What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie to Forum - Old Kogarah Boy

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Hi folks.
Thought l'd better finally get off my backside and join the forum as a whole.
I've been reading the threads for the last couple of years and with the new season all but here, I thought I'd better act.

Not a lot to say except that l'm a babyboomer born and raised in Kogarah, now living on the Gold Coast for the past 27 years.

My father used to run security business ( outside ) at St Gorge Leagues Club back in the late 60's early 70's which allowed me to meet a number of players from that time, none more so than Changa himself.

As a ten year old in 1971, I met Changa at the steps of the club, he signed my ball and l had the pleasure of carrying his football bag with him over to Kogarah Oval for the game that day so it's fair to say, I bleed red & white ........ so do my family.

As an old Kogarah Maro's boy, Kenny Boothroyd ( Dragons trainer ) was our PE teacher and at any given time during the week, players with injuries would visit Kenny in the gym to get some assistance from him .......... ahhh, those were the days!

Sincerely hope we have a decent season for 2017.

Anyway, that's my bit done & dusted, good to be onboard.

Old Timer

Coach
OKB
Welcome on board.
Used to hate playing KMB teams when I was a kid.
In the old days when we played the knockout comps, every one of your kids was the same size and weight, from the half to the prop to the full back they used to look like a Roman army.
We aways had a fat kid, a skinny kid and someones little brother because we were always short lol.
Hopping on the scales (remember the sliding bar and the counter weights) at KJO making sure you were the correct weight wow such a long long time ago but what a thrill it all was especially when your heroes turned up from time to time.
Loved your story about Changa he was my favourite as you can probably tell.
Good luck to you and enjoy.

ALSGI

Bench
OKB1, welcome mate.

We (James Cook) used to run into your lot (Maros) around the the traps, especially after school around the shops at Kograh Station. Never played you guys in the footy but did play against and with many Maros in the weekend comp.

Biggest battle we had was always a competition for the chicks from St George Girls High School and Moorfield Girls High back then - still got a small chip in my front tooth - but you should have seen the Maros boy....lol

Enoy.

Old Timer

Coach
ALSGI
Penshurst and Beverly Hills girls were very nice too.
When we went to play against James Cook High we used to try and tip (as all kids used too) the old double decker bus over as we went over the Allawah bridge.
It was a quick right hand turn by a quick left hand turn and all the kids upstairs jumping from side to side laughing their heads off.
Do any of you remember John Mercer who was a teacher at Hurstville Primary and a local referee?
I think he was actually made a life member of the junior association.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
OKB
Welcome on board.
Used to hate playing KMB teams when I was a kid.
In the old days when we played the knockout comps, every one of your kids was the same size and weight, from the half to the prop to the full back they used to look like a Roman army.
We aways had a fat kid, a skinny kid and someones little brother because we were always short lol.
Hopping on the scales (remember the sliding bar and the counter weights) at KJO making sure you were the correct weight wow such a long long time ago but what a thrill it all was especially when your heroes turned up from time to time.
Loved your story about Changa he was my favourite as you can probably tell.
Good luck to you and enjoy.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

Yes, the inter school competitions were very competitive.
Had many a friend from James Cook and used to hang out down Sans Souci way.

Use to have a few drinks at Mick Morlans but the main hangout was the Georges Sailing Club.
I can still remember driving home with a gut full through the back streets and across Rocky Point Road, snake up along Beverly Park Golf course, back up pass Spooner Park to where we lived on the highway, just near the start of Rocky Point Road.

Of course, the St George Leagues Club was another favourite hang out. Eventually met the future wife there.

I was trying to cast the brain cells back to about 74, still remember seeing Changa at the school with his hands on his hips .......... had nutchrusher tight jeans on, a Hawaiian shirt ( they were all the fashion back then ) and of course, surf beads around the neck ......... classic look!

Of course, I think we were all guilty of crimes against fashion!

