What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Former NRL player Jarrod Mullen suspended

myrrh ken

First Grade
Jeff Robo is still playing halfback. he'll be 35 this year. so there's hope yet.

Him and mundine could form a potent halves partnership

legs 11

Juniors
unlucky for him.....all professional sport is rife with drug use whether steroids or HGH.....i am sure the majority of players have had a cycle or 2 or some sort......a bit like all the jamacian sprint team getting caught out...except bolt......he must be a real freak to be so much better than all the drug cheats...nah...then theres boxers and ufc...it would be irresponsible of any manager to put his fighter at a disadvantage by not using if everyone else is...

mave

Coach
unlucky for him.....all professional sport is rife with drug use whether steroids or HGH.....i am sure the majority of players have had a cycle or 2 or some sort......a bit like all the jamacian sprint team getting caught out...except bolt......he must be a real freak to be so much better than all the drug cheats...nah...then theres boxers and ufc...it would be irresponsible of any manager to put his fighter at a disadvantage by not using if everyone else is...

Unlucky? lol...how about dumb as fk.

wibble

Bench
After all the injuries I cant really blame Mullen for rolling the dice. Probably figured he didn't have long left anyway so if he has a chance at extending his career why not. He probably has a good idea of how many guys get away with it.

Unlucky? lol...how about dumb as fk.

I actually agree with both these contrary views.

It was a gamble that failed, so I guess most failed gambles come out looking stupid. It was also cheating.

But it was a horrible run of injuries that he had, and that was unlucky and unfair, and I can see why someone might feel they needed to gamble to make up for that.

I actually think players should be able to take steroids to overcome injuries.

If I suffered a bad injury, I'd go to the doctor and the doctor would prescribe steroids, because they'd help me get better. The issue with athletes using steroids is that if they use them for a long time, it does damage to them, and so therefore to prevent athletes from having to damage themselves to compete, steroids are banned.

But steroids beneficial effects are finite, I'm sure doctors could tell us when an athlete needs to stop taking them to stop getting an advantage, and if we regularly drug test players, I think they should be able to take steroids when not playing to heal bad injuries, and when the good effects are out of their system, should be able to play.

wibble

Bench
Sounds like an arms race waiting to happen tbh, if we go down that path.

It is already for those who want to cheat.

But why should we stop those professional athletes who want to, from getting the same treatment the rest of us can get, provided they are closely monitored?

Not being able to use steroids for some serious muscle injuries might even be causing long term damage to players compared to how the rest of us can now be treated.

It takes away the "gamble" cheating like Mullen attempted for players who are injured and inclined already to take risks (and are probably feeling pretty down and maybe reckless because of that) just to get back to where they started.

SBD82

Coach
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...arged-over-illegal-drugs-20190529-p51siz.html

Former Newcastle Knights player Jarrod Mullen will face court next month charged over his alleged involvement in a cocaine ring operating in Newcastle.

Mullen has been charged with allegedly supplying cocaine in the Newcastle and Lake Macquarie areas between September and December 2018.

66b4dff32ead6fe205504e4a5eb20632a9fbf774

Newcastle player Jarrod Mullin.Stefan Moore

The 31-year-old was arrested on Wednesday morning and taken to Wollongong Police Station where he spent several hours in custody.

He was later charged with three counts of supplying cocaine and one count of supplying a trafficable quantity of a prohibited drug.

Earlier this year 9Newsrevealed the 31-year-old was at the centre of an investigation into a drug ring operating in the Newcastle and Lake Macquarie area.

Detectives attached to Strike Force Castlestead arrested Mullen on Wednesday morning, making him the eighth person to be charged in relation to the alleged drug syndicate.

"Strike Force Castlestead was formed in September 2018 to investigate and dismantle an alleged drug supply syndicate operating across the Newcastle City and Lake Macquarie Police Districts," NSW Police said in a statement.

Mullen is serving a four-year ban from rugby league after testing positive for steroids in 2017.

The troubled player was once the face of the Knights on a $1 million-per-year deal, and played one game at halfback for NSW in the State of Origin.

Mullen is expected to face Newcastle Local Court on June 20.