What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand 2 will deal a massive blow to NZ rugby

If Campo or Fitz told me the sun was coming up tomorrow I’d still seek another opinion.

I posted a while back that the international footprint for RU was its biggest strength, but also the source of its biggest challenges in this part of the world. Not just for the economic competition you point out, but in NZR and RA’s attempts to create a more fan-friendly product.

But the global benefits are equally tangible. If NZR was as reliant on pure broadcast revenue as the NRL is, they’d already have gone under. But 40% of their revenue is derived from global sponsorship deals which wouldn’t be possible without that global reach. So in all fairness to them, they’re managing a much more complex beast than Abdo and co are.
The NZRU will need to allow All Blacks to play overseas and make other unions pay a higher fee for the right to play Test matches against them. All Blacks are a major draw, so it's only fair they get a higher cut.

It's tough because whatever they do, it's a step back to the start, trying to build rivalry ect
I think the game is doomed to be a niche sport in Australia. The game's popularity 25 years ago was dependent upon the Wallabies defeating the All Blacks and winning World Cups. Our three Super 12 teams were competitive in a relatively new competition. Interest was always going to nosedive once the Wallabies went downhill and the talent was diluted among five teams. It's a worrying reminder of what could happen to the Storm if they ever go on a losing run over a number of seasons.

final say

Juniors
I think the game is doomed to be a niche sport in Australia. The game's popularity 25 years ago was dependent upon the Wallabies defeating the All Blacks and winning World Cups. Our three Super 12 teams were competitive in a relatively new competition. Interest was always going to nosedive once the Wallabies went downhill and the talent was diluted among five teams. It's a worrying reminder of what could happen to the Storm if they ever go on a losing run over a number of seasons.
I think the Storm has a pretty loyal rusted on support. A bottom of the table Storm would probably still pull around 13 or 14k. It's a completely different thing to the Wallabies.. the Wallabies were/are a national team and they rode on the back of patriotism and so did that game..when the national team goes down hill, so does the game..
All blecks...if they continue to only pick players in SR , they really could fall off but if they start picking players playing abroad, then SR will be f**ked.
It's checkmate, just watch the show.

The NZRU will need to allow All Blacks to play overseas and make other unions pay a higher fee for the right to play Test matches against them. All Blacks are a major draw, so it's only fair they get a higher cut.

Agree on the second part and they’ve been fighting that battle for a long time. It’s also the reason for revenue tests outside the normal window where they negotiate the split upfront and can pocket 1-2mill each time.

The first part is much more challenging. Think of the impact of Origin players missing club games while in camp and then replicate that across the whole season. If SR is already on its knees, losing all its best players would just about kill it for good.

NZR knows this which is why they’ve resisted following RA and SA Rugby’s lead for so long, despite the media periodically screaming for it.

I dunno the answer but they’ll need to find one in the next 12 mths.

Canard

Immortal
The Wallabies haven't won a Bledisloe Cup for 22 years, and a World cup in 25.

They are not the reason for Unions lowly position in the Australian psyche.

It's because most Australians find the sports rules impenetrable and regard the game as an over officiated mess run by old school ties that say things like "if you can't afford a house, get a better paying job"

Any correlation between Union and the Storm is f**king beyond idiotic, and @Get Rid of The Donkeys should repeatedly punch himself in his micro dick for making it.

Matiunz

Juniors
100%
NRL to Sky " our numbers are booming and we're adding a game "
RU to Sky " our numbers are dwindling and we're cutting a game "

Ge, I wonder how this plays out lol
Where is Super Rugby cutting a game? Rebels whilst in financial trouble haven’t been given the boot just yet and Argentina is due to come back in with 1-2 teams from 2026
Also need to consider NZRU is selling the All Blacks games first off and 5/6 Super Rugby teams and 14 NPC teams, NRL is selling mainly the Warriors and Potentially NZ2 with minimal interest for the rest of the the NRL teams

final say

Juniors
Where is Super Rugby cutting a game? Rebels whilst in financial trouble haven’t been given the boot just yet and Argentina is due to come back in with 1-2 teams from 2026
Also need to consider NZRU is selling the All Blacks games first off and 5/6 Super Rugby teams and 14 NPC teams, NRL is selling mainly the Warriors and Potentially NZ2 with minimal interest for the rest of the the NRL teams
The Rebels are broke, do the math.

I think the Storm has a pretty loyal rusted on support. A bottom of the table Storm would probably still pull around 13 or 14k. It's a completely different thing to the Wallabies.. the Wallabies were/are a national team and they rode on the back of patriotism and so did that game..when the national team goes down hill, so does the game..
All blecks...if they continue to only pick players in SR , they really could fall off but if they start picking players playing abroad, then SR will be f**ked.
It's checkmate, just watch the show.
I hope the Storm are able to maintain an average of 13-16k when they slide down the table. If they can stay at 18k then that'll be great. One thing I do think they'll lose is the bandwagon fans and neutral viewers from Queensland and NSW. Cowboys lost a lot of neutral TV viewers once Thurston retired and they slid down the table.

Wb1234

Referee
News corp are reporting that nine have bid eight million less for the super rugby tv rights at 25 million pa (which includes the test matches lol)