What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newtown history.

chelseabree

Juniors
I'll fess up and say I'm a Souths supporter but I have always liked newtown as well. I like going onto other forums and posting pictures from different clubs history that people might like. Tell me if you like it and I'll post some more from my collection.
This is the final with Newtown against South Sydney.

IMG_0004-7.jpg

greg

Juniors
Great to see Chelseabree. Unfortunately I was not able to get into the article to edit it and re-write history. Feel free to post more if you have it. Makes for interesting reading in the off season.

bluebag43

Juniors
Thanks Chelseabree,

What fantastic sides Newtown and Souths had in the mid 50's.

If only Newtown and Souths were still the glamour sides in Australian football, I guess we can dream!

BUT you never know what twists and turns the future can bring!

On the lft hand side there are two team lists, the top one says that it's Newtown (with white and a red vee????) but it looks to be like a St George reserve grade side - anyone confirm?

Jeffles

Bench
On the lft hand side there are two team lists, the top one says that it's Newtown (with white and a red vee????) but it looks to be like a St George reserve grade side - anyone confirm?

It must be a typo. They say ST George colours but the names are all Newtown - including the names of many blokes in the actual GF side.

Dick Poole, Bobby Whitton, Frank Narvo, Pony Holloway, Ray Preston, Kevin Consodine etc. It might be a squad or reserves list. Not a reserve grade list by the looks of it.

Jeffles

Bench
Looking again, it looks like some sort of numerical squad list for the starting lineup which is rearranged by position.

chelseabree

Juniors
Here is another one from my collection. A famous game - apparantly a very poor game until Jack Gibson had a brainwave and sent on Ken Wilson. Ken was said to have the potential to be a brilliant prospect as an Aussie Rules champ - as his father was. This was the first 1-0 game. Has there been any others?

IMG_0001-11.jpg

bluebagger

Juniors
Thanks for sharing this Chelseabree. I was at the 1-0 game . It wasn't much of a game. My dad was at the 55 grand final & knew Bobby Whitton quite well. I was also at the 0-0 game v Canterbury on a wet day at Henson Park.

chelseabree

Juniors
Now I know you will say that this is only a photocopy but it still makes a good read. I think that this is the greatest game ever played by Newtown and indeed the greatest game EVER. Think about it- a brilliant South Sydney side that had won the premiership the last year undefeated and were to win for three more years after this one. Against this a Newtown side that was not to make the semis for a few years. Souths rattle up 15-0 by half time. "In the bag say Souths supporters'. After half time another try! 18-0. The rest- as they say- is history.

IMG_0003-10.jpg

chelseabree

Juniors
Here is a page from the program soon after the game- better quality.
Does anybody know what happened to the family of Jack Holmes- surely the saddest story in the history of rugby league?

IMG-27.jpg

boo_boo

Juniors
Great stuff Chelseabree.
The historical value of both Souths & Newtown should never be allowed to be forgotten.

bluebag43

Juniors
Love your work Chelseabree, keep it coming.

Halcyon days when Newtown and Souths were the pride of the League!

bluebag43

Juniors
Your right Chelseabree, I loved it!

I have never seen that article before and was unaware a new commitee was brought in by the League to administer its affairs after a 1953-54 audit! AND by the end of 1955 debts were paid off and players were paid handsome bonuses for that time.

chelseabree

Juniors
Yes there is something I read somewhere that Newtown nearly ceased to exist in the early 50s. I'm not sure of the details or even if it true.
Anyway I'm glad you likes it . Have you seen this one?
IMG_0001-57.jpg

IMG_0002-55.jpg

axl rose

Bench
thx chelsea. very enjoyable.

I have some copies of Rugby League News at home from 1968. I wonder what happened to this mag? it became RLW i suppose.

chelseabree

Juniors
No RUGBY LEAGUE NEWS became BIG LEAGUE in 1974. RLW started in 1970. Three other publications were RUGY LEAGUE PICTORIAL which ran fro 1968 to 1969, RUGBY LEAGUE LIFE which went for 1968 and RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD which went from 1969 to 1975 I think. Anyway- speaking of Rugby League News here is a cover from 1961 of interest to Newtown fams.

IMG_0003-33.jpg