What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand dominance of rugby league paving way for second Kiwi team in NRL

Bluebags1908

Juniors
Well you could say the Cowboys shouldn't be called NQ because they've played perhaps two games outside Townsville in 16 years. Which ground you play your games at defines your core support base and for practical reasons most clubs restrict that to one ground. But who buys your merchandise or boosts your television value doesn't need to be restricted by physical proximity. And if there's a larger market that is a natural extension of your core and no one else is catering to it, why limit your appeal?

The Cowbiys are truly representative of North Queensland. The Warriors are just an Auckland team.

Who cares, it's just marketing. I'm not confused by the difference between the New Zealand representative side and a professional league franchise. And I'm sure neither you nor anyone else with the slightest interest in Rugby League is either. Associating the club with a defined geographic area is only done on the basis of what gives the club the best bottom line. If the name "New Zealand" means a more financially successful and better supported franchise than calling it "Auckland" at one end of the scale or "Planet Earth" at the other end then good luck to them. Ultimately the more successful that franchise, the better the result for the game of Rugby League in New Zealand.

Leigh

Yeah well it's dumb marketing. And it's not about being 'confused' - it's just the principle of it. It's plain wrong to call a club side after a nation. Anyway I don't think they're officially called 'New Zealand Warriors' it's just 'Warriors'. They might revert back to Auckland when a 2nd NZ team comes in.