Anyway, cheers again.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Great story OKB and could be the season highlight for cheer factor. Any tale that involves Changa makes legendary status for me. Just like Old Timer stated, Chang was also my favourite player and the best I have ever seen to this day......Billy Smith a close second.
I'd hate to think of what they think of the current poorly coached inept attack.

ALSGI

Bench
ALSGI
When we went to play against James Cook High we used to try and tip (as all kids used too) the old double decker bus over as we went over the Allawah bridge.
It was a quick right hand turn by a quick left hand turn and all the kids upstairs jumping from side to side laughing their heads off.
Do any of you remember John Mercer who was a teacher at Hurstville Primary and a local referee?
OT
I'm guessing you were a Hurstville Boys High brat? Was it blue and moroon colours?
Never did the Allawah bridge bus tip thing but wish we did! Never bloody thought of it despite the millions of bus trips over it. Actually we used to walk it to Hurstville Boys or train from Kogarah mostly. I reckon James Cook could have tipped it over though!!!! Weight advantage with our Greek boys!! Lol

Mate, all the St George district girls were beautiful in the 70's, and will remain beautiful unless they hook up with a Queenslander, or a wanker from the Shire or worst.....a Bullgrubs man.

I do remember Mr Mercer !!!!!!

Anyway, "ah, the tranquility".

rasaint

Juniors
Hi OKB I am about 5 years odd older but an old Maro boy myself.

I notice OT saying Maros were all the same size and like a Roman Army. Well not me I was a smaller bloke at outside centre. I played in the same team as the great Robert Stone, an outstanding junior player who went on to big things with the Red V in Bath's babies. We didn't have to give Stoney clean ball, just give him the ball!

One day I ran a ball back into Christian brothers Lewisham pack after a long clearing kick
(Like running into the valley of death) and woke up with Kenny Boothroyd cradling my head and keeping me calm with his soothing pommy accent saying' take it easy son the ambulance is on its way'. Any way good old days.

Yes OT I did meet John Mercer well enough to say he was a gentlemen.

Cheers welcome to the forum, let's hope the Dragons have a good season.

ALSGI

Bench

I notice OT saying Maros were all the same size and like a Roman Army. Well not me I was a smaller bloke at outside centre. I played in the same team as the great Robert Stone, an outstanding junior player who went on to big things with the Red V in Bath's babies. We didn't have to give Stoney clean ball, just give him the ball!

One day I ran a ball back into Christian brothers Lewisham pack after a long clearing kick
(Like running into the valley of death) and woke up with Kenny Boothroyd cradling my head and keeping me calm with his soothing pommy accent saying' take it easy son the ambulance is on its way'. Any way good old days.

Robert Stone - met him many times when I was a kid, mostly doing my paper run. Always tipped me. Legend.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade

Five years older you say, probably in my brothers class.
Our cousin was Principal for a number of years but that was probably after you guys left.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
ALSGI

OT
I when to Hurstville primary 1969 to 1972. Was John Mercer there then.
I don't remember him as a teacher but do remember him as a ref.
My mum was kindergarten teacher at hurstville for many year 1968 to 82.
When I finished at hurstville.
High school I when to Sydney Tech at Bexley.
We use to get killed in league but still enjoyed playing.
I remember going to watch the 1st play kogarah marist and they had robbie stone playing for them.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
OT
I'm guessing you were a Hurstville Boys High brat? Was it blue and moroon colours?
Never did the Allawah bridge bus tip thing but wish we did! Never bloody thought of it despite the millions of bus trips over it. Actually we used to walk it to Hurstville Boys or train from Kogarah mostly. I reckon James Cook could have tipped it over though!!!! Weight advantage with our Greek boys!! Lol

Mate, all the St George district girls were beautiful in the 70's, and will remain beautiful unless they hook up with a Queenslander, or a wanker from the Shire or worst.....a Bullgrubs man.

I do remember Mr Mercer !!!!!!

