What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Signings- Take 2

txta2

Bench
The “poaching” of juniors.

Let’s remember there is no NYC next year. These guys are next to no chance of breaking into the Sharks NRL squad. That’s a dud option for mine.

They have to go somewhere so it’s obvious most will leave. If they are NRL quality surely Morris knows this and reports to the football people and those will be kept

Rarely to footy people see the same as fans. Probably because footy people have access to assessing other things like motivation, attitude, personal issues, what makes them tick, leadership potential etc etc

Not worth getting in a tizz about
I'm not worried about poaching but more the retention of good players. Doesn't seem to be happening lately. With Curtis Scott and the 'fox'good examples.

sharkman73

Juniors
I'm not worried about poaching but more the retention of good players. Doesn't seem to be happening lately. With Curtis Scott and the 'fox'good examples.

They both left for a better chance at first grade, they weren't going to get that here in the short term. We won a comp in 2016, I don't know why the hell people complain about this?

sharkman73

Juniors
Because there are 4 at least very good players who would walk into our team at other clubs.

IMO we don't seem to give juniors a go as readily as other clubs.

Our team now, not when we won the comp. What don't you understand about that?

Card Shark

Immortal
Flanno likes experience cause he knows what he’s gunna get most weeks.

In 2016, we won the comp on experience with 2 young blokes making a name For themselves.

We lacked the injection of youthful enthusiasm this year, although Brailey was good, playing a non-flashy/mistake free style.

PJ

First Grade
Our team now, not when we won the comp. What don't you understand about that?

Get over yourself.

Do you think that we would have had less of a chance winning with Peachy and Frizzel in the team?

Chad had to leave to prove he was a first grade player. Wouldn't have been back when he came but for family issues.

Ado Carr and Scott didn't see a pathway here.

Who was the last junior to come through and play first for us? Holmes possibly but he was realistically poached from NQ.

Melbourne don't seem to lose many good ones as, imo, they have pathways laid out.

sharkman73

Juniors
Get over yourself.

Do you think that we would have had less of a chance winning with Peachy and Frizzel in the team?

Chad had to leave to prove he was a first grade player. Wouldn't have been back when he came but for family issues.

Ado Carr and Scott didn't see a pathway here.

Who was the last junior to come through and play first for us? Holmes possibly but he was realistically poached from NQ.

Melbourne don't seem to lose many good ones as, imo, they have pathways laid out.

We won the comp in 2016. Why on earth would you want to tinker with that? Would Peachey have played on with a broken arm in the GF?

I don't get your point on Ado Carr and Scott? They left because they wanted to play first grade, we couldn't offer that in the short term. What did you want us to do to keep them?

PJ

First Grade
We won the comp in 2016. Why on earth would you want to tinker with that? Would Peachey have played on with a broken arm in the GF?

I don't get your point on Ado Carr and Scott? They left because they wanted to play first grade, we couldn't offer that in the short term. What did you want us to do to keep them?

My point is we do not have a good recent record of retaining juniors who come through our system.

What don't you understand about that?

Both of them, imo, offer more now, last year and moving forward than what we were getting from Beale or Feki.

Perhaps one or both may have considered hanging around of they thought they would progress.

IMO Flanno is overly conservative in bringing players through, and it would not surprise me if others such as players and their managers/family/friends agree and that influences their decision to leave.

I have given you 5 examples of players who have left our system and are regular first graders with a lot of footy in front of them. If you can point out who has come through and stayed?

sharkman73

Juniors
My point is we do not have a good recent record of retaining juniors who come through our system.

What don't you understand about that?

Both of them, imo, offer more now, last year and moving forward than what we were getting from Beale or Feki.

Perhaps one or both may have considered hanging around of they thought they would progress.

IMO Flanno is overly conservative in bringing players through, and it would not surprise me if others such as players and their managers/family/friends agree and that influences their decision to leave.

I have given you 5 examples of players who have left our system and are regular first graders with a lot of footy in front of them. If you can point out who has come through and stayed?

You don't get it. The fact we won a comp, our first ever, trumps anything you say.

We may not have won if the team was any different.

Mate I would absolutely love to have Scott playing in the centres with us, he is a deadset weapon and will only get better. Facts are facts though, how do you keep him a couple of years ago and play him in firsts? A team that won the comp? You can't.

People bang on about the juniors we've lost. Not that many have gone on to become really good players.

Swings and roundabouts as well. We poached players like Val and Bird from rival teams. Shit happens. We won a comp.

Reactions: tye

Weaponhead

Coach
Winning a comp is good. Sustainable success is better.

Retention is an art. Not many saw Addo-Carr developing into what he has at Melbourne. He was always quick but wasn't professional. He is a weapon now but would he be the same player in our system or did moving bring out the hunger. Impossible to know.

Scott was always ear marked but he seemed to want out. Can't make people stay but can make them feel wanted and have a plan for them to become first graders. Did he get that attention with us? Who knows.

Both would improve our team now though.

