What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand vs. Australia

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Bronson should be first 2nd rower picked. Big mistake.

I agree.

NZ has the best depth at the moment though.
Bronson has been one of the best 2nd rower this year no doubt.

I would start hiim and put manu to the bench. Then decide between manu / matulino / wareahargreaves for final bench spot.

Bronson did get much opportunities against PNG. But he did get much ball at all - and they are so unorthodox which may have had some effect.

Manu - is rough and tumble - he is a kearney favourite - hence how he got picked last year even though he hadnt played any nrl games.

But remember essentially this is a dead rubber per se. Could be different next week.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
I'd probably actually move Harrison back into starting 2nd row and Manu onto the bench at the the expense of Matulino actually.

joseph1

Juniors
Harrison over Manu. Harrison is a gun. His game in raiders tigers final was Sonny Bill-esque. Better even. Kearney is playing more games. Pack in final
will be 8) Blair 10) Nuuasala 11) Mannering 12) Harrison 13) Smith 15) Hargreaves 16) Matulino 17) Eastwood

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
I do not rate Bronson at higher levels.

Good move in my view.

Well he stood out in the world cup - cant get higher level than world cup finals.

He was also one of kiwis best in past two anzac tests.

Kearney did state he did pick the best team for this week.
Regardless of whether they win or lose - matulino or manu may make way for Bronson and or less likely warea-hargreaves.

If Frank Pritchard doesnt peform I would actually drop him first. Frankie has barely played for kiwis of late - and is a hot & cold player.
If he hot hes first picked - if not then I would consider amongst all the other good players fighting for spots.

Didnt stand out on attack against PNG.
However he runs mean lines which create gaps for benji and skd.

In canberra he had a crap halfback so he got given early ball all the time.

Just to think we have rapira out with injury and lesser extent moimoi.
Then we have asotasi who couldnt even make the squad - the best depth ever. who needs sb dub.

mrpwnd

Bench
NZ will hammer Australia by a good amount.
There's no spark in the current Aussies squad, boring backs and weak forwards.

At least NZ have Nightingale, SKD and heck I'll even put in Sau because there's no tall freaks to take advantage over his height in the Aussies outfit.

36-12 NZ win.

mrpwnd

Bench
Harrison over Manu. Harrison is a gun. His game in raiders tigers final was Sonny Bill-esque. Better even. Kearney is playing more games. Pack in final
will be 8) Blair 10) Nuuasala 11) Mannering 12) Harrison 13) Smith 15) Hargreaves 16) Matulino 17) Eastwood
Now you're just talking sh*t. At least Kearney doesn't have a boner with green goggles on.

ozenzud

Juniors
Aussies have named a second string side I see.

Really not a bad move from their point of view. Get fllogged by the Kiwis, ah well, that was our second side.

Win, and they have a huge boost in confidence for the top side.

Disappointing for potentially the biggest crowd at a RL match in NZ for 22 years, maybe ever. Hope the Kiwis put 30 on them. That won't happen as its still a good side, but that would be the only thing that would really make Sheen's move backfire.

johns_reds

First Grade
http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...ng-for-kangaroos/story-fn488j1c-1225947645456

Todd Carney, Chris Lawrence, Matt Scott and Dean Young have all been selected to make their Kangaroos Test debuts against New Zealand.
Kangaroos coach Tim Sheens has dropped fullback Billy Slater and captain Darren Lockyer to make way for Darius Boyd as custodian and new International Player of the Year Todd Carney at five-eighth, with Cameron Smith taking over as skipper.
Kangaroos Team

Darius Boyd, Brett Morris, Brent Tate, Chris Lawrence, Lote Tuqiri, Todd Carney, Cooper Cronk, Matt Scott, Cameron Smith (capt), Dave Shillington, Greg Bird, Sam Thaiday, Paul Gallen.

Interchange: Dean Young, Petero Civoniceva, Tom Learoyd-Lahrs, Robbie Farah, Kurt Gidley.

Sheens said the selections were merit-based and not because the Eden Park match is a dead rubber with with the two unbeaten teams set to meet again in the final in Brisbane.

"Boyd and Carney have actually been in better form this season and in training I was very impressed with how they performed," said Sheens.
"That is why they are in the team."

North Queensland prop Scott comes into the starting side with veteran Petero Civoniceva dropping to the bench while Wests Tigers centre Lawrence replaces Willie Tonga and Dragons hooker Young gets a spot in the bench.
I thought lockyer and slater were the better players out there, Has Lockyer ever been "dropped", surely he is just resting his players?

Last edited:

Joker's Wild

Coach
http://www.nrl.com/news/news/newsar...aussie-debut-completes-fairytale/default.aspx

1.Darius Boyd
2. Brett Morris
3. Brent Tate
4. Chris Lawrence
5. Lote Tuqiri
6. Todd Carney
7. Cooper Cronk
8. Matthew Scott
9. Cameron Smith (c)
10. David Shillington
11. Greg Bird
12. Sam Thaiday
13. Paul Gallen
14. Dean Young
15. Petero Civoniceva
16. Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
17. Robbie Farah
18. Kurt Gidley

That team really doesnt lose much from the one named last week. A bit of experience with Lockyer and Slater out but still plenty of firepower to take it to the Kiwis.

mxlegend99

Referee
It looks like Tim Sheens has no intention of including Darius Boyd in the full strength squad for the final. If he did he would have had him on the wing and not covering for Billy Slater who will definitely be in the squad next week.

It's a disgrace that he can be part of a full strength QLD side (as a winger) that has won 5 series in a row, win the CC medal and be right up there for one of the form players of the competition for the season and not manage to be part of the Australian squad despite injuries to the likes of Jarryd Hayne, Greg Inglis, Justin Hodges, Michael Jennings and Jamie Lyon.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...ng-for-kangaroos/story-fn488j1c-1225947645456

I thought lockyer and slater were the better players out there, Has Lockyer ever been "dropped", surely he is just resting his players?

more likely "rested". if he dropped the Aust captain it'd have a lot more headlines. he knows what slater and lockyer are capable of so he's resting them. probably leaving smith there to see what a carney-cronk-smith combo might look like in the case of injuries or whether to stick carney on the bench in the final

i hope he leaves gidley out

ozenzud

Juniors
I reckon Lockyer is one of the best players I've seen go round over my 40 odd years.

But he is reaching the end of his reign. He ain't been dropped, he has been rested. I actually think Carney will add more flair. He may however be a weakness if he tries to do too much and may not use the men outside as well as Lockyer.

Slater best attacking player in the game so you do loose something with him not there. Slater can do some great cover defence. Boyd is probably safer though.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Well played Tim,

No need to risk the best team, let the other guys get a run, Bird, Young etc.

Should be a good warm up to the final.