What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newcastle Knights Signings/Re-signings thread

Whats Doing

Bench
While Kaufusi has been terrible of late, this is the sort of one year on-the-cheap signing you'd expect when you desperately need to bolster your prop depth. He could be a complete waste of time, or a reasonable choice (you'd think unlikely to be a masterstroke)

Fair comment. Hope he wakes from his slumber for all our sake.

roopy

Referee
Typical of all the players who leave Melbourne.
I don't know what they do down there, but players who go there perform 20% better than they do before they go there, and when they leave they drop right back to their previous level.
The only bloke from Melbourne i'd spend good money on would be their trainer or their junior recruitment guy.

Johns Magic

Referee
Kaufusi has never been good.

He has benefitted more from playing for the Storm than anyone else ever has. Even at the Storm he wasn't good.

He is trash. Seriously in the top 5 players I would hate to see at out club if it was for anything more than minimum wage.

Whats Doing

Bench
Kaufusi has never been good.

He has benefitted more from playing for the Storm than anyone else ever has. Even at the Storm he wasn't good.

He is trash. Seriously in the top 5 players I would hate to see at out club if it was for anything more than minimum wage.

To be fair he did play for Australia, although I agree he should only be on minimum wages now.

Whats Doing

Bench
You don't play for Australia if you don't display some ability. To say that we was never any good is not correct.

You may not rate him and that's your right but he was a lot better than a lot of front rowers at the time. Hopefully he will discover that form with the knights which will be a lot better than what we have got at the moment.

BTW - Just reading on another forum which states he is going pretty good in Qcup.

Big Tim

First Grade
Typical of all the players who leave Melbourne.
I don't know what they do down there, but players who go there perform 20% better than they do before they go there, and when they leave they drop right back to their previous level.
The only bloke from Melbourne i'd spend good money on would be their trainer or their junior recruitment guy.

Maybe they dont get any envelopes after a poor game.....

Rolla

Juniors
So we have officially signed Likiliki and Henry...

The ball is rolling guys, a couple of good prospects locked in.

Kaufusi seems close, could be a good depth signing at the right price.

Now for a dominant forward and a couple of established first starters please.

We really need to throw everything we have at developing henry into a superstar. I would hate to see his potential fall by the wayside like Mullen.
He needs to be eased into first grade under little pressure. He needs to be mentored, he needs to get passionate about the team. Him and Mullen are the halves of the future that we could win a premiership with if they both reach their potential.

Serc

First Grade
But Stone conceded Newcastle's bid for Gasnier was officially a lost cause. The former Test centre is tipped to link with his former club, St George Illawarra, in the next few days.
"Our offer was as good as we could manage and it was quite attractive to him, there's no doubt about it," Stone said.
"But at the end of the day, he's a St George junior.
"I said to him that if he's going back to the Dragons, we can wear that.
"It's not confirmed yet, but if he does go back to the Dragons, I can understand why."
The Knights remain determined to sign some high-calibre players to boost their roster for next season and it is understood they are particularly keen on Melbourne forwards Adam Blair, Sika Manu and Kevin Proctor.

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/local/sport/rugby-league/knights-sign-antonio-kaufusi/1868187.aspx

Maybe we should call whoever has been talking about Blair and Manu in the past few days - Nostradamus! :p

Johns Magic

Referee
Kevin Proctor?

He doesn't even look good in a team that puts 50 on the opposition every week.

Will be seriously disappointed if they see Proctor as an acceptable "high-calibre" signing.

roopy

Referee
Warren Schillings is heading back to the Knights
Interesting signing. I suppose he is 23 now, like all the 2006 Flegg side.
I think he has been playing Qld cup and even a few trials for the Titans.
Big, mean prop who often kept Larry Tuafua out of the side. He actually got suspended for the 2006 grandfinal by going psycho in the semi. People often mistook him for Kade Snowden in those days.

Chook Herron

Juniors
Has been playing pretty well for Ipswich in the Qld cup. He's heading back immediately. I'd assume he'll line up for the Centurians next week.

Big Tim

First Grade
Interesting. I enjoyed his physicality in the '06 Flegg team.

I wonder if he will have any chance of making grade?