What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newtown history.

bluebag43

Juniors
Thanks again Chelseabree, your a genius!

I'd like to meet you at the Souths/Newtown game at Redfern next year if we can arrange it!

jackb

Juniors
Fantastic chelseabree - I just love this historical stuff. I,m been a Souths man from 1965 and I well remember some of the great games between Souths and Newtown. I hope to read some more of these articles in the Souths Leagues Club when it is reopened.

The Redfern match against Newtown will be a terrific day and I will be there to cheer both teams on. Would love to meet up with yourself and other Souths supporters after the game in the leagues club and invite our Newtown friends to join us for a beer. Plenty of good stories to talk about and celebrate.

Thanks for the memories mate - please keep them coming.

chelseabree

Juniors
Thanks for your kind words. I have a big collection- mainly to do with Souths of course but a lot of other stuff as well. I will continue to post items as long as you keep telling me you like them. I would love to meet you for a beer sometime too.
Here is the first book I ever read on football. It was in the Kiama HS library and it had a good coverage of the game and club histories. Here is the Newtown section.

IMG-74.jpg

IMG_0001-59.jpg

IMG_0002-57.jpg

Buddah

Juniors
Thanks for your kind words. I have a big collection- mainly to do with Souths of course but a lot of other stuff as well. I will continue to post items as long as you keep telling me you like them. I would love to meet you for a beer sometime too.
Here is the first book I ever read on football. It was in the Kiama HS library and it had a good coverage of the game and club histories. Here is the Newtown section.

IMG-74.jpg

IMG_0001-59.jpg

IMG_0002-57.jpg
Any idea as to where I can get a copy of this book?

chelseabree

Juniors
I don't know. Keep your eye out in e-bay- you never know. Here are some good things from a good Newtown year 1929 and remembering a VERY good Newtown year 1910.

IMG_0004-28.jpg

IMG_0005-28.jpg

boo_boo

Juniors
Reading all of this stuff really makes me sad to see how the game has developed into a game where soon working men & women wont be able to support because we simply cant afford it.
Bring back Norths, Balmain, Wests & Newtown, invite Souths & Easts & hold an annual Inner City Cup every year for the clubs that helped establish the game in Sydney.

RedVee

First Grade
Thanks Chelseabree.

I'm a Saints fan, but have had held Newtown in high regard. I played Mathews Cup for Newtown in 76 (scored 1 of the 2 tries we managed in the tourney at Berkeley), and repped for Newtown at the 76 Grand Final in the pre game athletics and guard of honour, and played many games at Henson over the years for Lewisham. So, I hope you guys don't consider me a troll.

I was at the 1-0 game at the SCG, although I wasn't happy with the result! :)

Great to read about Bob Whitton, I also played for the Holman club in the Wests comp and had the opportunity to talk to Keith Holman on a few ocassions, he told me a few times that Bobby Whitton was one of the hardest competitors he ever played against and was very unlucky not to have repped for Australia as he was worthy of the honour.

Dick Pooles name rings bells as well, my Dad played golf at Marrickville GC for 30 odd years and was on nodding terms with Dick.

My school had a long association as a feeder to Newtown, with many players such as the Ellis' & Paul Ackery coming through. In around 80/81 at one time I think the whole Newtown U23s backline (at least for a game or two) were Lewisham products, including Steve Lawrence on the wing - who I am fairly sure would be the father of Wests Tigers current International, Chris.

boo_boo

Juniors
I dont think it matters who you support in the NRL, Newtown's place in the game of Rugby League must always be respected & never allowed to be forgotten.
Although i am a Souths supporter since 1967 i hold on the memories of the Bluebags & will never forget the contribution the club made to the game especially when it was still struggling to build a following.
Newtown will always be my 2nd side & a club i truely respect & admire.

bluebag43

Juniors
Once again Boo Boo, well said and thanks for those very kind words about my beloved Club.

AND Red Vee with your background and knowledge, you would never be considered a troll on our site!

AND Red Vee I can confirm that Steve Lawrence that played for Newtown is Chris Lawrence's dad!

boo_boo

Juniors
bluebag43, i will never tire of praising the Newtown club because to me they are a very big part of what's so good about the game.
I remember the early 80's when going to Henson Park & Redfern Oval was something to embrace because of the historical value that both Newtown & Souths bought to the game.
Both clubs were drenched in that gritty Inner City culture that was so expertly portrayed in The Final Winter but it was real & could never be manufactured.
To be honest i'm very critical of the modern game with all it's political correctness & players who think they are bigger than the game itself.
The game at Redfern Oval cant come quick enough for me & to see the Bunnies & Bluebags do battle at Redfern once more is a dream come true.

RedVee

First Grade
Once again Boo Boo, well said and thanks for those very kind words about my beloved Club.

AND Red Vee with your background and knowledge, you would never be considered a troll on our site!

AND Red Vee I can confirm that Steve Lawrence that played for Newtown is Chris Lawrence's dad!

Thank you bluebag43, I have a lot of respect for the deeds of the old Newtown over the years. Even when they were terrible they always played with a bit of heart, something that can't always be said.

I was pretty sure about Lawro - just by circumstancial evidence - but lets just say Chris Lawrences Mum must have been a good sprinter, because Chris is a hell of a lot faster than his old man ever was!!!! :)

chelseabree

Juniors
Here are some more pages from that book. The 1926 game against Souths is I think the greatest game of all time.

IMG_0006-16.jpg

IMG_0007-9.jpg

chelseabree

Juniors
here is a little bit about Newtown in 1929. All the Kangaroos were leaving and Newtown were set to make the semis and the grand final.

IMG_0030.jpg

Loito

Juniors
Ive just stumbled across this discussion, and was wondering if anyone knew whether team photos still exist for the Jets of 1935 and 1936. My grandfather (Albert Elvy) played in that team.

chelseabree

Juniors
I have only one reference I can see of him. I have a program from Aug 10 1935 with A Elvy playing reserve grade - in the second row I think, against South Sydney. oh and Reserve grade against Easts june 20 1936

Pete Cash

Post Whore
This thread is actually amazing. Thanks for all the scans. I am a Raiders supporter and I was born the year Newtown left topflight footy in this country but I live pretty much in Newtown and I have a huge interest in Australian history. I have enjoyed all the scans.

bluebag43

Juniors
Pete Cash, Have you ventured over to a game at Royal & Historic Henson yet?

They are playing the New Zealand Vulcans there this Saturday!