope to be involved with the museum. It will be far more Queensland oriented than the one in Sydney.

The Partisan

Possibly we've met at a QRL HC lecture in recent years ?

Yeah just hope the whole state gets a look in with regards to memorabillia / exhibits etc. I'm confident it will.