The big challenge for Flanno now is to evolve the team to where the game going not where it was 2 years ago. He has to change for the team to change.

sharkman73

Juniors
Winning a comp is good. Sustainable success is better.

Retention is an art. Not many saw Addo-Carr developing into what he has at Melbourne. He was always quick but wasn't professional. He is a weapon now but would he be the same player in our system or did moving bring out the hunger. Impossible to know.

Scott was always ear marked but he seemed to want out. Can't make people stay but can make them feel wanted and have a plan for them to become first graders. Did he get that attention with us? Who knows.

Both would improve our team now though.

The big challenge for Flanno now is to evolve the team to where the game going not where it was 2 years ago. He has to change for the team to change.

That is all true but you need to weigh up the chance of a premiership vs long term success. It isn't easy.

Give what transpired, we made the right decisions imo.

PJ

First Grade
You don't get it. The fact we won a comp, our first ever, trumps anything you say.

We may not have won if the team was any different.

Mate I would absolutely love to have Scott playing in the centres with us, he is a deadset weapon and will only get better. Facts are facts though, how do you keep him a couple of years ago and play him in firsts? A team that won the comp? You can't.

People bang on about the juniors we've lost. Not that many have gone on to become really good players.

Swings and roundabouts as well. We poached players like Val and Bird from rival teams. Shit happens. We won a comp.

FMD!! We won the comp??

Why didn't anyone tell me?

Now I get it.

But why are we talking about signings then? Surely we can just run that same team out forever?

We had a very good team, assembled with quite a bit of luck when you consider how Ennis and Maloney fell in our laps.

Others have very good clubs, where one win is just the start not a trump over everything else, where juniors hang around as they know what the path is and that if they are playing well enough they will get their chance.

So I gave you 5 regular first graders who left, still waiting for any you can say who stayed. I'll give you a hint, initials J B ;)

PJ

First Grade
That is all true but you need to weigh up the chance of a premiership vs long term success. It isn't easy.

Give what transpired, we made the right decisions imo.

We got lucky.

If Maloney didn't fall in our laps we wouldn't have won it.

sharkman73

Juniors
FMD!! We won the comp??

Why didn't anyone tell me?

Now I get it.

But why are we talking about signings then? Surely we can just run that same team out forever?

We had a very good team, assembled with quite a bit of luck when you consider how Ennis and Maloney fell in our laps.

Others have very good clubs, where one win is just the start not a trump over everything else, where juniors hang around as they know what the path is and that if they are playing well enough they will get their chance.

So I gave you 5 regular first graders who left, still waiting for any you can say who stayed. I'll give you a hint, initials J B ;)

I'll give you Chad, I think most of us would have preferred he stayed rather than keeping Robbo.

The others though, it's always very easy in hindsight. How would you have fitted Frizz, Peach, Addo Carr and Scott in first grade or in the cap? It's not that easy.

Of course it'd be great to have those guys in the team now, but they left a few years ago, not now.

Let's not forget how almost everyone wanted to keep Lichaa, how did that turn out? You can't win them all.

PJ

First Grade
I'll give you Chad, I think most of us would have preferred he stayed rather than keeping Robbo.

The others though, it's always very easy in hindsight. How would you have fitted Frizz, Peach, Addo Carr and Scott in first grade or in the cap? It's not that easy.

Of course it'd be great to have those guys in the team now, but they left a few years ago, not now.

Let's not forget how almost everyone wanted to keep Lichaa, how did that turn out? You can't win them all.

Now your finally getting close with that last line. We have kept 1 out of 6. Not even close to winning them all but pretty near losing them all.

That doesn't sound real good.

How many good ones have Melbourne lost and they manage the cap.

I don't think it was hindsight for Frizz, Peach or Scott. A little for Chad and Addo Carr.

Personally I would like to see players given a shot based on performance, not being incumbent.

It is all hypothetical but I don't think it unreasonable that players given a go and showing they can perform would be more likely to stay around and in turn give the other juniors the impression that there is a way to first grade at the Sharks.

So say Peach had have been given more opportunities maybe they could have made the cap by moving someone else on, someone whose position he had taken.

From media reports it does seem that players who are happy take less to stay where they are, so that may have helped as well.

All hypotheticals.

But to be honest if I had a talented kid in the Sharks area I would probably encourage him to look elsewhere as I really do believe giving young players a go is an area we are weak in.

Still waiting for your player list that proves me wrong.

Card Shark

Immortal
I can’t knock Flanno for sticking solid through 2016, possibly at the expense of a couple of younger blokes.

However, we were ordinary at times in 2017 but Flanno gave them to many chances.

I reckon he’s kicking himself for not blooding a few more younger blokes, particularly off the bench.

PJ

First Grade
I can’t knock Flanno for sticking solid through 2016, possibly at the expense of a couple of younger blokes.

However, we were ordinary at times in 2017 but Flanno gave them to many chances.

I reckon he’s kicking himself for not blooding a few more younger blokes, particularly off the bench.
Its not just 16 and 17 though.

I think its been hos whole time.

Loyalty is a good thing, but often changes were only through injury.