Anyway, "ah, the tranquility".
No not a Hurstville High boy but did go to the Hurstville Primary for a couple of years where John was a teacher.
When I went to high school we used to get John refereeing games and if you made the semis he was always around refereeing or doing the touchline.
I bumped him many years after school and after a bit of a chin wag he was able to recall lots of things, names, places etc yep a real decent bloke and a good and fair ref.
Carss Park, Cahill Park, Scarborough Park (lots of ovals there) nothing like kicking the footy into the canal watching 6 or so kids go in after it, Bexley Oval (picket fence and the outer ground), James Cook High and occasionally KJO if you were good enough all great memories.

OT
I when to Hurstville primary 1969 to 1972. Was John Mercer there then.
I don't remember him.
My mum was kindergarten teacher at hurstville for many year 1968 to 82.
When I finish at hurstville.
High school I when to Sydney Tech at Bexley.
We use to get killed in league but still enjoyed playing.
I remember going to watch the 1st play kogarah marist and they had robbie stone playing for them.
John was already there when I got there and I finished in 66 but possibly he went to a different school prior to your mum getting there.
John had a bit of a squeaky high pitched voice and a well receded hairline with a bit of a brush over (Brylcream I suspect). He could really blow the pee out of the whistle.
I remember a game against Kingsgrove High at Bexley Oval and the opposition prop had a loose arm and I complained bitterly to John and he didn't do anything but did do a bit of a scratching thing with his boot.
I got the hint and promptly trod on the hand at the end of the loose arm at the next scrum problem resolved.
Stoney was a few years younger than me but he was well known throughout the district as he came up through the juniors.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Great story OKB and could be the season highlight for cheer factor. Any tale that involves Changa makes legendary status for me. Just like Old Timer stated, Chang was also my favourite player and the best I have ever seen to this day......Billy Smith a close second.
I'd hate to think of what they think of the current poorly coached inept attack.

Talking about Billy Smith.
I was at Northies one day and was out the front at closing time.
Waiting for my lift and Billy came out staggering and straight accross the road.
And into a car going the other way.
It hit him and I thought he was gone.
So ran over the other side of the road expecting the worst.
As I got to Billy he just sat up and said dont worry i am ok.
Then just walk of with his mate down the road.
What a tough bugger he is.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
No not a Hurstville High boy but did go to the Hurstville Primary for a couple of years where John was a teacher.
When I went to high school we used to get John refereeing games and if you made the semis he was always around refereeing or doing the touchline.
I bumped him many years after school and after a bit of a chin wag he was able to recall lots of things, names, places etc yep a real decent bloke and a good and fair ref.
Carss Park, Cahill Park, Scarborough Park (lots of ovals there) nothing like kicking the footy into the canal watching 6 or so kids go in after it, Bexley Oval (picket fence and the outer ground), James Cook High and occasionally KJO if you were good enough all great memories.

John was already there when I got there and I finished in 66 but possibly he went to a different school prior to your mum getting there.
John had a bit of a squeaky high pitched voice and a well receded hairline with a bit of a brush over (Brylcream I suspect). He could really blow the pee out of the whistle.
I remember a game against Kingsgrove High at Bexley Oval and the opposition prop had a loose arm and I complained bitterly to John and he didn't do anything but did do a bit of a scratching thing with his boot.
I got the hint and promptly trod on the hand at the end of the loose arm at the next scrum problem resolved.
Stoney was a few years younger than me but he was well known throughout the district as he came up through the juniors.

Thanks for jogging the memory ot.
I do remember him well more his voice.
I never had him as a teacher but I did have him as a ref.
Good ref from what I can remember.

Bench
So nice to hear the stories of the good old days, made me think back to the late sixties when I played for a CYO team ( catholic youth) we were in a division where we were the only catholic team.
Our games were brutal every team wanted to bash the tykes, think we only won one game in two years....

Latest posts